How bad are bluing tyres? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-30-2017, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Question How bad are bluing tyres?

Have an old set of Bridgestone R10s and a new set.

Was going to use the old set to set up my 2011 ZX10R at the track and then use the new set after, but the old set are going blue.

They are at least 5 years old, but they've always been kept in a cool dark environment (garage) when not on the track, and have been used with warmers.

Should I bin them and just use the new set?

PS. I'm not that fast

Last edited by 10Arghh; 03-30-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-30-2017, 11:08 AM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I would not use brand new 5 year old tires on the track let alone blue ones... A $300 set of tires is cheap insurance when it comes to keeping your bike shiny as it will cost you a lot more than a new set of tires if you wad it up.
banzai, SkyDork, mr_honez and 2 others like this.
post #3 of 16 Old 03-30-2017, 04:39 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I would not use brand new 5 year old tires on the track let alone blue ones... A $300 set of tires is cheap insurance when it comes to keeping your bike shiny as it will cost you a lot more than a new set of tires if you wad it up.
This. ^^
evilaugust likes this.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.

post #4 of 16 Old 03-31-2017, 11:05 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Im not a track guy...

YET!

But, isnt the blueing a sign of massive heat cycles? I mean, i just dont think i could bring that on by riding on the street but i guess its possible.
Dare i say tires could be one of the most important things on a bike, its your only tiny contact patch and connection to the earth.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter
post #5 of 16 Old 03-31-2017, 11:16 AM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
But, isnt the blueing a sign of massive heat cycles?
Not really.... that is the oils and catalysts in the tire coming to the surface and it can happen on basically new tires if left long enough. The bluing can certainly be exacerbated by heat cycles and some brands or models of tires are way more susceptible to the discoloration than others, but it is part of the normal process of the tire. It's not even necessarily a bad thing, but there is a certain stigma associated with the blue color as it generally happens worse to shagged race tires.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-31-2017, 11:31 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I learn'ded !

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter
post #7 of 16 Old 03-31-2017, 11:39 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

While I completely agree with LDH and don't use the old tires, there are a couple things you can check. First look on the side of the tire and see what the tire date is. This will tell you EXACTLY how old they are. You may have owned them for 5 years, but they could also have sat on the shelf in the store for another year. So check the manufacture date.

Also like LDH mentioned, bluing is generally from normal head cycles and the releasing of the oils from the rubber. One thing to compare is put your thumb nail into the blued part and compare it to the same section of the new tire. More than likely the blued section will be much harder and less pliable than the new tire.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #8 of 16 Old 03-31-2017, 12:32 PM
.net Most Followed Member

Posting Frequency

Garage
I wouldnt ride 5 year old tires on a normal ride to work, and of course never on a track day. Can be gotten real good deals these days on new tires, so id yes get rid of them. By the way im a Michelin fan ;) super sticky stuff.

post #9 of 16 Old 03-31-2017, 02:00 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Your old set of tires sounds like a great excuse for a nice long road trip on interstate highways. Maybe visit us up here in Canada! After exchange, your US$ dollar goes quite far here.

EDIT: shoot, I see that you're in the U.K. There goes my idea. I assumed that you were American.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #10 of 16 Old 03-31-2017, 03:55 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
When I drop $150 for a track day I want my bike to have fresh new tires. There is a DOT 4 digit oval stamp on the sidewall that tells you the week (first two digits) and the year (last two digits) the tires were manufactured. For instance 4512 would means the 45 week of 2012 (see picture). Because of the supply chain and transit times most tires at best will be 9-10 months old when you buy them. On the track you presumably will be pushing the bike and your skills to the limit. Why handicap yourself or set yourself up for an accident by using old hard rubber at the track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3235.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	399.8 KB
ID:	395834  

'04 Blue ZX-10R, FORKS: Race Tech Gold Valves, .85 KG/mm springs, US1 suspension fluid, Shock: Penske 8900 shock w/8760 compression adjuster, Gilles rear sets and levers, Scotts steering damper, Racefit Mega slip on, Zero Gravity screen, ZX636 Master Cylinder, Galfer Superbike braided brake lines, Vesrah SRJL17 pads, Kawasaki seat cowl, undertail kit, Oury Grips, Valentine One radar detector with Legal Speeding heads-up helmet LED.

Last edited by banzai; 03-31-2017 at 05:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.