ZX10's hp #'s - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 01-14-2004, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

ZX10's hp #'s

I know its still early but I lifted this from the gixer forum from a very respected guy. The hp #'s are in "ps" but the dyno grapgh says it all. Can anyone translate? Below is post from gixer forum along with site....I dont want to start any bashing, just giving up some info- I'm torn between the R1 and ZX10R!!!

Found this on the LKM website. LKM has managed to get a US pre-production ZX-10 and R1. LKM the THE tuning house in Germany and their claim to fame is modded engines fantastically powerful almost exclusively using stock parts. They balance, blueprint, port, polish crank cases, polish cranks etc. using modern technology and seldomly use hot cams (except for their Gix).

They have got their hands on a prototype R1 and ZX and modded them. The sotck ZX10 made 153 ps and the R1 155 ps at the wheel whilst their 03 1k made 148. After mods their Gix made 174 (with pipe and cams - this is down on my own bike) but the R1 made 173 without cams and also without pipe, whilst the ZX made 168 without cams and pipe and a whopping 180 with pipe (no cams). My guess is that the R1 would make 180 too with a pipe. So it appears as if the ZX and R1 are stronger stock but still easy to mod. I am just a little dissapointed that LKM's Gix does not make 180. Their are quite a few around that do!!

Here are some links to the info.

http://www.lkmpower.de/tuning%20kits/zx10r_neu.htm

http://www.lkmpower.de/tuning%20kits/r1_04.htm

http://www.lkmpower.de/tuning%20kits/gsxr1000_3neu.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-14-2004, 02:25 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

To rambor 1 I saw these figures you are talking about. I have said it already that yamaha and kawasaki are restricting their bikes from the factory to meet emissions. their is an easy 10-15 horsepower just waiting to be realeased with the addition of a full exhaust system freeer flowing airfilter and a powercommander to richen the mixture. with just a little bit of engine work and a full system fantastic. I like the fact that they reley on stock parts that are just finely honed to prove that the bike are very well built from the factory. I like that they got an extra 15 hp with just fine tuning the internals of the engine on both bikes, and got 180 with the full exhaust system on the ZX-10 :D :D :D . lastly let the bikes get the proper break in and you will find another 3-5 free horsepower :D . by the way where in germany is LKM located. very interested in their work for the future as I will be buying a new ZX-10 within a years time. thats all for now.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

went to their site and see they are in bonn germany. :)

post #4 of 14 Old 01-14-2004, 03:59 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Re: ZX10's hp #'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambor1
I know its still early but I lifted this from the gixer forum from a very respected guy. The hp #'s are in "ps" but the dyno grapgh says it all. Can anyone translate? Below is post from gixer forum along with site....I dont want to start any bashing, just giving up some info- I'm torn between the R1 and ZX10R!!!

Found this on the LKM website. LKM has managed to get a US pre-production ZX-10 and R1. LKM the THE tuning house in Germany and their claim to fame is modded engines fantastically powerful almost exclusively using stock parts. They balance, blueprint, port, polish crank cases, polish cranks etc. using modern technology and seldomly use hot cams (except for their Gix).

They have got their hands on a prototype R1 and ZX and modded them. The sotck ZX10 made 153 ps and the R1 155 ps at the wheel whilst their 03 1k made 148. After mods their Gix made 174 (with pipe and cams - this is down on my own bike) but the R1 made 173 without cams and also without pipe, whilst the ZX made 168 without cams and pipe and a whopping 180 with pipe (no cams). My guess is that the R1 would make 180 too with a pipe. So it appears as if the ZX and R1 are stronger stock but still easy to mod. I am just a little dissapointed that LKM's Gix does not make 180. Their are quite a few around that do!!

Here are some links to the info.

http://www.lkmpower.de/tuning%20kits/zx10r_neu.htm

http://www.lkmpower.de/tuning%20kits/r1_04.htm

http://www.lkmpower.de/tuning%20kits/gsxr1000_3neu.htm
Well by this dyno the R1 is pushing about 1.8 horses more than the zx10R assuming its with the perferct atmopsheric conditions.

In decision making tense, if your picking a bike based on hp the 1.8 is worthless to you. What you should be more concerned with is how smooth the powerband is. Notice how the zx10R only climbs, but has no dips? And the R1 has a few spots where it dips under the power curve slightly then returns? Of course the GSXR1000 an older bike has a bit more dip to it's powerband, but all of them are good. But the 10R has the smoothest power band, which means the horsepower is more effective on it. How much more? Unless your racing it you'd probably never notice it at all.

As for restirictions thats true. Kawasaki might have even went as far as put the kleen air system on this particular bike. If so you will see a world of difference in this dyno chart if it was without one. I have no way of knowing for sure, but it really doesnt matter. 1.8 hp isn't a real difference between the two. The power curve speaks for itself. No flat spots sits better with me than 1.8 hp more.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by big b
To rambor 1 I saw these figures you are talking about. I have said it already that yamaha and kawasaki are restricting their bikes from the factory to meet emissions. their is an easy 10-15 horsepower just waiting to be realeased with the addition of a full exhaust system freeer flowing airfilter and a powercommander to richen the mixture. with just a little bit of engine work and a full system fantastic. I like the fact that they reley on stock parts that are just finely honed to prove that the bike are very well built from the factory. I like that they got an extra 15 hp with just fine tuning the internals of the engine on both bikes, and got 180 with the full exhaust system on the ZX-10 :D :D :D . lastly let the bikes get the proper break in and you will find another 3-5 free horsepower :D . by the way where in germany is LKM located. very interested in their work for the future as I will be buying a new ZX-10 within a years time. thats all for now.
Should also mention that this test was ran on a demo bike. Demo bikes should really never be considered the finished product, normally speaking kawasaki is known for making improvements on there demos based on tester feedback.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Wheew, all these numbers with 150+ HP is scary... gonna be a lot of wrecked open classes after the summer is over.... becareful out there peps.

"Extreme...Life's too short not to be"

post #7 of 14 Old 01-14-2004, 05:05 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

It certainly seems as though the bikes are restricted more every year, but that gives us hooligans the opportunity to 'set them free' for all their worth.

Once all the rags test the 04 bikes and we get a feel for the variance between them i'll be surprised if its 2-3%, which ain't squat. 8)

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

At the risk of sounding uninformed, is the German "PS" exactly the same as "HP"? I believe that back in my youith, I read that the two were not precise equivalents.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-15-2004, 11:16 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco383
At the risk of sounding uninformed, is the German "PS" exactly the same as "HP"? I believe that back in my youith, I read that the two were not precise equivalents.
I believe PS is rated a bit higher than HP, but not much... I think we talking few digits like 1-3.

"Extreme...Life's too short not to be"

post #10 of 14 Old 01-15-2004, 12:54 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to mustmoto
Metric Hosrepower (ps) X 0.9863 = Brake Horsepower (bhp)

make me bleed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.