8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 Old 03-31-2017, 02:59 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by banzai View Post
When I drop $150 for a track day I want my bike to have fresh new tires. There is a DOT 4 digit oval stamp on the sidewall that tells you the week (first two digits) and the year (last two digits) the tires were manufactured. For instance 4512 would mean the 45 week of 2012 (see picture). Because of the supply chain and transit times most tires at best will be 9-10 months old when you buy them. On the track you presumably will be pushing the bike and your skills to the limit. Why handicap yourself or set yourself up for an accident by using old hard rubber at the track.

Same goes for Condoms!
mpp12 and Duhastme like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 Old 03-31-2017, 03:36 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
Same goes for Condoms!
I don't need those.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #13 of 16 Old 04-01-2017, 07:51 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

post #14 of 16 Old 04-03-2017, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
I won a race on a 5 year old tire.
Thank you

I think the responses are a bit OTT, but I did ask for your opinions so thanks anyway...I must admit I actually have first hand experience of using old tyres (blue or otherwise), and have never had a problem, but I wanted to see the level of responses and you guys didn't disappoint

Obviously, you would not be trying to push for a lap time, unless you were experienced to understand the feedback of a worn tyre like say dricked, but neither would it be as bad as sticking your dick in a blender (unless you like that kind of thing).

Anyway...I take onboard what you lot are saying but I may just go new front...Old rear.

Like I said, just setting the bike up (geometry), so will be going around, not trying to blaze a trail.

evallarta thanks for the advice about the compliancy of the rubber, I can use that.

Thanks anyway guys
post #15 of 16 Old 04-03-2017, 07:46 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I've used blue tires many times. They are nowhere near as good as fresh new rubber but at the time I couldn't really tell the difference and if your "not that fast" you probably won't either. I noticed there was less edge grip with that 5 year old tire but really it wasn't terrible. That tire sat mounted in my unheated garage that whole time too :)
post #16 of 16 Old 04-03-2017, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by dricked View Post
I've used blue tires many times. They are nowhere near as good as fresh new rubber but at the time I couldn't really tell the difference and if your "not that fast" you probably won't either. I noticed there was less edge grip with that 5 year old tire but really it wasn't terrible. That tire sat mounted in my unheated garage that whole time too :)
Well at least mine aren't mounted so hopefully profile hasn't been affected by bike standing and causing a flat spot.

Be good to see how well the TC works on the bike with the used rear...If it activates at all...I want to try to activate it at some point....Have done so from a hard standing start, but would like to see how it stacks up coming out of a corner.

Anyway, like I said I am going to mount the new front and then get a few laps in then mount the new rear probably on another occasion when I'm more confident with the set up.

Thanks for the insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.