2Likes
  • 1 Post By LampPost
  • 1 Post By michael4012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old 08-18-2017, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Anyone running 2mm or 3mm pistons?

Tried to do some searching and couldn't find a whole lot of information on going to a 2mm or 3mm piston in my Gen 3. I'm in the process of doing a Carpenter head and cam package and since the engine is going to be out, I'm considering doing an overbore on the engine.

What can I expect? A friend just did a 2mm piston in his Gen 4 and is very happy with it. I have read some people say a 1078cc runs hot in the street because of the thin cylinder walls while others say it runs fine with no issues. The bike is mostly street ridden but will be seeing the track more once I get all my upgrades done.

I have no problem doing a little more maintanence on the engine do to a 1078cc motor but I don't want to have to deal with problems like the Headgasket not sealing or the engine overheating all the time.

Any input appreciated
badassjake likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-22-2017, 01:51 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Iv built a few of both in the gen3, i haven't found a heat issue with either, on street or track, but you need to be reserved with the head skim compression increases cylinder heat dramatically, if your using woosner pistons then a 0.45mm Cometic head gasket & 0.3mm head skim at most, if its JE pistons then 0.45mm Cometic head gasket with a maximum 0.4mm head skim. The fueling needs to be spot on so a good tuner is essential.
badassjake likes this.

192MPH stock engined 2008
post #3 of 3 Old 08-23-2017, 03:57 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
Iv built a few of both in the gen3, i haven't found a heat issue with either, on street or track, but you need to be reserved with the head skim compression increases cylinder heat dramatically, if your using woosner pistons then a 0.45mm Cometic head gasket & 0.3mm head skim at most, if its JE pistons then 0.45mm Cometic head gasket with a maximum 0.4mm head skim. The fueling needs to be spot on so a good tuner is essential.
Just wondering how much power you gained and what did you do? (2mm or 3mm, cams also etc)
Who did you use for the Nikasil replating?

I`m just in for the ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.