Abrupt RPM post installing arrow mid pipe and mufler on zx10r 2016 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 02-02-2017, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Abrupt RPM post installing arrow mid pipe and mufler on zx10r 2016

Dear Friends,

I recently bought a zx10r 2016 latest model and got an arrow mid pipe and muffler installed. Everything else is stock on bike.

After i got it back from garage post installation bike is sounding amazing loud, back fires, spitting fire totally cool.

But when i start riding in low rpm like 1 to 2 rpm i feel fuel supply is not right and rhythm is not correct. RPM keep going to 2 and comes back to 1 constantly. This happens when on any gear and i apply the clutch completely. Even the sound goes high comes down, goes high comes down, keeps on doing this. This happens in neutral as well.

I have a feeling bike is not tuned for new exhaust and mid pipe. Since the new model is ride by wire i donno if it can be tuned directly or should i get a power commander.

Can some help me understand whats happening and what needs to be done.

Thanks
Sujay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes you need it to be properly tuned for no catalyst.. A pcV would work but I (we) prefer flashing so it takes care of the other bs like throttle restrictions and or etv restrictions if USA bike, and warning lights etc. Good luck.

More cowbell
post #3 of 16 Old 02-02-2017, 08:06 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Ftecu has software to flash your Ecu and sort these out. I had the same issue with my bike when I added the Graves pipe. After flashing the Graves map that FTECU provided it ran like a Swiss watch!😊

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

post #4 of 16 Old 02-02-2017, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsteinnewyork View Post
Ftecu has software to flash your Ecu and sort these out. I had the same issue with my bike when I added the Graves pipe. After flashing the Graves map that FTECU provided it ran like a Swiss watch!😊

Thanks for quick reply.

I have warranty on the bike till June 2017 i guess flashing ECU would void the warranty is there any other way to get the rpm corrected with ECU flashing or power commander option?

Cheers
Sujay
post #5 of 16 Old 02-02-2017, 09:18 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujay Mallesh View Post
Thanks for quick reply.

I have warranty on the bike till June 2017 i guess flashing ECU would void the warranty is there any other way to get the rpm corrected with ECU flashing or power commander option?

Cheers
Sujay
Well if the dealer wants, they could say that your exhaust voids your warranty so I am a bit lost. They have to be able to prove what modifications you did caused the premature failure of some part that is not a wear item. Most of the time they dont even bother with checking the ECU is flashed.

Last edited by Duhastme; 02-02-2017 at 09:21 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 02-02-2017, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I checked with the dealer before i got the mid pipe and mufler installed and they told it would not void the warranty.

Just my calculation help me here guys : After removing the cat and installing wider mouth mufler air outflow has incresed but intake is still the same. If i get a BMC race filter intake should increase as well which should balance out and solve the issue right?

Thanks
Sujay
post #7 of 16 Old 02-02-2017, 10:12 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sujay Mallesh View Post
I checked with the dealer before i got the mid pipe and muffler installed and they told it would not void the warranty.

Just my calculation help me here guys : After removing the cat and installing wider mouth muffler air outflow has increased but intake is still the same. If i get a BMC race filter intake should increase as well which should balance out and solve the issue right?

Thanks
Sujay
Well your dealer lied as for the about the removing the cat, it definitely voids warranty by Kawasaki's terms. Now dealers have some wiggle room to help certain customers but that is not here nor there. I BMC race filter will not fix the issue. The aforementioned suggestions are the only mod that I have read that helps with the surging idle.
post #8 of 16 Old 02-02-2017, 10:53 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yep you have 2 choices.

1, flash/tune

2, put cat back on.

(Warranties are overrated)
sdiver68, Duhastme and 2K16/10r like this.

More cowbell
post #9 of 16 Old 02-02-2017, 01:29 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

The dealer can't tell that your ECU was flashed. They don't have the hardware nor do they have the "brains" in the shops. To tell if the ECU has been altered, they're sending your ECU away.

The Woolich stuff works transparently with the KDS tools at the dealer. My 2011 has been flashed since god knows when and been through two recalls and I just recently re-extended the warranty last June. My 2016, has been flashed since the day I got it, almost a year ago to the day. It has been through one recall, still got my factory and extended warranty. You have zero worries about it. If you're freaking out about it and you have the proper software, you can reset your ECU to stock before bringing it in and then when done, reflash it to what you had on there before after you get the bike back home. Takes all of 2 minutes to do.

But your issue is most definitely tune related. If you have zero idea what you're doing, best to bring it to someone and have them tune it for you. Also, depending on your location, there may be things inside the ECU holding it back so you may want to look into flashing the ECU and if you find the right shop, they will have the hardware there to do it all in house without any extra added hardware on your bike.
mpp12, belkins and Sujay Mallesh like this.

ME Motorsports, Inc. Exclusive North American Distributor of Woolich Racing products. Official MotoGyro Vision , Zeitronix, Brock's Performance, Core Moto and MWR filtration products vendor.
For a special ZX-10R.net discount on Woolich Racing products, please private message me!

|| Facebook || Website || 701.212.1130 || NorthAmerica@WoolichRacing.com ||
post #10 of 16 Old 02-03-2017, 08:10 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

You would think that arrow could support your problem if they designed the mid pipe. Maybe you should try their technical support line.. let's us know how that works out

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
arrow, zx10r 2016 abrupt rpm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.