Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Bluetooth Questions

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Chriscm922 
#1 ·
I've done some searching and reading of reviews, but most of them are reviews of first getting the product. I'm debating on getting a bluetooth system for my helmet. Here is my scenario...typically I just use headphones with my phone in my pocket and was planning on getting a pair that could play/pause the music. Decided to research some bluetooth options as I imagine that would be a bit more comfortable, mainly with just the putting on and taking off the helmet. My typical daily ride is a 50 mile commute to work, mostly highway with speeds averaging 60-70 and ranging anywhere from 0-120. I'm more concerned with being able to hear the music when I'm cruising at 80 and it not getting drowned out. I looked at the Sena 20S and figured if I'm going to put out that money, might as well spend more and get the Sena 10C. I'd just use the camera as more of a dash cam type because if you're from around MD, you know how DC and Baltimore traffic is. I know dudewhrsmybike was saying he had issues with the speakers not being the greatest with the 20S, and the 10C is essentially the same. Ideally I want a system that sounds good and functions overall, a camera is not that important. Just seeing what everyone has experienced and recommends to help make a decision on whether to buy a system or new headphones. Thanks.

#3 ·
i have the sena smh10 and it works great. Music isnt as good as my bose earbuds but no issues hearing it. intercom works great as well. only complaint is no handlebar controls

Reactions: th3r3ds0x
#5 ·
Smh10

I have the SMH10, 2 of them. I want to upgrade to the 20s. If you want to buy my 2 SMH10's and 3 helmet adaptors, I will sell them to you for $120 shipped. They are great. I have used them for 1 year and they are just as advertised. I have used them on 12 hour run on the Blue Ridge Parkway. They work 100% for music and voice. Best I can think of.
Let me know.
thanks

#11 ·
Not an exact solution for what you want, but some opinions on the subject:

If sound quality is what you want, I'd highly recommend trying a pair of Plugfones. I've had a few pairs over the last 4 years and they're amazing. Unless you get something that blocks out ambient noise, it's always going to be a battle of your speakers trying to overpower your engine and wind noise. Plugfones allow you to listen at a reasonable level, with amazing clarity, while still letting in enough ambient noise that you can hear stuff like emergency vehicles and your engine. They don't cost any more than a normal pair of earbuds, and mine have lasted about a year on average, riding several days a week, year round.
https://www.plugfones.com/hearing-protection/motorcycle-earplugs/

As for bluetooth headset, the cheap ones on Ebay aren't bad. I bought a set of 2 that lasted about 3 years before the headset connector started getting flakey. For what they cost, I got my money's worth. You can hear the other person clearly up until about 90-100km/h, then it gets a little difficult. I think the major bottleneck for all these systems is trying to push loud, clear sound out of tiny, thin speakers. I recently bought a replacement that uses a standard 3.5mm TRRS jack to attach the headset. With this, I can plug my Plugfones straight into it without any adapters or custom wiring. I've been meaning to build an adapter so I can get a mic into my helmet, but haven't got around to it. I did this for my first set and it worked well, but for the amount I ride with anyone else that also has a system, or take calls on my phone, it's not a high priority right now.

Haven't used a Sena, so can't speak for them. They do seem to be the standard for bluetooth headsets, but they're also pretty pricey. I'm not aware of any that can be used with 3.5mm headphones out of the box (I could easily be wrong here). Most of them seem to come with helmet mounted speakers. I would expect the performance and issues to be similar.

#12 ·
I ended up going with the Sena 20s. I looked at the uClear but I liked the fact the Sena had FM so I could get traffic updates. That was pretty much the main selling point. I hooked it up and the speakers definitely seem loud enough. They seem louder than my headphones so hopefully they work well on the highway. Other than that, install was pretty simple and it doesn't look to bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.