Boosted 2nd gen build - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 12-23-2017, 07:29 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Boosted 2nd gen build

I've been running a dry nitrous set up for a couple years now & just abusing this bike generally speaking for 30k miles. I put it together to do Everything from track days (had to unhook nitrous ☹) to roll racing on the intersate with the goal of still being reliable. Motor is toast so Now I finally have an excuse to build a low compression motor for boost.

With that being said I'm shooting for a "reliable" 300-350 whp street monster to run with high end cars from 60-100 up rolls. I've had much better luck in the past surprising people what can be done without a stretched swing arm so I believe I'll be better off ramping up my boost in a linear manner to keep thing "under control".

So my question is, is this even really possible to build and have the motor last any length of time? I realize na applications are best but no chance of the power i want. I'm curious about longevity for my application. It seems like 20 lbs of boost is going to be the magic number according to spazonazx thread. My budget for the build is no more than 15k (motor work and fab work will be done by a shop that I have yet to decide on). I would like to roll around on 6lbs and be able to switch maps on the fly for the hit. I'd hate to give up the Ability to cruise around occasionally but my primary concern building something fast enough to win but reliable enough to ride to and from the hit. (As well as run wot for a reasonable distance when necessary. )

Sorry for being long winded, spazonazx I'd appreciate input about longevity of internals. You're making some really impressive numbers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-23-2017, 01:45 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

It's possible, spaz already told you what it takes, $15k is more than enough to get it done.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-23-2017, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercoupe9 View Post
It'sj possible, spaz already told you what it takes, $15k is more than enough to get it done.

I understand that, however from what I gathered from his thread it's built for a completely different purpose & from what it sounds like it doesn't see any street time. Considering I'm not the one building the motor, a rebuild will be much more costly so I was hoping to find out about longevity of the motor at high psi. I couldn't find anything other than posts about how a trailer queen lasted with their 300 tire and a turbo at 6 lbs. I've heard stories of drag guys tearing down motors every other weekend. Maybe it's bullshit? Don't care much about the strip so I wouldn't know. My build was fairly modest at 240 whp with a dry kit and I am new to turbos entirely.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-23-2017, 02:44 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doped2ndgen View Post
I understand that, however from what I gathered from his thread it's built for a completely different purpose & from what it sounds like it doesn't see any street time. Considering I'm not the one building the motor, a rebuild will be much more costly so I was hoping to find out about longevity of the motor at high psi. I couldn't find anything other than posts about how a trailer queen lasted with their 300 tire and a turbo at 6 lbs. I've heard stories of drag guys tearing down motors every other weekend. Maybe it's bullshit? Don't care much about the strip so I wouldn't know. My build was fairly modest at 240 whp with a dry kit and I am new to turbos entirely.
Unfortunately i couldn't tell you how long the engine would last, in 13 years of production there has only been few people that turbocharged zx10r, the rest been playing with power commanders/ecu flashes/and air filters , but you already know this if you tried looking for info.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-23-2017, 11:51 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

My 07 is has been turboed for about a year. It is ridden most days of the week. Up until about two weeks ago it was running 5.5lbs of boost and was making around 220hp at the wheels. All stock internals. Been to the circuit a few times. Last time was at 8lbs of boost. Has not blown up yet.

I am at the limit I feel comfortable without a custom intercooler or water injection. You will most likely need one of these if you want a streetable 300+ bhp. There is not a lot of room so an intercooler, so will probably need an air/water plenum which cost a fair amount of money.

In my opinion, you have to weigh up your power goals to your streetability. I don't see how you could get 350 bhp without lowering your compression and that is going to make it a bit more sluggish off boost. You might be able to do it with E85 but who knows how the stock engine will go.

Have you ridden a 250bhp bike? They really are a handful. My bike was power wheeling down the straight the other day at 240kph. A 350bhp bike would probably be a lot more fun but it will be a lot more work and money. A much easier path would be just to buy a Hayabusa or ZX14. Lots of proven off the shelf components.
SpazOnaZX likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 12-24-2017, 10:06 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Ha Ha! I love this stuff! You're in for a lot of fun and surprises. :) I too am quite wordy, so here it goes:

First and foremost, my bike is still a streetbike. Pump gas and street tuning.... it's never been on a stationary dyno since the turbo went on it. I don't ride it every day anymore, but that's because I have something with bags for commuting... and every day commuting on a turbo 10R is really not fun. You'd think it would be a riot, and it is from time to time, but accessing that kind of performance takes a lot of empty straight road if you want to survive. 'Nuff said on that.

Reliable is all about the parts you use and how you maintenance them, along with how aggressive you tune it for a given fuel. Maintenance is key. Fuel systems WILL clog up and fail over time, this is just a fact. The more you ride it the faster this happens. On an NA bike this isn't to big a deal, it starts running like crap and you fix it. On a turbo bike it still runs great, and then it promptly melts the rings into the pistons. With advanced electronics you can mitigate a lot of that 'Surprise!' factor; AFR failsafes, fuel pressure failsafes, knock control, meticulous attention to datalogging, etc. If you plan on having someone else do all your building/tuning, though, THAT part will get really expensive, really quick. In reality you're looking in more money/time in management then you are in actual hard parts if you want reliability....it's not for the faint of heart.

Enough gloom and doom.... If you want something that will stomp 1000hp cars 15psi will get you there. Problem is you will need a lot of chassis work to keep it on the ground. Even with 19/39 gearing I can't get on to wastegate pressure (7psi) in first gear, and 2nd is sketchy. I ramp boost based on mph, and the thing doesn't settle down until about 185mph. I thought I could be a short wheelbase hero when I started all this nonsense... and I was (and still am) completely unprepared for how hard it is to ride like that. Put some arm to it, and definitely work on suspension before you try to throw more than 10 psi at the thing.... more power will just make you slower until you do.

Don't go too low on the static compression if it is going to live on the street. Good rods (crower or carrillo), pistons coatings, upgraded valves/retainers/springs will go a long way. If you get it to hook up at higher boost levels you'll probably want to look into better clutch basket options. USE GOOD FUEL, and/or use water injection. If you want reliability, you have to have repeat-ability... switching fuels and tunes frequently will lead you to problems. If you use water injection, you need intelligent failsafes for that built in to your management. Gauges just don't cut it... they're good for spot checking, but you just can't focus on them when it's doing what it does at 14+ psi. :) You can't have too good of a fuel system.... If you're only going to use 4 injectors I would recommend Injector Dynamics.

If you were doing all the work yourself, 15K will get you there easy. If you're paying someone else for everything, that might be a tight budget for something reliable. Sure you can spend 4K-6K and have it up and running and kicking ass, but getting it to survive 100's of passes requires a lot more time and effort.

Fun stuff!

Attack life... it's going to kill you anyway.
post #7 of 20 Old 12-24-2017, 10:19 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doped2ndgen View Post
With that being said I'm shooting for a "reliable" 300-350 whp street monster to run with high end cars from 60-100 up rolls. I've had much better luck in the past surprising people what can be done without a stretched swing arm so I believe I'll be better off ramping up my boost in a linear manner to keep thing "under control".

So my question is, is this even really possible to build and have the motor last any length of time? I realize na applications are best but no chance of the power i want. I'm curious about longevity for my application. It seems like 20 lbs of boost is going to be the magic number according to spazonazx thread. My budget for the build is no more than 15k (motor work and fab work will be done by a shop that I have yet to decide on). I would like to roll around on 6lbs and be able to switch maps on the fly for the hit. I'd hate to give up the Ability to cruise around occasionally but my primary concern building something fast enough to win but reliable enough to ride to and from the hit. (As well as run wot for a reasonable distance when necessary. )
...to directly answer a question or two

60-100 is nonsense... that's stock bike territory and not even working a turbo bike. If you want to keep it under 140 I wouldn't recommend the turbo route for a streetbike. Now, if you want to build a grudge turbo bike that's a whole different story. :)

7Psi will be 50% more power... so depending on what dyno yoo believe that will be 225-250hp. That will be more than a swb bike can handle up to about 120mph. 15psi will get you to double stock power, and will make 140mph+ rolling power wheelies a reality. Fun, but not fast.

A well built and well managed motor can live a long time at 15 psi from my experience. I'm up to several years and hundreds and hundreds of passes. Your experience may vary. ;)

Chassis wins races, power makes it fun to ride. You have to pick how far you want to go in which direction. There are plenty of NA bikes that would kick sand in my face in a quarter mile or the 60-120 race. Chassis would fix that in a heartbeat.

post #8 of 20 Old 12-25-2017, 07:32 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike View Post
My 07 is has been turboed for about a year. It is ridden most days of the week. Up until about two weeks ago it was running 5.5lbs of boost and was making around 220hp at the wheels. All stock internals. Been to the circuit a few times. Last time was at 8lbs of boost. Has not blown up yet.

I am at the limit I feel comfortable without a custom intercooler or water injection. You will most likely need one of these if you want a streetable 300+ bhp. There is not a lot of room so an intercooler, so will probably need an air/water plenum which cost a fair amount of money.

In my opinion, you have to weigh up your power goals to your streetability. I don't see how you could get 350 bhp without lowering your compression and that is going to make it a bit more sluggish off boost. You might be able to do it with E85 but who knows how the stock engine will go.

Have you ridden a 250bhp bike? They really are a handful. My bike was power wheeling down the straight the other day at 240kph. A 350bhp bike would probably be a lot more fun but it will be a lot more work and money. A much easier path would be just to buy a Hayabusa or ZX14. Lots of proven off the shelf components.

that is encouraging to know that its made it that far on stock internals that long. i know you said stock internals but are you running stock compression or a thicker head gasket to lower compression at all?

power is definitely the priority over streetablity. if it needs to trailered out there ill invest in an enclosed trailer as well but being able to ride to and from would definitely be preferable for the sake of emergencies. i care nothing about riding it on a daily basis just a couple dozen passes on the weekends. i just want to make sure its built to hold up for as long as possible. id considered being more conservative to begin with but i dont see a point in spending the money without doing it the way i want the first time and tweaking it where i need to. my 10 was pushing 240 and some change on a progressive controller & 2 stage system and eventually blew up with 100 shot because i only had shimmed my valves and replaced my rockers. so i am familiar with that kind of power, just not boost. (this was also swb). i realize a 14 or busa would be an easier route, but im more interested in building something different.
post #9 of 20 Old 12-26-2017, 11:18 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Sounds like you have your head in the right place. :)

I ran a 100% stock motor @ 13 psi for a bit, but I had a fueling/water injection mistake that killed it. That was entirely my fault, and I firmly believe it would have lived for quite a while at that power level, so long as due diligence was done on maintenance, but that has more to due with water injection than anything else.

That being said, stock parts really aren't set up for that kind of abuse. You want a bit more spring pressure to offset the intake/exhaust pressure levels, and you want a valve that can handle the additional spring pressure (I have no idea what you mean by 'rockers' in your nitrous adventure, though, as this is a cam-on-bucket engine?). Ring gap is crucial in these sort of applications... I've found that stock ring gaps are actually pretty wide most of the time, but not checking it/setting it after a 40% power increase is asking for trouble. Taking the rods out warrants a replacement of the stock rod bolts, and replacing the rod bolts is a press-in affair... you'll want to check/resize the rods when you do that. At that point you are more than half-way to a set of Crower's, and that is some of the best insurance you can buy right there. Stock pistons are good, but crown & skirt coatings can go a long way for extra reliability... but who does that to stock pistons when a set of Wossner's is about 500 bucks? If you want to lower your static compression you WANT to do it with piston dish, NOT a headgasket. You loose squish/quench when you go the gasket route, and that actually hurts detonation resistance. I went with a lower comp piston and a thinner gasket to get the PTH clearance down as much as is reasonable. You pick up a minimal amount of compression, but you actually reduce octane requirement... it's free power if you do it right.

....it spirals out of hand pretty quick, eh? Honestly, I wouldn't bother if you kept it under 10psi, but over that it would be a gamble to run it on a stock engine. Biggest thing I would say is run good fuel. If you're willing to trailer it everywhere, run something like C16 (non-intercooled) or Q16 if you intercool/can afford it. These motors rarely fail from too much power, it's almost always a fuel related issue or poor clearance/matching on parts. A little more oil pressure/volume never hurt things either... shimming the relief valve can get you there easily. Don't forget head studs... and case studs too. Shit, still spiraling, isn't it?

Last edited by SpazOnaZX; 12-27-2017 at 08:26 AM.
post #10 of 20 Old 12-26-2017, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

sorry, i probably should have been more clear, i mean Starting at 100 mph rolls pulling to 180 plus most of the time. (ive done 60 most of the time in the past when i had the 40 shot, probably shouldnt be considered with boost i guess. ignorant expectation on my part). most of the cars in my area are gtrs and built vettes. however id love to build something to run with a few of the cars around here pushing 1800 whp) plenty of wide open road here, just have to venture further in to south carolina.

you make a very good point about multiple maps being a poor option. i guess i will go further in the direction of something that will need to be on a trailer vs streetable but itd be nice to be confident ill make it home riding in a pinch. if thats the case i might as well run race gas, if i have to stop for gas im f***ed at that point anyway. i missed that in your thread that you were running pump gas i was also under the impression reading your thread it was more dedicated to land speed racing as time went on, so forgive me for being wrong there.

im capable of alot of the fab work, and whats over my head can be done by someone else at work (i work in a fab shop). the motor is over my head, the extent of my knowledge there is some top end work. with the money im planning on i dont think its the ideal learning project . pretty much everything else either i can do or can do with the help of some buddies. i also have a good friend at a race shop who works wonders with data logs and trouble shooting so im not overly concerned about that.

an arm is beginning to sound like a better idea, i guess im better off taking my ego out of that equation. this should have been posted yesterday, ive been having trouble with logging in. keeps requesting for a password reset..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in