Perfect Enclosed Trailer for 2 Bikes?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 98 Old 09-17-2014, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Perfect Enclosed Trailer for 2 Bikes??

I'm in need of the right trailer for track day events, to haul 2 bikes side by side with Pit-Bull trailer restraints. No need for tie down hooks/anchor points, other than for gear.
Right now I have an open 7'x16' dual axle landscaping trailer, which have 2 reinforced Pit-Bull restraints, though it offers no protection from thieves if i need to stay overnight at a hotel near the track.
The idea is, I want the new trailer big enough to carry everything, but not so large that it costs me a ton of gas (or $ upfront), being that the closest tracks to me are a few hours in either direction.
So far what I'm thinking is,
10'x6'x6', V-nose, single 3,500 lb axle, preferably aluminum frame (for weight), front/side door entry, spring assisted gate with fold out, 3/4" plywood floor (which I will of course reinforce. I'm used to having 2"x6" flooring now).
Prices I've found for this are roughly in the $2,100-2,500 range, with the aluminum frames a little more rare.
Anyone have any advice on this?
Have I left anything out that's pretty much a necessity?
Suggestions on nice brands or good places to find them in the Orlando/Central Florida area?
Thanks

What is best in life?..
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 09-17-2014, 11:54 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

To help save on gas, you can consider a low hauler. I had mine cut down to 5'6" inside (so I could fit it through my garage door), but a side benefit is less drag.

I use a 6x12 V-Nose (tandem axles) to carry 2 bikes + gear, and I sleep in it at the track. I've been very happy with the size.

------------
WERA Expert #43
2012 WERA National Challenge Series Open Superstock Novice Champion
http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerpro...30532136163864

COMET RACING LEATHERS

2011 ZX-10R Race bike (Vortex, Silkolene, Leatt, Yoshimura, BRIDGESTONE)
2013 ZX-6R 636 Race bike
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
post #3 of 98 Old 09-17-2014, 11:57 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

2 horse trailer. you're welcome. they're cheap used, and offer massive amounts of storage, have proper suspension and wheels/tires, and you can walk around inside them.

post #4 of 98 Old 09-17-2014, 12:23 PM
Platinum Site Sponsor

Posting Frequency

This works pretty good.

Call MIKE at 866-931-6644 ext 804. Our business hours are Monday-Friday 9:30AM-6PM EST. Visit our website at Riders Discount.

Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube
post #5 of 98 Old 09-17-2014, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

^^^Yeah let me just sell my house real quick so I can make the down payment

What is best in life?..
TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, TO SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND TO HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF THEIR WOMEN.
post #6 of 98 Old 09-17-2014, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Perfect Enclosed Trailer for 2 Bikes??

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman0066 View Post
To help save on gas, you can consider a low hauler. I had mine cut down to 5'6" inside (so I could fit it through my garage door), but a side benefit is less drag.

I use a 6x12 V-Nose (tandem axles) to carry 2 bikes + gear, and I sleep in it at the track. I've been very happy with the size.
Being 6'2", I think I'd rather spend the extra gas to have the 6' ceiling.
Do you have a 3/4 or a 1/2 ton truck?
Right now, I'm thinking sticking with a single axle. I have a heavy half ton F150 (8200# GVWR, larger 10.25" rear end, 4:10 gears, HD shocks, HD trans, aux. cooler, etc.). It's kinda like having an F250 5.4 ltr. It's very capable of hauling heavy loads, but I just don't want to be pushing it harder than I need too for extended periods, and spending more on fuel too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
2 horse trailer. you're welcome. they're cheap used, and offer massive amounts of storage, have proper suspension and wheels/tires, and you can walk around inside them.
That's an interesting idea. Would be easy to find one, especially in Ocala. My parents live out there, have worked with quarter horses their whole lives too. Typically a horse trailer is a bit taller than I'd need though, but also tend to be rounded up front too, so I'm not sure if it'd cost the same or more in gas. Just trying to figure out the best solution for required capacity vs drag/weight.
Do you use one? How much does it weigh, and what kind of mileage do you get with it on vs no trailer?

What is best in life?..

Last edited by STEALTH-FIGHTER; 09-17-2014 at 12:57 PM.
post #7 of 98 Old 09-17-2014, 02:04 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
post #8 of 98 Old 09-17-2014, 02:14 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTH-FIGHTER View Post
Being 6'2", I think I'd rather spend the extra gas to have the 6' ceiling.
Do you have a 3/4 or a 1/2 ton truck?
Right now, I'm thinking sticking with a single axle. I have a heavy half ton F150 (8200# GVWR, larger 10.25" rear end, 4:10 gears, HD shocks, HD trans, aux. cooler, etc.). It's kinda like having an F250 5.4 ltr. It's very capable of hauling heavy loads, but I just don't want to be pushing it harder than I need too for extended periods, and spending more on fuel too.
I'm 6'4" and do ok with the lower height, but I understand. I first started towing it with my '04 NIssan Frontier V6, which did well except for the mountains where it would slow down to 45mph. I now tow with a '14 Silverado 1500 (5.3L) all stock, and it tows the 6 x 12 like it's not even there. I do have trailer brakes and would HIGHLY recommend them, even on the small trailer.

------------
WERA Expert #43
2012 WERA National Challenge Series Open Superstock Novice Champion
http://maps.wera.com/racers/racerpro...30532136163864

COMET RACING LEATHERS

2011 ZX-10R Race bike (Vortex, Silkolene, Leatt, Yoshimura, BRIDGESTONE)
2013 ZX-6R 636 Race bike
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s
post #9 of 98 Old 09-17-2014, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
no, not going crazy like that. It's pretty funny though cause I saw this ad a few weeks ago on there and was just drooling Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by kman0066 View Post
I'm 6'4" and do ok with the lower height, but I understand. I first started towing it with my '04 NIssan Frontier V6, which did well except for the mountains where it would slow down to 45mph. I now tow with a '14 Silverado 1500 (5.3L) all stock, and it tows the 6 x 12 like it's not even there. I do have trailer brakes and would HIGHLY recommend them, even on the small trailer.
Yeah, I could deal with it, though I'd rather not. Hell even with a 6' ceiling I'm gonna have my head cocked to the side a little Lol
I probably will get brakes on it, even though I don't think I'll really Need them. It's usually an add on with a single axle. Don't want to take any unnecessary risks though, especially since it will mostly be seeing highway miles.

What is best in life?..
post #10 of 98 Old 10-25-2014, 01:04 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

If you were in OKC, I'd help you out. My friend owns an RV Dealership, and the trailer dealership right next to it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.