All Gens: So, your "FI" light is on..... - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 57 Old 04-07-2015, 09:26 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Minor correction to original post. Although the FI symbol is used for indicating faults, it doesn't actually stand for "Fault Indicator" but rather "Fuel Injection". I apologize for that. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 04-07-2015, 09:45 AM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdh View Post
Minor correction to original post. Although the FI symbol is used for indicating faults, it doesn't actually stand for "Fault Indicator" but rather "Fuel Injection". I apologize for that. :)
Where are you getting that info from? I think that was the origination in the older models as it was meant to indicate problems with that system specifically, but the system has become more robust than that and deals with errors associated with the TC system, ABS, ESD, etc, etc.

I'm cool if you wanna call it Fuel Injection, or Fault Indication, or Fucking Incorrect....just don't call it an F1 light.

dudewhrsmybike likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.

#WordCrimes

post #33 of 57 Old 04-07-2015, 09:57 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Where are you getting that info from? I think that was the origination in the older models as it was meant to indicate problems with that system specifically, but the system has become more robust than that and deals with errors associated with the TC system, ABS, ESD, etc, etc.

I'm cool if you wanna call it Fuel Injection, or Fault Indication, or Fucking Incorrect....just don't call it an F1 light.

From the owner's manual (page 56 on the GEN4). This has actually been a debate on other forums I frequent. :) You won't find it called Fault Indicator in the service manuals or in the Owners manuals for either the ZX10 or the ZX6. But to be honest, you'll be hard pressed finding it called a "Fuel Injection Warning Symbol", except for on a couple of pages in the Owners manual. But then, it's also not called a "Valve Cover" but instead a "Cylinder Head Cover". Details, details. :)
SkyDork likes this.

post #34 of 57 Old 04-07-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
From the owner's manual (page 56 on the GEN4). This has actually been a debate on other forums I frequent. :) You won't find it called Fault Indicator in the service manuals or in the Owners manuals for either the ZX10 or the ZX6. But to be honest, you'll be hard pressed finding it called a "Fuel Injection Warning Symbol", except for on a couple of pages in the Owners manual. But then, it's also not called a "Valve Cover" but instead a "Cylinder Head Cover". Details, details. :)
While you're right about the terminology in the manual, it's still more descriptive for most people to leave it like it is. I still think that's a legacy term from the older models without all the fancy whiz-bang electronics. The FI system has morphed into much more that these days and encompasses more than strictly the fuel injection system.

So, I'll have to give you one of these and one of these at the same time.

#WordCrimes

post #35 of 57 Old 04-07-2015, 10:15 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Actually DFI encompasses a lot and believe it is still accurate. I could be wrong but I don't believe it indicates a problem that isn't related to DFI. Traction control actually does relate to DFI. For example, from the Service Manual:

User Mode
The ECU notifies the rider of troubles in DFI system,
ignition system, S-KTRC system and immobilizer system
(equipped models) by lighting or blinking the warning
indicator light (LED) [A], FI warning symbol [B] and immo-
bilizer warning symbol [C] when DFI, ignition, S-KTRC and
immobilizer system parts are faulty, and initiates fail-safe
function. In case of serious troubles, ECU stops the injec-
tion and ignition operations.

Last edited by tdh; 04-07-2015 at 10:20 AM.
post #36 of 57 Old 04-07-2015, 10:21 AM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Actually DFI encompasses a lot and believe it is still accurate. I could be wrong but I don't believe it indicates a problem that isn't related to DFI. Traction control actually does relate to DFI.
Yes, but the ABS and ESD do not. A CANBus error between the ECU and the instrument cluster have nothing to do with the DFI, but still triggers an FI warning.

If you look at the Gen 3 manual, the errors were part of the DFI chapter. For the Gen 4, they broke them out into their own chapter. The DFI and Self Diagnosis are 2 separate things now. As the bikes become more sensor and software based, the warning system has to advance with it. To me anyway, the system has progressed.

#WordCrimes

post #37 of 57 Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I believe you are wrong about ESD. If there is a fault in the ESD the DFI will adjust power and indicate there is a problem that is causing a change by the DFI by flashing the FI warning symbol right? I would have to check on that, and probably will. :) I guess what I am saying is Kawasaki does include all of that stuff into DFI because DFI is used to control what the engine is doing based on feedback from those other components.

post #38 of 57 Old 04-07-2015, 10:30 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Dang, all I have is an electronic version for the 2011 service manual. No ESD in that. Anyone have an electronic copy of the Service manual for '13-'14?
EDIT: Disregard! Found it thanks to SkyDork! :) And yes, it appears the ESD and FI ECUs are tied together.

Last edited by tdh; 04-07-2015 at 10:50 AM.
post #39 of 57 Old 04-07-2015, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
I believe you are wrong about ESD.

There's a first time for everything.

#WordCrimes

post #40 of 57 Old 04-07-2015, 11:04 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
There's a first time for everything.
Sorry, don't mean anything personally. I really enjoy reading your posts and I like learning as much as I can about the machine I get on. :) Interested to know about your username. I assume some relation to aviation. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.