parts for sale - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 12-29-2003, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

parts for sale

Incedentally does anyone know if the rear wheel is 5.5 inches or 6 inches?

I am thinking it is 6, that is why I am selling the wheels I had on my 636. Soooo, if anyone knows anyone interested in blue pm chicanes (anodizing can be lightly sanded off and polished also), with full floating pm rotors for the front, please give them my email: brunsr@enterprise.navy.mil.

I am keeping my scotts oil filter, scotts steering dampner also, should go to the 10r, I will have to get the new base for the 10r though.

Thanks

If you are not smoking your pucks and scuffing your sidewalls, you are just not livin'!!!

Kwak
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 12-29-2003, 08:09 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Re: parts for sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakman
Incedentally does anyone know if the rear wheel is 5.5 inches or 6 inches?

I am thinking it is 6, that is why I am selling the wheels I had on my 636. Soooo, if anyone knows anyone interested in blue pm chicanes (anodizing can be lightly sanded off and polished also), with full floating pm rotors for the front, please give them my email: brunsr@enterprise.navy.mil.

I am keeping my scotts oil filter, scotts steering dampner also, should go to the 10r, I will have to get the new base for the 10r though.

Thanks
Rims for the ZX10R= 3.5 x 17 front and a 6.00 x 17 rear.

Make Mine Green or Orange or Black or Blue
post #3 of 14 Old 12-30-2003, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks Ninja, I figured as much!

Who knows what I can do, I do have a machine shop at my disposal!

If you are not smoking your pucks and scuffing your sidewalls, you are just not livin'!!!

Kwak

post #4 of 14 Old 01-01-2004, 01:30 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I have to ask... why would you put POS chicanes on a ZX10.. let alone ANY motorcycle? Those rims are junk! They are heavier than 99% of the stock factory wheels anyway.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-09-2004, 04:59 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I guess for 2 reasons, the factory black ones look like crap, and pm's allow me to use the full floating rotors which are 2" larger than stock, but breaking isn't an option for some people, they only know how to turn the throttle in a straight line! You know, guys with turbos and NOS.

Kwak
post #6 of 14 Old 01-10-2004, 02:44 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I guess for 2 reasons, the factory black ones look like crap, and pm's allow me to use the full floating rotors which are 2" larger than stock, but breaking isn't an option for some people, they only know how to turn the throttle in a straight line! You know, guys with turbos and NOS.
I have a feeling that you won't need floating rotors to stop better. Some have said already that the 10R has the best brakes in Japanese racing. Not to mention factory race teams normally ditch the calipers and rotors the first chance they get in superbike for 6/8 piston calipers made by brembo, etc. But Hayes has been on record to say that the stock brakes are more thanenough power to stop bike.

I mean if it's a looks thing I understand. Some people arent buying these bikes to be competitive on the track. But if it's a performance thing, save your money. :D
post #7 of 14 Old 01-10-2004, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Well, the new ones do stop fantastically well, not to mention everything else. I mean crap, I bought two of the 636's. one for me, and one for the wife, because it was an awesome bike in and of itself, but why not make it better?

Yes looks, but performance also. For those who are unaware of pm equipment, to put the pm rotors on (they are 6 hole vice the kawi 5 hole), you would need race wheels.......ah getting lighter now! So, they are lighter than stock, and look better. But you have to remember the whole starting thing, these came from my 92 7r, from which I rode for 11 years! How many people have been riding the same bike to begin with for 11 years? Most people have crashed their brains out in 2-3. I had to upgrade the bike though. I put a zx9 engine in, (95 or 96 engine, with ported head). I was on the track 2 years ago (VIR south course), the guy who worked at shop was asking my how fast I was going, told him don't know, didn't have speedo (back to pm race wheels having no speedo housing), but I had maxxed out 5th gear, never hit sixth. He said he was doing 165 on his 2002 gsxr 1000, and he was never able to catch me, we were both turning in the neighborhood of 1:22-24's. Not that you needed any of this info, but, I have been strictly kawi since 91, and can and do ride the wheels off the bike. I can't tell you how much I liked the 6r, and then adding the items I did, only made it better: scotts dampner, scotts oil filter, K&N, pow/cmdr, pms and rotors, moriwaki ti. Was getting the penske this winter, and Don Finelli from traxxion was going to re work the susp, but now he gets to do my 10r now.

Sorry, just can't stand people who talk a lot of shit, and can't back it up. I am not saying anyone is, but, unless they know the specifics of what they are talking about, ask, don't say! PM race wheels even chicanes ARE lighter than the stock kawi 6r wheels, not to mention they do look better!

Kwak
post #8 of 14 Old 01-10-2004, 10:56 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
I would guess that the PM wheels might be lighter than the older style Kawi wheels, but I doubt that they are lighter than the wheels on the ZX10. Some of the journalist at Homestead thought that the ZX10 wheels looked too thin for continuous street (pot hole, wheelie) abuse. Kawasaki has said they are almost as light as "race specific" wheels, like Marchesini wheels, for example. I don't know if you don't like the style of the new K rim or the black finish. I don't like black wheels. They don't show any depth. I am going to make it one of my goals to powder coat or paint the wheels the first chance I get. First tire change.

As far as going to rotors 2" larger than stock (348 mm ???), I probably would not do that right away. From what I have read, the stock brakes are the best that anyone has tested. Equal to the 4 pot Brembo radials that are used in MotoGP and WSB. It seems that no one has been able to make the ZX10 brakes fade and they are reported to have fantastic feel. The Brembos have too much initial bite to suit my taste. One of the advantages of radial brakes for race teams is the ability to easily change the rotor diameter, if the class rules allow it. If they go to a track that is hard on brakes, they might want to fit larger rotors. But all of the pro riders would prefer to use the smallest (lightest) rotors they can use without fade. With smaller rotors and very light wheels, you have less rotational mass, less inertia, so it requires less effort to turn. The low mass of the stock ZX10 setup is probably one of the reasons for the positive comments from testers that the ZX10 turns in exceptionally well. Kawasaki really took it to the edge there.

By the by. The "wave" brake rotors on the ZX10 are full floating.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-10-2004, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes, I agree about the zx10r, totally.

Also, the wave rotors, I believe are "semi" full floating as all the others in the past have been, which means they don't move for crap!

I am actually on a deployment right now, and going to be looking in italy at the carbon fiber wheels, I think those would look sharp!

I liked the bigger rotors, as you can go in a little hotter and get a better "bite" on the brakes with out the rear end coming up so fast.

I agree, they never faded, but, you can't imagine what it felt like going in a corner and hammering down with those pms on that light of a bike! It was awesome, and you had to make sure you had a good pucker on the seat as well! :-)

Kwak
post #10 of 14 Old 01-10-2004, 03:49 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeta xray
Quote:
I would guess that the PM wheels might be lighter than the older style Kawi wheels, but I doubt that they are lighter than the wheels on the ZX10. Some of the journalist at Homestead thought that the ZX10 wheels looked too thin for continuous street (pot hole, wheelie) abuse. Kawasaki has said they are almost as light as "race specific" wheels, like Marchesini wheels, for example. I don't know if you don't like the style of the new K rim or the black finish. I don't like black wheels. They don't show any depth. I am going to make it one of my goals to powder coat or paint the wheels the first chance I get. First tire change.

As far as going to rotors 2" larger than stock (348 mm ???), I probably would not do that right away. From what I have read, the stock brakes are the best that anyone has tested. Equal to the 4 pot Brembo radials that are used in MotoGP and WSB. It seems that no one has been able to make the ZX10 brakes fade and they are reported to have fantastic feel. The Brembos have too much initial bite to suit my taste. One of the advantages of radial brakes for race teams is the ability to easily change the rotor diameter, if the class rules allow it. If they go to a track that is hard on brakes, they might want to fit larger rotors. But all of the pro riders would prefer to use the smallest (lightest) rotors they can use without fade. With smaller rotors and very light wheels, you have less rotational mass, less inertia, so it requires less effort to turn. The low mass of the stock ZX10 setup is probably one of the reasons for the positive comments from testers that the ZX10 turns in exceptionally well. Kawasaki really took it to the edge there.

By the by. The "wave" brake rotors on the ZX10 are full floating.
I agree. The rims on the 10R are the new six spoke design supposedly 10 percent lighter than any other rim comming on a stock bike.

If your really interested in increasing brake peformance it really wont lie that much in rotors. Not that you wont notice the different, there will be a difference. Just not one worth the money, you'd be better off leaving the rotors and calipers as is, and buying a brembo radial pump master cyl, and maybe some steel braided brake lines. But new rims and rotors should be the last thing you change unless.. It's just for looks. And as I said I have no problem with people changing it for looks. I plan to customize the crap out of mine, and people might not like the way it looks when its done. Im doing it for me not them.. Im just saying in terms of performance there are a lot of better routes than that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.