Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1078cc big bore kit install with goodies

18K views 38 replies 14 participants last post by  badassjake 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally got the last bits and pieces to start this build., which includes

Gen 1 cases
Lightened, balanced and polished crank
Gen 4 head and cams( decked and intake profiled)
JE pistons, +3mm
Gen 4 polished and balanced rods
ARP head bolts
Modded generator gear
Hayes clutch basket
NRC covers
Higher pressure oil relief valve

The bike already runs the gen 4 injector rack.

In the bike now is a Gen 1 stock motor with decked head Gen 4 pistons and cams. That combo produced great results for me at the 1/4 mile. Best ever passes for me.

So this new build will be a great comparison.

But there is always the supercharger kit to keep me busy too....

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The Gen4 head have you chopped the frame mount points of a earlier head and welded those on or have you fabricated something up from scratch on that. I rate the G4 rods they stretch a little less Iv gone .55mm on the squish with Gen4 rods & pistons in a Gen3 engine. No problem.

#4 ·
Ran out of finishing parts...odds and ends. Needs more big parts, clutch cover, oil pan, water pump. But this is the 3Rd motor so no real need if them, but nice to keep out debris and such.

I'll fab up a bracket for the right side and modify the left side brackets.

Noooooo turbos, lol

Attachments

#5 ·
Jake you always make the coolest stuff man. These builds are always crazy. Good luck man

#8 ·
not a clue as to how much they hacked off.........but it is a considerable amount.

Very disappointed in the casting quality and factory finish in the Gen 4 head........the Gen 1 head was far superior in finish quality.

Did a considerable amount of cleanup ,blending, and finish work to the Gen 4 head.

I was going to do a straight swap of heads to see if there was real world gains to be noticed from the Gen 1 to Gen 4 head with the same cams and degreeing, dyno numbers, blah blah blah.....but end of the day gains in 1/4 mile timing.

#10 ·
motor is going in the bike next spring.

Although, the gen 4 cams in the Gen 1 head yeilded great results and survived my season of racing.

I suspect the Gen 4 head and cams will be an equal to that combo with long life and durability packed in.

The head will also compliment the gen 4 pistons better and yield a better power production.

#13 ·
The advantages for a 4 head over a 1 are numerous, all titanium valves with longer & thicker stems, & larger inlet buckets means you can use the highest lift cams, the chamber is much superior meaning you can get better flow & compression the inlet tracks are superior. The difficulty is moving the coolant inlet & fabricating some frame mount points to make it fit the older Gen's.

#14 ·
I have the kit intake gen1 cam on my gen1 and was planning to put the stock gen4 exhaust cam and valve springs in combination with Carpenter retainers that I already have.
But I purchased a 2011 zx10r, tried it on the track and I did 9.32 @1/4 swb vs the 9.52 on my gen1.
So now I will sell my gen1 parts and tune my gen4.
Are the gen1 rods same as gen4 in dimensions?
I have a set of carrillo rods for my gen1 is it better to put them in my gen4 with 60-70 shot?

#27 ·
what gen 1 parts u gonna sell? pm me

#15 ·
The Gen1 & 4 rods are the same dimensions yes mate only difference is the Gen4 has a beefier build making them heavier but stronger at high revs = less stretch. Incidentally Carpenter sells those retainers too everyone is was only the Gen1 retainers that were weak the other gens are good.

#18 ·
i do a lot of nitrous builds, 60-70 shot too much to run safely and very hard to manage. smaller shot applied off the line usually produces best et/mph. just finished 05 gsxr1000 bone stock motor that was running 6teens@113 mph, added hd valve springs, hd clutch springs, cleaned/flowed all injectors, added walbro 255lph fuel pump, spray bar, nos mini nitrous controller, tuned on u4.4 with 32 shot measured on dyno . only a few passes made with best et 5.41/131 mph. bike makes 100 ft lbs torque. trick to going fast on nitrous is good consitient fueling, smooth power delivery.

#23 ·
Well, this motor is going into my 10 this spring..... Stupid Canadian winters.....my 10 is going back to street trim and I will enjoy the full potential of this build.
I bought my wife a 2008 zx10 to drag this summer, so she is getting the extended swing arm. I'm kinda excited for endless gas wheelies ?
The motor is setup for max compression so it's gonna be real torquey... Lol

#25 ·
So, for the motor to fit the 04/05 frame the right side mid motor mount needs to be removed..... That's a real commitment, lol
It can be done with some creative mounting brackets.....if I do this swap, it will be early summer after the first couple race weekends.... I have some cam timing to alter in the existing motor in the bike with the big 11cams.

#26 ·
The Gen 1 motor with Gen 4 cam works spectacular. This head is now for sale, comes with Gen 4 intake cam only, supply your own exhaust cam of choice.

The Gen 1 motor with the Gen 4 head is now installed in the bike. It was a little fabbing to get it to fit but not crazy.

One thing of note, is that the Gen 4 head has 4mm larger exhaust outlets, this is some extra modding needed to get full potential of the head flow.

First couple heat cycles complete and now the fun of setting the valves and setting the cams.

Attachments

#28 ·
so its a gen 1 head with gen 4 intake cam ur selling? how much pm me

#29 ·
Checked the valves and set the cam timing.

A few quick blasts up and down the road to check a few things over......man, it is some strong.

Billet basket without the back-torque limiter, totally forgot how active that system is. Took me off guard on the rear wheel chatter/lockup on the hard decel.

Going drag racing next weekend, get to see how the A/F changes are and get some passes in. Not expecting to destroy my own records, just hoping it stays together and is proven out.

#33 ·
Out of curiosity, what track are you going to? Any chance you're part of NHRA division6? I'll be in Boise this weekend for the division finals

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.