Gen 3: 2008-2010 Afr - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 12-24-2017, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Afr

Hey guys. I have been riding for years but only recently have I started to tinker with things on my own. So I just spent the last weekend tearing into the bike. Pulled the header and knocked out the cat, new slip on, replaced spark plugs, changed the oil, changed the air filter and added a power commander V. I have a map that someone gave me that matches up pretty close to what I have. My question is know about making sure I have it dialed in as best I can without a dyno. I live in the boonies and don't have access or really the money to dyno tune at this time. What are some things that I should be listening for and feeling for as I am riding to tell me if I am lean or rich? Any help with this would be great. Or even some other maps if this one is too far off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-24-2017, 07:40 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
There is nothing we can tell you to accurately tune your bike unless you have access to the equipment to log your afr... you can sort of use a drag strip.. sort of after a million runs for wot only.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #3 of 15 Old 12-24-2017, 11:33 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Get a wideband 2 (or Autotune) and, if you budget stretches far enough, a pod 300.
Set your desired AFR. Ride around. Take some logs. Check and repeat.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-25-2017, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Great, thanks for the info guys. I will start pinching pennies then and just wing it until then.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-25-2017, 04:28 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Your motor will run very hot if it's too lean, but you could check your tail pipe for colour. Grey /white is too lean, sooty black is too rich.
Your gas consumption is an indicator as well

post #6 of 15 Old 12-25-2017, 09:33 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

If you don't have the equipment or the money or the knowledge, leave the bike alone, just ride it and enjoy it.
Victors likes this.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-26-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by renais View Post
Your motor will run very hot if it's too lean, but you could check your tail pipe for colour. Grey /white is too lean, sooty black is too rich.
Awesome! Thanks for the helpful reply.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-26-2017, 10:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by renais View Post
I set my cruise afr at 15.5, my engine runs the same temps as 14.7 afr, not even close to overheating.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-27-2017, 12:59 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbsky2 View Post

Nothing of what this guy said will help you fine tune your bike. Both ends of that spectrum are extremes and in no way will that really tell you much other than youre ridiculously lean or rich.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #10 of 15 Old 12-27-2017, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victors View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarbsky2 View Post

Nothing of what this guy said will help you fine tune your bike. Both ends of that spectrum are extremes and in no way will that really tell you much other than youre ridiculously lean or rich.
I realise that the only way to really fine tune the bike would be a dyno or autotune or weiband. I guess what I was hoping for were some recommendations on if there was anything else. I know the signs to look for to make sure I don't blow it up by running it too lean. I guess that I figured that people have been messing around with power commanders for long enough that there might be something I am missing. Seems like the consensus is a no on that front. Which is ok. I will roll with what I got until i can do more. Thanks for the help.
Victors likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.