2005 zx10r how to wheelie - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 10-04-2017, 10:54 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
tips on wheelies - BARF - Bay Area Riders Forum

Personally, i got most comfortable with wheelies at the race track where they would happen from time to time on certain sections of certain tracks, until i was just banging them out at will on the street.

I can wheelie 1st or 2nd but just pinning WOT on my Gen1 from 5-9000rpm. No bouncing, or chopping required, of course if i give it a good hard wack to WOT, she comes up a lot higher and faster... which is pretty fun when i'm coming out of a twistie. Impresses the shit out of the street kids when you wheelie exiting a curve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 10-04-2017, 11:03 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Also make sure you're actually going WOT, i know i used to slow my throttle open because my sphincter would tighten a lot under acceleration leading to temporary inhibition of manliness in an attempt to keep the wheel down.
Capncalyx likes this.
post #13 of 18 Old 10-05-2017, 09:55 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah them widowmakers are tough to wheelie Id be careful....

More cowbell

post #14 of 18 Old 10-05-2017, 10:39 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I could bring it up in 1, 2 and 3 easily on my '14 with just a little slip of the clutch. On the '16 I can even get it up on the back wheel in 4th. The '14 was much easier to keep it up on the back wheel than the '16. The throttle on my '16 is just too twitchy for some reason. Tried and tried to get it tuned as smoothly as my '14 with no success. I think it's just something to do with the electronic throttle bodies. I also find it easier to shift through the gears while on the rear wheel on the '14 for some reason. I've never ridden an older model but would guess they would be similar. Just take it a little at a time would be my only suggestion. Oh, and make sure your medical insurance is up to date. :)

Last edited by tdh; 10-05-2017 at 10:43 AM.
post #15 of 18 Old 10-05-2017, 01:28 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't see how in the heck yall are able to get yours up in 2nd and 3rd gear with power wheelies. 1st gear is no problem at all. Only way I can lift the front in 2nd gear is if I'm cresting a hill and wack open the throttle at the perfect time.

I'm scared to clutch it up lol so I just power wheelie for a few feet in 1st then set it down.
post #16 of 18 Old 10-05-2017, 01:55 PM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah, clutching up is the easiest way to get it up. All you do is give it some gas to get the bike accelerating immediately followed by a quick slip of the clutch. Basically just pull it in just enough to let the RPM climb a bit and let it right back out which will bring the front up and from there it's just throttle control. Once you get used to doing that you can do it pretty much at will easily in 2nd and 3rd. Like I said take it in baby steps. The more you do it the more comfortable you get with just how much throttle to give it, and just how much slip of the clutch to give it in each gear. It's good to cover the rear brake, at least when you're learning. Before getting it all the way up practice giving it a little rear brake so you are comfortable doing it if you did happen to go too far. I also like doing it at the crest of every hill. It's hard for me NOT to do it anymore. :)
SkyDork and Capncalyx like this.

Last edited by tdh; 10-05-2017 at 02:10 PM.
post #17 of 18 Old 10-05-2017, 03:39 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
I don't see how in the heck yall are able to get yours up in 2nd and 3rd gear with power wheelies. 1st gear is no problem at all. Only way I can lift the front in 2nd gear is if I'm cresting a hill and wack open the throttle at the perfect time.

I'm scared to clutch it up lol so I just power wheelie for a few feet in 1st then set it down.
Nah, your technique isn't right. Second gear power wheelies are cake. Third gear is tougher, but not impossible.

In 2nd gear get the RPMs to about 8k and in one quick smooth motion, close the throttle all the way and then whack it open. Front should come right up! You can't just open it, you have to close it quick before rolling it back open. It's easier though if you're sitting on the back part of the seat or standing up. Standing up for me was the only way in 3rd without the clutch. But I'm more consistent and prefer powering them up than using the clutch. That's just me.
NinjaLife likes this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #18 of 18 Old 10-11-2017, 05:05 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

https://youtu.be/zVrTEvwjdDY

Turn on motorcycle, drive down vacant road, and match throttle to his voice in this vid, release clutch. Perfect wheelie Everytime.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.