Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Aftermarket con-rods.

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Capncalyx 
#1 ·
Anybody tried these aftermarket Maxpeedingrods con-rods in their zx10r yet?

#4 ·
I should've just sent you or Spaz pm about this going fast shit:laugh2:, I keep forgetting that this forum is good for ecu flashes and power commander recommendations only :2bitchslap:

How do you like these? They're little heavier, but much stronger than stock so should be able to handle a lot more power that flashed ecu bikes will ever make.

#5 · (Edited)
Honestly, I'm a little skeptical. The weight isn't a huge deal... I know the Crowers I had in my hand were a good bit heavier than the Carrillos I have in the bike, but I feel the Crower was a better put together/stronger overall rod. But I feel the real proof is in the geometry of the things. How round are those bores? How close to advertised tolerance? How parallel are the bores? Symmetry? How about all those things with the bolts torqued to spec? If those are all on point, then I'd use them... I don't have much fear on the metallurgy being bad, just the machining. A good amount of people get lucky with off the shelf stuff, but the $$ are in the quality control.

If you have a good machine shop that can measure all that I'd give it a go... but for me I'd prefer a set of Crower's over that style for the extra extra bucks. But if someone handed me a set and all the numbers checked out perfect, I'd run them just to see what happens. :)

#6 ·
these rods found thier way into the hands of some of the best engine builders in the country, being wise and skeptical as spaz they inspected them. as purchased they found big end rod centers out of round common, up to .002 on some, bushed small end on some so tight wristpin would not install. downright sloppy clereances on such a critical part. also arp 2000 rod bolts are bottom line arp and have caused failures on lighter carillo rods on high hp builds. upgraded bolts now standard on carillo rods but not maxspeeding, upgrade bolts 50% stronger, over $250 more purchased seperatley. why stress any rod bolt with 20% more rod weight. rod weight negative stuff. beefier doesn't necessarilly mean stronger as connecting rods or bolts go, that's in alloys blended for strength, heat treating, magnafluxing, shot peening processes used. these clone rods visually may reseamble a carillo as that's thier cloned intention, but they are not by any standard. only fair to add some sets have checked out decent, but that only proves inconsistient machining/lack of final tolerence inspection. there are some sets running out there as purchased, bringing to assured higher standard with better rod bolts, big end measurement/resizing if necessary, honing of wrist pin small end, might as well buy the carillos-and add 60 grams to them. do'nt recommend rolling the dice on rod purchase.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.