brake fade - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 112 Old 02-13-2007, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

brake fade

Finally got a chance to do a track day and really put the front brakes though their paces. I have SS lines, Pazzos, and RBF600 fluid, all else is stock. I noticed that after the first few sessions, my brake lever pulled back more than normal. I bled tha brakes before the track day with a mityvac and the lever felt great when cold.

Would the brembo MC and some Vesrah RJLs solve this problem?

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 02-13-2007, 11:34 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I'd try the RJL's first... assuming you are using the stock pads, they may not be able to hold up to track day kind of abuse. Also, my experience has shown that the mityvac is only good for priming the system when installing new lines but I have always still had to go back and do some more bleeding on each caliper by hand... so maybe try that to see if you have any more air bubbles trapped in there. If all else fails, I've never used one but sounds like the brembo m/c is where it's at!
post #3 of 112 Old 02-13-2007, 11:49 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I may as well jump in and open this can of worms right now. There are two things that will cause brake fade. One is the effects of heat on the rotor and pads that cause your coefficient of friction to decrease. This is usually from gases migrating out of the pads and keeping the friction low between the rotor and pads. You can squeeze the lever really hard with little braking taking place. This type of fade doesn't make your lever travel change.
The other type of fade occurs when you get gases in the fluid. This can be from poor bleeding (air) or boiling fluid. Brake fluid won't compress, gases will. This type of fade makes your lever travel farther for a given brake pressure. Eventually, the lever can contact the grip if enough gas builds up. Obviously, the fluid boils in the caliper, behind the pistons, where the heat is. It doesn't matter what you are using to push on that gas bubble, it will be mushy until the fluid cools and the gas condenses back to a fluid. So changing your master cylinder to fix a problem with brake fade is chasing ghosts. Concentrate on the root of the problem first. Just my .02......
rkremer likes this.

post #4 of 112 Old 02-14-2007, 12:42 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The m/c is the problem with the 10's brakes. That's why many people swapped the 10's m/c with the '05 6R radial m/c. That improves things a bit, but after a few sessions the lever will still come to the bar. I haven't tried it yet, but the brembo m/c is supposed to cure the problem.

As for the pads, aftermarket ones, especially vesrahs, will increase braking power but the stock pads don't have anything to do with your lever coming to the bar.
post #5 of 112 Old 02-14-2007, 02:03 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The Brembo m/c will not cure the problem. Whoever said that is blowing smoke.
post #6 of 112 Old 02-14-2007, 02:19 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RPilot
I may as well jump in and open this can of worms right now. There are two things that will cause brake fade. One is the effects of heat on the rotor and pads that cause your coefficient of friction to decrease. This is usually from gases migrating out of the pads and keeping the friction low between the rotor and pads. You can squeeze the lever really hard with little braking taking place. This type of fade doesn't make your lever travel change.
The other type of fade occurs when you get gases in the fluid. This can be from poor bleeding (air) or boiling fluid. Brake fluid won't compress, gases will. This type of fade makes your lever travel farther for a given brake pressure. Eventually, the lever can contact the grip if enough gas builds up. Obviously, the fluid boils in the caliper, behind the pistons, where the heat is. It doesn't matter what you are using to push on that gas bubble, it will be mushy until the fluid cools and the gas condenses back to a fluid. So changing your master cylinder to fix a problem with brake fade is chasing ghosts. Concentrate on the root of the problem first. Just my .02......

Well said that man!!

Stock hose routing on the 10 with that stupid cross over hose is usually the place the air is hiding. Take the left caliper off put something (piece of alloy / steel) between the pads to simulate the rotor think about where the air will go (hint it rises ;-)).

One thing I have seen way too many times is that when the pads are changed most people just press the pistons back in without first cleaning them. This gunks up the pistons stopping their designed tendency to retract the pistons and pads from the disk surface and ensures that the pads rub on the rotor, this in turn stops them from cooling as much as they should.

Last shot!! Often medium speed riders spend too much time on the brakes, what I mean here is braking gently for a long time rather than getting it over and done with in less time, this also gives the pads less time to cool down and can induce fade. In fact I would even consider a wager that this type of rider heats the brakes more than a hot shoe????
post #7 of 112 Old 02-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12RPilot
The Brembo m/c will not cure the problem. Whoever said that is blowing smoke.
And again !!

Nice feel though....
post #8 of 112 Old 02-14-2007, 07:00 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Your lever pulls farther back now because you prob dissolved half the pad.

If your not first, your last
-Ricky Bobby-
post #9 of 112 Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to grover
I put steal lines and galfer hh pads on mine right after i bought it. Did a track day and got really bad brake fade. Put a brembo m/c on it and now have no more fade at all. Replace the m/c, it really will make a huge difference.

KRONREIF TRUNKENPOLZ MATTIGHOFEN

post #10 of 112 Old 02-14-2007, 08:54 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah. Pushing on those vapor pockets with a different m/c makes all the difference in the world. Believe who you want fellers. It ain't my money.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.