Tire re-test this weekend. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 01-23-2004, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Tire re-test this weekend.

Looks like there is going to be a second tire test at daytona this weekend, so far only 12 riders have been confirmed to go. Sounds cool. I just hope that team green preforms a little better this time around. We will see.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1/22/2004
Updated Post: 12 Riders Confirmed For AMA Re-test At Daytona

Copyright 2004, Roadracing World Publishing, Inc.

Twelve riders representing three tire manufacturers will attend a special test session at Daytona International Speedway (DIS) January 25-26.

Representing Dunlop will be American Hondaís Ben Bostrom and Miguel Duhamel, Erion Hondaís Jake Zemke, Kawasakiís Tommy Hayden and Roger Lee Hayden, and Yamaha's Jason DiSalvo.

Ducati Austinís Eric Bostrom and Team Valvoline EMGO Suzukiís Steve Rapp and Vincent Haskovec will ride for Michelin.

Lee Acree, Michael Barnes and Geoff May will test for Pirelli at Daytona.

Ben Bostrom, Duhamel and Zemke will only ride their CBR1000RR Superbikes. The Hayden brothers will only ride ZX-10R Superstock machines. DiSalvo will ride his Superstock YZF-R1. Eric Bostrom only races a 999 Ducati Superbike. Rapp, Haskovec, Acree, Barnes and May will ride Suzuki GSX-R1000 Superstock racebikes.

The additional test was scheduled by AMA Pro Racing and DIS following catastrophic rear Dunlop tire failures at high speed during two recent test sessions at Daytona. The exact goal of the test has not been stated by officials from AMA Pro Racing or DIS, but insiders believe it is meant to determine if the recent tire failures are a Dunlop-specific problem or a problem related to the weight and speed of the current crop of 1000cc Superbike and Superstock racebikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-23-2004, 08:13 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Looks to be 34 degrees down there tonight (Friday) and a high of 67 tomorrow. That's some chilly test weather. I hate pulling on cold leathers, but then, I'm not getting paid for it.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-23-2004, 11:09 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

thanks for the info. should be interesting.

post #4 of 10 Old 01-23-2004, 11:44 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

tire test

Let me see.... There are a couple of tire failures during the AMA season last year. Then, Ben Spies has a tire failure @ 186 mph on his Gixxer 1K after the season is over while testing @ Daytona. The Dunlop teams show up for their annual tire test. Dunlop assures them that they have found the problem and there will be no other problems. But that turns out not to be true. And Jason DeSalvo (?) looses a tire on a R1 @ 180 mph.

So now it is time for another test. What is Dunlop going to say? "We found the problem. You riders can feel confident to go jump on them high powered 1000's and flog the crap out of them. We don't think there will be any more problems." Hmmmm Right... Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming Dunlop, necessarily. If 99% of the field were on Michelin tires, they might be having similar problems. We don't know. But, if you were a factory rider, on any brand tire, how hard would you be hammering it on the banking????

Don't confuse me with facts, my mind is already made up.
post #5 of 10 Old 01-24-2004, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Re: tire test

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta xray
Let me see.... There are a couple of tire failures during the AMA season last year. Then, Ben Spies has a tire failure @ 186 mph on his Gixxer 1K after the season is over while testing @ Daytona. The Dunlop teams show up for their annual tire test. Dunlop assures them that they have found the problem and there will be no other problems. But that turns out not to be true. And Jason DeSalvo (?) looses a tire on a R1 @ 180 mph.

So now it is time for another test. What is Dunlop going to say? "We found the problem. You riders can feel confident to go jump on them high powered 1000's and flog the crap out of them. We don't think there will be any more problems." Hmmmm Right... Don't get me wrong, I am not blaming Dunlop, necessarily. If 99% of the field were on Michelin tires, they might be having similar problems. We don't know. But, if you were a factory rider, on any brand tire, how hard would you be hammering it on the banking????
I'm not really sure that dunlop should take as much heat has the have been. I mean afterall this years tire failure was at a tire test. But it is a little scary when you have like 4 failures in a two year peroid. Lucky for all those involved it failed in the right spot for them. I can't imagine how bad it would be to have slid into a wall at 172 mph.

A lot of the tire problems are because of the track itself. As fun as it is for us as fans to watch them run at Daytona, maybe of the riders themselves have commented on it being to dangerous for motorcycle racing. There aren't that many tracks out there where you can actually do a 170 plus mphs while banking at the same time. Like a spokes person for dunlop said, if you can build a tire that can withstand Daytona, your tire can withstand anything. I think thats true for the most part.

The reality of all this is these new bikes have out grown there old tires. If you would have said two years ago that bikes for sale at a dealership would be putting out 180 horsepower at the crank, without aftermarket parts, people would have laughed in your face. Now that seems to be the minimum standard, and some places like LKM are saying with an aftermarket system the 10R will put down 190 at the crank, 168 at the rear wheel. That is not only insanely fast, but completely unheard of. Dunlop isn't the only tire behind on this one.

A few of the other tire manufactures will be testing there tires there as well. They are saying the day with Dunlop. Will be interesting to see how they fair agisnt the same types of highspeed turns, and banks. Can't wait, hopefully R1fast will be there taking some pictures again.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-24-2004, 04:52 AM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

The SBK's have out grown DIS plain & simple. The track surface itself SUCKS bigtime as does the venue itself as this is the only track like it on the entire schedule, therefore special one-off tires are produced just for it...BS get the phuck away from DIS before someone gets killed and the AMA is sending out condolence cards to family & loved ones because they couldn't make a sensible decision to bag it..

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #7 of 10 Old 01-24-2004, 07:42 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I have not run Dunlops on my bike or jeep in a few years after having tons of problems with my Jeep tires, and not impressed with the 207's on my bike, So I am a michelin man now.

Quote:
Dunlop Buys Up AMA Team Test Dates, Excludes Non-Dunlop Teams

Dunlop Tire Company has bought up existing test dates scheduled by factory AMA teams fielded by Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha, to limit testing by AMA teams and riders that do not use Dunlop tires.

Up until this point, AMA teams have frequently tested together and shared costs associated with testing, including track rental, ambulance, insurance, cornerworkers and haybales, with no regard to the brand of motorcycle or tire used by participating teams. The typical direct cost for a participating team can run between $1500 and $15,000 per co-op test, depending upon the individual racetrack and the number of teams participating in a given test. Travel expenses, air freight for special parts, hotel costs and fees paid to contracted mechanics are additional expenses.

Sources at several of the involved Dunlop-sponsored teams confirmed the deal to roadracingworld.com, as did a ranking executive at one of the OEMs; none were willing to be quoted or identified by name for fear of retribution by Dunlop--in the form of their team being supplied less-competitive tires. "Yeah, they called up and said they wanted to buy all our test dates," said a member of a Superbike team that frequently is the lead renter for co-op test dates, and who asked not to be identified. "They said they wanted to be able to keep non-Dunlop teams out of the tests."

Dunlop is estimated to have spent between $300,000 and $600,000 buying up all the test dates, based on the amount of testing Dunlop-sponsored teams do in a typical calendar year and the cost of renting tracks and paying for ambulance crews, insurance, cornerworkers and haybales.

Available test dates that fit around the AMA schedule are a hot commodity, in limited supply. With Yoshimura Suzuki, for example, testing for 22 days at stand-alone test sessions in 2003, this move by Dunlop will severely limit testing opportunities by non-Dunlop teams and thus inhibit competition in AMA Pro Racing.

Although the IRL car racing series recently outlawed independent (or private) testing in favor of IRL-sanctioned and controlled test dates open to all competitors, observers believe that AMA Pro Racing is unlikely to make such a move due to Dunlop's deep-seated influence within the organization.

AMA teams that have tested in the past at co-op tests and currently do not use Dunlop tires include Ducati Austin (fielding Eric Bostrom) and Valvoline EMGO Suzuki (fielding Steve Rapp, Vincent Haskovec and Chris Peris).
post #8 of 10 Old 01-24-2004, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrf41999
I have not run Dunlops on my bike or jeep in a few years after having tons of problems with my Jeep tires, and not impressed with the 207's on my bike, So I am a michelin man now.

Quote:
Dunlop Buys Up AMA Team Test Dates, Excludes Non-Dunlop Teams

Dunlop Tire Company has bought up existing test dates scheduled by factory AMA teams fielded by Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha, to limit testing by AMA teams and riders that do not use Dunlop tires.

Up until this point, AMA teams have frequently tested together and shared costs associated with testing, including track rental, ambulance, insurance, cornerworkers and haybales, with no regard to the brand of motorcycle or tire used by participating teams. The typical direct cost for a participating team can run between $1500 and $15,000 per co-op test, depending upon the individual racetrack and the number of teams participating in a given test. Travel expenses, air freight for special parts, hotel costs and fees paid to contracted mechanics are additional expenses.

Sources at several of the involved Dunlop-sponsored teams confirmed the deal to roadracingworld.com, as did a ranking executive at one of the OEMs; none were willing to be quoted or identified by name for fear of retribution by Dunlop--in the form of their team being supplied less-competitive tires. "Yeah, they called up and said they wanted to buy all our test dates," said a member of a Superbike team that frequently is the lead renter for co-op test dates, and who asked not to be identified. "They said they wanted to be able to keep non-Dunlop teams out of the tests."

Dunlop is estimated to have spent between $300,000 and $600,000 buying up all the test dates, based on the amount of testing Dunlop-sponsored teams do in a typical calendar year and the cost of renting tracks and paying for ambulance crews, insurance, cornerworkers and haybales.

Available test dates that fit around the AMA schedule are a hot commodity, in limited supply. With Yoshimura Suzuki, for example, testing for 22 days at stand-alone test sessions in 2003, this move by Dunlop will severely limit testing opportunities by non-Dunlop teams and thus inhibit competition in AMA Pro Racing.

Although the IRL car racing series recently outlawed independent (or private) testing in favor of IRL-sanctioned and controlled test dates open to all competitors, observers believe that AMA Pro Racing is unlikely to make such a move due to Dunlop's deep-seated influence within the organization.

AMA teams that have tested in the past at co-op tests and currently do not use Dunlop tires include Ducati Austin (fielding Eric Bostrom) and Valvoline EMGO Suzuki (fielding Steve Rapp, Vincent Haskovec and Chris Peris).
I personally run Bridgestone Battleaxes, BTO14's and i can't complain at all.
post #9 of 10 Old 01-24-2004, 02:52 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

I use those on my wheel barrow.... ROTFLMAO!!

BD

Those who stir the shit pot should have to lick the spoon.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-24-2004, 09:45 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

tire test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy
The SBK's have out grown DIS plain & simple. The track surface itself SUCKS bigtime as does the venue itself as this is the only track like it on the entire schedule, therefore special one-off tires are produced just for it...BS get the phuck away from DIS before someone gets killed and the AMA is sending out condolence cards to family & loved ones because they couldn't make a sensible decision to bag it..

BD
Ditto. If they took Daytona off the schedule, it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

My vote for tires: So far, I think I have been through something like 8 or 9 sets of tires on my R1. I prefer Pirelli tires. The original 207's cupped on the front and the bike was always squirley. I thought Pilot Sports were a lot better, but did not seem to have the grip of the Pirelli's. Even Metzler's that are supposed to be the same as Pirelli, did not seem to work as well. The last track day I attended, I could only get Bridgestone 001R's and the R1 developed a terrible head shake that I couldn't dial out. Next time, I will have Pirelli tires lined up ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.