• 2 Post By Boxtradamus
  • 1 Post By gaz
  • 1 Post By michael4012

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 05-06-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

2010 ZX10R Cam journals

Hello fellow ZX people, I have an issue that I can't believe is an issue in the first place: I can not for the life of me fine new or used camshaft journals for my 2010 ZX. In every single OEM part schematic I can see the journals but they aren't labeled. For example https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp.../cylinder-head
I've tried every online store i can imagine and every google search remotely relevant and can't find anything. The closest I've came was on a complete journal set for an 07 ZX10 on ebay. I just need one because I had a valve cover bolt sheer off in it when the bike heated up, probably due to over torque. I tapped the old one and tried it but was still getting an oil leak from the spark plug well drain even after buying a new valve cover, gasket, and o-rings. If anyone has any information I would be so grateful! Thankyou!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-06-2018, 04:17 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxrider88 View Post
Hello fellow ZX people, I have an issue that I can't believe is an issue in the first place: I can not for the life of me fine new or used camshaft journals for my 2010 ZX. In every single OEM part schematic I can see the journals but they aren't labeled. For example https://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oemp.../cylinder-head
I've tried every online store i can imagine and every google search remotely relevant and can't find anything. The closest I've came was on a complete journal set for an 07 ZX10 on ebay. I just need one because I had a valve cover bolt sheer off in it when the bike heated up, probably due to over torque. I tapped the old one and tried it but was still getting an oil leak from the spark plug well drain even after buying a new valve cover, gasket, and o-rings. If anyone has any information I would be so grateful! Thankyou!
Unfortunately those parts are machined at the same time the cylinder head is cast and are specific to the head, thus you cant buy them. As they say in the move Con Air, you be f#cked.

I'm sure someone has used one from another head and made it work, but I have never done it and I have built 100's of Kawasaki engines the past 30 years or so. The politically correct way of fixing it is to buy a new cylinder head with all those parts that come with a new head.

Good luck on Ghetto repairing it, because that's what I would try lol.

At least I explained to you why the parts fiche shows no Part#s, so I was a little help maybe???

And their called camshaft caps, not journals. Good luck man!
badassjake and mxrider88 like this.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-06-2018, 07:23 PM
gaz
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

agree with boxtradamus, also agree on ghetto fix. over the years i've had to deal with bad or mismatched cam bearing caps many times, usually with head off which is little easier, but never had one i couldnt make work and last with no problems. they are very close and many times a mismatch as is will torque right down and allow the cam to rotate freely. if it binds the cam, a little 600 sandpaper on your finger dressing the bearing surface will generally get the bearing sized to the cam. may take several times just a few strokes each polishing the bearing rotation wise. head stripped of retainers, springs, valves pretty easy to get cam to spin freely on head. asembled on engine as u, gonna have to get a feel for how engine turns with current bearings-plugs out- and duplicate with new cap. one tight cam bearing can lock engine down or tighten it up turning with wrench. this works, done it several times, even had one ten head the guy lost all cam caps, had a set on a parts head, only had to lightley dress 2 caps and the cams spun freely by hand head stripped, street bike running 2 years now. gonna have to find cam cap though.
mxrider88 likes this.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-07-2018, 12:18 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You can get the caps matched at a good machine shop, anybody that's trashed a head will have spare caps for you. Caps 2004-10 all the same 2011-15 inlet caps different. 16-onwards i don't know.
mxrider88 likes this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]192MPH stock engined 2008

Last edited by michael4012; 05-07-2018 at 12:25 AM.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-07-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Very helpful and fast replies!

Thank all of y'all for really really useful information! That definitely explains why I ca't find any of those things anywhere lol. Well i think buying the 2007 journals will be my best bet and I'll try my "finger/sandpaper lathe" out. I'll let y'all know how it turns out if I can get those journals, thank you again to everybody!
post #6 of 7 Old 05-07-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thank you for all the pointers and also for the Con Air reference lol, I'll post results once I get parts and intall them!
post #7 of 7 Old 05-08-2018, 07:31 AM
gaz
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

google zx10 cam caps on ebay, set of 4 8-10 cam bearing caps on there for $13 including shipping. also rotate engine where the removed/replaced cam cap does not have the cam lobes compressing the springs at that cap, lets removal/replacement lift off/drop back on without spring pressure jacking the cam up. u can swap caps 1 and 2, 3 and 4, try them both and work with the best fitting.

Last edited by gaz; 05-08-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in