Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

GP at Indy and Laguna? Hope so!

1K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  colinmitchell111 
#1 ·
Indianapolis Motor Speedway will likely host a round of the MotoGP World Championship in 2008, according to a number of sources, but it won’t replace the Red Bull U.S. Grand Prix at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca. Instead, for the first time ever, the U.S. will host two rounds of the championship.

The news was first reported by Motor Sport Aktuell, an authoritative Swiss weekly. MSA said that the race would replace the Chinese GP at Shanghai, an event that hasn’t had the success that Dorna had hoped for in the world’s most populous nation.

Though nothing has been signed, all indications are that an event at Indianapolis is moving forward. Ron Green, a spokesman for Indianapolis Motor Speedway, said that “There is no agreement in place,” but, he added, “The Speedway is still active in its dialogue with several motorcycle racing sanctioning bodies. It is clear that the Speedway wants an event. And it’s something that we’ve been exploring for quite some time.”

#9 ·
Another GP round would be sweet, but please not at Indy. The infield course was put there when F1 started coming there a few years ago. IMO, the track is very boring and like I've said before, any course that uses part of a crapcar oval isn't a real roadrace track anyway.

And unless they've had a change of heart since a GP race would be a bigger draw and more money for them I don't see it happening anyway. They let some AMA guys ride the course a couple years ago but nothing came of it. Mostly because the owner didn't think AMA races would bring in much money.

#10 ·
I dont like that it has 3 turns that are part of the oval fs'ho thats lame...

#11 · (Edited)
hillcountry10r said:
I dont like that it has 3 turns that are part of the oval fs'ho thats lame...
:+1: They have the Indy name though.

Barber or Road Atlanta seem more worthy track wise.

Indy looks worse than Homestead, except maybe for the proximity of some walls.

#13 ·
the infield course follows all FIA safety sanctions, MotoGP follows the same safety guidelines as Formula 1. only slight modifications have to be made to the track to follow a couple motorcycle specific regs. a redesign nor anything major, would have to be done.

Barber and Road Atlanta barely adhere to AMA sanctioning, to get an FIA event there they'd literally have to start from scratch.

As for the oval...no one complains about it at Daytona, I don't see why Indy would be any different.

#15 ·
ZX10Miami said:
:+1: They have the Indy name though.

Barber or Road Atlanta seem more worthy track wise.

Indy looks worse than Homestead, except maybe for the proximity of some walls.
Originally Barbers was going to get Moto GP but the city of Birmingham shot it down I can only hope that one day they will reconsider that dumbass move.

#19 ·
BARBER??????????

Ama superbikes touch 5th gear once a lap.

Motogp would be a DISATSER at Barber. Itd be like a freakin go kart track for them.

Indy will aslo be another us cluster f@#$ like laguna. A track where a motogp bike can stretch its legs is a better idea.

Miller would be the best choice...

#20 ·
Ive been hearing bout this for a while now...and Having been to the F-1 races at Indy (that uses essentially the same infield) From a spectator stand point (and amuture photographer) I couldnt think of a worse place to hold a Bike race. There are plenty of other tracks (purpose built race tracks) that would be a much better choice than Indy. However having said that. Indy is only 85 mile drive from my door. So I'd have to say...I'd be there...LOL

#23 ·
You haters are all smoking crack. Do you know what this would do to the sport in America? It bet it would triple the U.S. fan base just because of the Indy name. Having attended every U.S. F1 event since 1999 I can remember hundreds of people I have talked to that had no clue about F1. They were just there because it was at Indianapolis. As far as saftey is concerned, the only thing they will have to do is put tires or something soft against the walls in turn 1 of the oval. If they low-side there they would slide up into it. Other than that its just like anyother European FIA track. I never had a problem with missing any action there. Its just like every other track I have been too. And they also have like 100ft screens everywhere!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.