How with drag racing - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 01-19-2018, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
How with drag racing

Gday team,

Need some advice on my 16 ZX10R, so I知 not super experienced but best time I have run is 10.3. Mods are Brooks slip on and cat removal pipe, block off plates and woolich logging system with a map off there share system loaded.

So main issue is lack off consistent times, seem to be slipping my hand on the clutch lever and then not getting perfect changes. I知 thinking more practice will improve, but what about gearing, 1/4 turn throttle kits etc.

She is still rego壇 but thinking about getting serious with race glass and lightening as well

What is everyone else running time wise? FYI I知 in Sydney and running on premium fuel.

Thanks legends

Hypa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DD74A180-72C3-48BD-A384-CF5C9607558F_1516353985231.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	410881  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-19-2018, 05:20 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
Gday team,

Need some advice on my 16 ZX10R, so I知 not super experienced but best time I have run is 10.3. Mods are Brooks slip on and cat removal pipe, block off plates and woolich logging system with a map off there share system loaded.

So main issue is lack off consistent times, seem to be slipping my hand on the clutch lever and then not getting perfect changes. I知 thinking more practice will improve, but what about gearing, 1/4 turn throttle kits etc.

She is still rego壇 but thinking about getting serious with race glass and lightening as well

What is everyone else running time wise? FYI I知 in Sydney and running on premium fuel.

Thanks legends

Hypa
Get your bike tuned in the conditions that you race, forget about share systems lol.
More aggressive gearing and lowered center mass of the bike will let you go quicker. And there is nothing out there that can make your clutch more consistent but seat time, seat time, seat time. I wouldn't worry about race fairings or anything else until you get good at racing, throwing money at the bike isn't going to make a good rider out of you.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-19-2018, 07:56 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Launching a stock wheel base bike with the kind of power a gen 5 has is no easy task.

More gearing will help you get out of hole faster in theory, but being swb the other issue is too much gearing and it'll make wheelies that much easier too. I wouldn't bother with light weight fairings until you had a lot more seat time and were consistent enough to actually notice if they helped. The quick throttles are nice to have for even just street riding so I'd definitley recommend that.

A front end strap kit would probably help you a lot with wheelies based on your picture.

MPS Lowering Products

There is all sorts of kits out there if you look around but those are some of the more popular ones. I just run a cheap Schnitz racing kid I've probably had since 2007 and had on a r6, r1 and now my zx10 lol.

Hopefully some other drag racers chime in that race swb chime in with what gearing works well for them. I know Tony Ferland ran -1/+1 on his swb gen 4 and ran some nasty times but he is a crazy good rider and bike was slammed.

I'd go watch some youtube videos of stock wheel base bikes and listen/watch what they do and then try different things next time you're at the track and see what works best for you. Sometimes I'll write on the back of the slip what I think I launched at, how I felt I slipped the clutch, did I seem to hesitate in a gear or hit the limiter. Then at the end of the day you can look at the slips and look at your notes and maybe see a trend at what works.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-19-2018, 09:03 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hmmm, the first advice I can give you is to ditch those bat-wing mirrors at the track.

Are you using the Launch Control? If not, getting familiar with that feature along with more seat and twist time is the first order of business.

Disclaimer: I'm not a drag racer

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #5 of 6 Old 01-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Why are you manually clutching gears ? You're not using the stock quick shifter ?

Crazy good time IMO, I went on the drag strip once and could only manage a 11.6... (although I'd be curious about what im I would be able to make now, 2 years later!)
post #6 of 6 Old 01-24-2018, 07:02 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Ive raced my gen1 for years swb best advice i can give you is lower the bike much as you can strap the front end down both will help a ton. I wouldnt worry about gearing change untill i got used to stock gearing gen5's are a handfull stock. Also try sliping the clutch while keeping throttle lock thats key going fast swb make notes after each run all this helped me go faster.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

05 ZX-10R SWB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.