Standing Mile - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 06-22-2016, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Standing Mile

Have any of you guys done the standing mile before on your zx10s? Anybody ever broke 200mph on one?

I was thinking about trying to get out and do a standing mile race either this year but will probably next year just because of wanting to be prepared and what not.

I'd be racing my gen4 zx10. For useful mods it currently has:
  • Brock's Slip On
  • BMC Race Filter
  • Woolich
  • Quick Shifter
  • Opened up Ram Air Duct
  • Gold Heat Reflective Tape on the gas tank and airbox
  • Brocks Clutch Mod
  • Brocks heavy duty springs with 3 of the super heavy duty springs from Cycle Concepts
  • Cycle Concepts drag clutch
  • Ballistic lightweight battery
  • Penske drag shock
    Catalyst Carbon Fiber Drag Seat (helps sit lower so I would assume I would tuck better with this vs the stock one)
  • Aluminum sprocket nuts with aluminum sprocket up front and a 520 chain
  • Double Bubble windscreen
  • Yoshi mirror block offs
  • Front is lowered and rear is lowered

It currently has a stretch of about 11" on it but figure it would do better stock wheel base because it would't have to lug around as much chain. The swing arm is adjustable for as 8" over. Any thoughts on what would be the best setup to use?

Bike weighs in at 395 at the scales at Brainerd International Raceway, I would guess closer to 390 swb. I would be around 205 suited, maybe 195 if I really cut some weight.

Bike made 175.9 hp on 87 pump gas, 525 chain, 11" stretch. I would hope it would be low to mid 180s stock wheelbase on mr12.

Would that be good enough to hit that magically 200mph mark in the standing mile with the right gearing? Is there anything else I could try and do to guarantee that 200mph slip?

Thanks in advance for the replys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 06-22-2016, 11:07 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
I did the MileMarker1 event several years ago on a turbo ZX-14 pushing about 225hp (low boost). Managed to hit about 194mph on the GPS.

Considering the ZX-10 is only geared to hit about 190mph in theory, the fact that you're running a longer wheelbase with a longer chain that will rob the horsepower, I'm betting you'll be in the 180mph range at the gates. It takes A LOT more than just bolt-ons to hit 200mph, let alone in just a mile. The Aero is what kills it for most bikes and you need way more power to overcome the drag. So you have a nice goal, but the reality is you won't come close to the big 2-0-0 number.
SpazOnaZX likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #3 of 36 Old 06-22-2016, 11:10 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
It's still a hoot to get the bike down the strip like that and holding it wide open for so long!
Attached Images

SpazOnaZX and C3L1CA like this.

#WordCrimes

post #4 of 36 Old 06-22-2016, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I was most likely going to swap back to the stock swingarm to get away from the longer chain robbing hp/speed on the top end. I wasn't sure what would best so figured I would ask incase somebody with experience said the stretch might be the better option. I'd be willing to run whatever gearing needed to just crack that 200mph mark, haven't done a ton of research on what gearing would work, but Brock did post up what they used.

Looks like the Gadson's did with a basic bolt on gen 4:
Brocks Performance: Rickey and Richard Gadson Set Land Speed Records on 2011 ZX-10Rs

I know the Gadson's are pro riders but the one bike doesn't have any more mods than I do.

These guys hit the limiter at 186 with same basic bolt items but still feel like they had more left in it.
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R At The Mojave Mile | Flat Out | Super Streetbike
post #5 of 36 Old 06-22-2016, 11:21 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3L1CA View Post
I was most likely going to swap back to the stock swingarm to get away from the longer chain robbing hp/speed on the top end. I wasn't sure what would best so figured I would ask incase somebody with experience said the stretch might be the better option. I'd be willing to run whatever gearing needed to just crack that 200mph mark, haven't done a ton of research on what gearing would work, but Brock did post up what they used.

Looks like the Gadson's did with a basic bolt on gen 4:
Brocks Performance: Rickey and Richard Gadson Set Land Speed Records on 2011 ZX-10Rs

I know the Gadson's are pro riders but the one bike doesn't have any more mods than I do.

These guys hit the limiter at 186 with same basic bolt items but still feel like they had more left in it.
2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R At The Mojave Mile | Flat Out | Super Streetbike
Yes, but there's a difference. Those are Land Speed events. They can take however long they need to get up to speed. You're only going to have a mile to do it. And if you gear it taller to hit 200mph, then it will kill your acceleration. If you had 2 or 3 miles of time to get it up to 200mph, you can probably do it, but not in such a short distance.
SpazOnaZX likes this.

#WordCrimes

post #6 of 36 Old 06-22-2016, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Yes, but there's a difference. Those are Land Speed events. They can take however long they need to get up to speed. You're only going to have a mile to do it. And if you gear it taller to hit 200mph, then it will kill your acceleration. If you had 2 or 3 miles of time to get it up to 200mph, you can probably do it, but not in such a short distance.
Looking more into the Gadson's 200 mph runs were done in 1.5 miles instead of the 1 mile. I would think that extra .5 makes a world of difference and goes by quick. Might look into the 1.5 mile runs to try and give myself a better chance of crossing off that 200mph bucket list line.

Last edited by C3L1CA; 06-22-2016 at 11:30 AM.
post #7 of 36 Old 06-22-2016, 04:41 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

For what it's worth, I did a GPS verified 193mph with a flash, filter, slip on and +1 front sprocket. I don't know what distance but I know that with the +1 on the front it revved SLOW and took forever. I ran out of room but I believe the bike had more in it.

I would try to find a bigger stretch if you want to hit 200.
post #8 of 36 Old 09-14-2016, 04:03 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

C3L1CA

It can be done I set up a 2006 ZX10 our stage 1 Head Work, Real World Tune, aero package.

Ace Performance 2006 ZX10 went 197.7 and a 203.192 MPH on motor with pump gas at Maxton Mile in N.C. ECTA event
back in October 2006.

There are a few guys here doing 199 - 200 mph in 9/10ths of a mile but they are fly weights 130 - 135 lbs
SpazOnaZX likes this.

http://aceperformance.com/
41 Land Speed record's 650 750 1000 1350 1650 2000 3000 3001+cc classes 236.96 MPH
Winner & fastest N.A. bikes of Texas Mile shootout N.A. and Nitrous class with NO NOS on bike.
223.33 MPH all motor Busa.
203 + MPH 2016 ZX10R
post #9 of 36 Old 09-14-2016, 04:07 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
It's still a hoot to get the bike down the strip like that and holding it wide open for so long!
I was at the Miami Mile same weekend as you
I was racing our 2001 ZX12R going 211.2 MPH
Also runing a few other bikes
GSXRIntensity likes this.

41 Land Speed record's 650 750 1000 1350 1650 2000 3000 3001+cc classes 236.96 MPH
Winner & fastest N.A. bikes of Texas Mile shootout N.A. and Nitrous class with NO NOS on bike.
203 + MPH 2016 ZX10R
post #10 of 36 Old 09-14-2016, 04:11 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I am currently going over 200 + MPH in under 1 mile on my customers 2016 ZX10R
That I set up for him.
SpazOnaZX and GSXRIntensity like this.

203 + MPH 2016 ZX10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.