For Sale Excel Pro-Series Sportbike Wheels - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 Old 05-21-2018, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Okay somewhere in the middle lies the truth :). I just wrote RK Excel and this is what they said.

"We have postponed the sale of the “Pro-Series” sport bike wheels.

It had been brought to our attention that one of the drive carrier bolts had backed out of the carrier.
Which in turn had cause damage to the swing arm.

Being that we are unsure as to as to the cause of this incident. Either as a result of the manufacturer or of the customer possibly removing the bolt and not reinstalling it correctly. We feel that in the interest of consumer safety that we should halt the sale of the wheels until which time we came insure that the bolts are secured properly to insure the safety of the user.

After which time we sale of the wheels will resume." Gary L. Kies, RK / Excel America

So no "catastrophic loss" unless that guys swing arm was chromed (or would that be a catastrophic win? LOL). Anyway, my wheel had two different sprockets put on and off it at 40+ ftlbs of torque and those bolts didn't go anywhere.

IMO
1. That guy over torqued and/or stripped the nut on the way off bad enough to loosen a bolt from the carrier (probably in excess of 80 ftlbs to do that). Or actually removed it for some reason (again, not easy!).
2. One or two people turned ONE bolt SCRATCHING a swing arm into CATASTROPHIC FAILURE (not saying its you guys).
3. RK Excel can't afford the bad PR right out of the gate and is either out or changing the attachment of the carrier bolts to be idiot proof.

Personally I would keep using them and maybe look now again like I do for clip ons, rear wheels, calipers, and chain guards... all of which I have had come loose or completely off while riding (the clip on was a undy stainer LOL).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

A few idiots wouldn't stop me from running these.
eegeland likes this.

post #13 of 15 Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink. View Post
A few idiots wouldn't stop me from running these.
Exactly! Black listing RK Excel Sport Bike Wheels is like black listing Dunlop Qualifier tires because ONE person had ONE rear tire that wouldn't hold air (also probably not the tires fault) LOL.

post #14 of 15 Old 05-25-2018, 04:00 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegeland View Post
Exactly! Black listing RK Excel Sport Bike Wheels is like black listing Dunlop Qualifier tires because ONE person had ONE rear tire that wouldn't hold air (also probably not the tires fault) LOL.
The only difference is Dunlop continues to sell tires and RK pulled these wheels before the law of averages caught up to them.
post #15 of 15 Old 05-25-2018, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

LMAO - Thats because people didn't start rumors about catastrophic Dunlop failures! You DO get that the whole point being made here don't you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in