Gen 3: 2008-2010 Backfires into airbox - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By LDH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 10-15-2015, 01:12 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Backfires into airbox

Has anyone had this. On startup the bike backfires into the airbox Then pressurized crankcase and blew camcover gasket out. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Akra Full system -K&N A/F - velocity stacks,Dyno-Tune Nitrous, 20 oz bottles with Purge,pressure gauge, Dynojet P/C V,Dynojet ing.Mod.GuhlMotors,Reflashed ECU, Block off plates, EK 520 ZZZ chain,Vortex and Supersprox sprocket,Roaring Toyz 5 position lowering link, Driven Axle block,Shogun frame sliders, R&G Racing case sliders,Vortex clip-ons,ASV short levers, PMR Killswitch,Galfer SS brake lines, EBC Extreme pads ,Galfer wave roto, Vortex rearset, Ohlins race steering damper.and More 250 HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-15-2015, 02:35 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I did that once... Too much tequila at a Quinceañera. It was ugly
ZX10RArcher likes this.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-15-2015, 06:08 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Sounds like it fired 180deg out, could be crank or cam sensor.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-15-2015, 11:24 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Obstruction in exhaust...my guess
post #5 of 9 Old 10-16-2015, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

backfires into airbox

Sorry I know its the second post. Has anyone had this. On startup only the bike backfires into the airbox Then pressurized crankcase and blew camcover gasket out. Runs fine other than that. Only happened twice over race weekend. ideas would be appreciated.

Akra Full system -K&N A/F - velocity stacks,Dyno-Tune Nitrous, 20 oz bottles with Purge,pressure gauge, Dynojet P/C V,Dynojet ing.Mod.GuhlMotors,Reflashed ECU, Block off plates, EK 520 ZZZ chain,Vortex and Supersprox sprocket,Roaring Toyz 5 position lowering link, Driven Axle block,Shogun frame sliders, R&G Racing case sliders,Vortex clip-ons,ASV short levers, PMR Killswitch,Galfer SS brake lines, EBC Extreme pads ,Galfer wave roto, Vortex rearset, Ohlins race steering damper.and More 250 HP

Last edited by oldkamikaze; 10-16-2015 at 11:37 AM.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-16-2015, 01:41 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
I've merged the threads. There's no reason for the second one.

How would backfiring into the airbox cause the crankcase to over pressurize? A "back-fire" is usually a constant flame propagation out of the combustion chamber back up through the carbs (throttlebodies for fuel-injected systems, but it's very rare for that to happen). It's usually not a "pop" as much as it is a quick burning flame.

From what you're describing, the flame propagated out of the combustion chamber, up through the throttlebodies, and instead of the pressure escaping out the massive ram air duct at the front of the bike, it went back down through the 3/4" crank breather line, pressurized the crankcase, and then back up through the cam chain tunnel to pop the valve cover gasket. Is that what I'm reading you think happened? Sounds really far-fetched. Not saying it couldn't happen that way, but it's not plausible. I'd expect you to blow the airbox apart first or the pressure to go out the front of the bike before it had any chance of overpressurizing the crankcase and popping a valve cover gasket.

So, do you have a leaking injector? One that allows fuel to go to one cylinder while it's sitting for awhile? And then on startup, it ignites the raw fuel and the flame goes back up the intake track? The valves should be closed in this instance so I'd be inspecting the fuel injectors and the valves not sealing properly as the first thing. It may also be a bad or intermittent crank sensor or camshaft sensor as well as already stated.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 9 Old 10-16-2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for merging the two I didn't know which thread to put it in to get the best result. Its not a bang like you would get from the exhaust but it is a good pop. Why it would go down a 3/4 inch tube and not out the ram air inlet I have no idea. But that was the only thing I could come up with. All I know is that there was enough pressure under the cam cover to blow out a two inch piece of the gasket. I will check the crank sensor and see if the injectors are leaking. Thanks for all your help and time. At least it gives me somewhere to start.

Last edited by oldkamikaze; 10-16-2015 at 02:24 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 10-16-2015, 04:17 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

As mentioned by other members.

It could be a number of different things causing this. Sounds like a misfire.
Could be a bad injector. Could be a timing issue. You will have to bring to
a reputable dealer/mechanic. Have you ever had the bike tuned up?

2008 ZX-10R (modified)
post #9 of 9 Old 04-17-2017, 01:12 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Did you ever find the problem? Mine is a 2010 14k miles backfired and blew valve cover gasket after it cooled down after a long ride and I started it it popped and started leaking oil out of the valve cover gasket blew the whole back end of the gasket out. Trying to find the problem before it happens again thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.