What's old is new again - 2017 GSXR-1000 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 11-19-2015, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
What's old is new again - 2017 GSXR-1000

Not sure who's seen this, but it's Suzuki's Concept for the 2017 GSXR-1000. It's only a concept at this point, but likely to go into production.

Highlights:
- Variable valve timing on the intake side
- Same balance free forks as the 2016 ZX-10R
- Some chassis tweaks
- Ride-by-wire
- 10-level traction control, adjustable while riding
- Three selectable modes of engine power delivery (Suzuki Drive Mode Selector S-DMS) - Electronic ABS
- Launch control
-Quick-shift system for both up- and downshifts, implemented (for downshifting) via an auto-blipper

scout and SDsting like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 11-19-2015, 12:13 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

They need to do something the GSXR is way way over due for a major upgrade.
post #3 of 43 Old 11-19-2015, 12:21 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Look wise that thing is ugly, spec wise it sounds cool, not much different than every other bike right now with all the electronics.
I'm not sure what variable valve timing does for performance?
post #4 of 43 Old 11-19-2015, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaLife View Post
Look wise that thing is ugly, spec wise it sounds cool, not much different than every other bike right now with all the electronics.

I'm not sure what variable valve timing does for performance?

The only thing this bike had going for it is the variable valve timing. That should make for a pretty wicked power band with a wide, flat torque curve. We'll see though. Variable valve timing is the way forward for all the bikes in the near future. Lots of advantages if they can make a light weight, reliable system for the smaller motors.

The electronics still seem to be lacking. While everyone else has gone to gyros for monitoring the status of the bike, there's no mention of that in the specs and it's all done through software. Like the current gen 4.
NinjaLife likes this.

#WordCrimes

post #5 of 43 Old 11-19-2015, 01:22 PM
I really need to get out of the house

Posting Frequency

What's old is new again

In some respects that's very true. As a person who seeks eye appeal when making a purchase decision i'm pleased. Single side exiting exhausts are appealing to me and glad to see them reappear not having owned or ridden a bike since my 04 zx10 i haven't a clue what, how, where the electro tech advancements programming come into play as to their benefits for the end user/rider so i'm lost

BD
post #6 of 43 Old 11-19-2015, 02:28 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Looks pretty decent to me.

post #7 of 43 Old 11-19-2015, 04:57 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Maybe the looks will grow on me, but that variable valve timing does sound really cool and really promising, GSXR's weren't that bad of a bike, although I did only ride a k6 and I loved the power delivery of that thing, if the new one has that same power delivery then I think that powerband will be crazy along with the variable valve timing.
post #8 of 43 Old 11-19-2015, 05:18 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Kawasaki Concours 1400 had vvt since 2008. You don't really know what you're getting, it could be a simple vvt with 2 positions ( advance and retarded), I wouldn't be all excited about it. But if the vvt is more techy, meaning it has multiple advanced and retarded positions it might be worth little bit of power and few mpgs. I am still waiting on direct injection with vvt and forced induction liter bike, hell even 500cc would do really.

I hope the bike is all that when it does come out, and it doesn't get ruined by a suzuki.
SkyDork likes this.
post #9 of 43 Old 11-19-2015, 07:27 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

i'm sorry skydork but no, you are still old, again. now, and forever...

i'd love the gsxr to make a comeback. every bike should just be badass. the cbr is slated for 2017 remodel so that could be a great year for those 2 to finally get back in the game that bmw started, kawi followed with and yamaha just joined
SkyDork likes this.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #10 of 43 Old 11-20-2015, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercoupe9 View Post
Kawasaki Concours 1400 had vvt since 2008. You don't really know what you're getting, it could be a simple vvt with 2 positions ( advance and retarded), I wouldn't be all excited about it. But if the vvt is more techy, meaning it has multiple advanced and retarded positions it might be worth little bit of power and few mpgs. I am still waiting on direct injection with vvt and forced induction liter bike, hell even 500cc would do really.

I hope the bike is all that when it does come out, and it doesn't get ruined by a suzuki.
This is true. But according to the description I read, the centrifugal bearing arrangement in the cam made it sound like it was a more variable type setup instead of just discrete positions. And that would make it pretty simple mechanically. Again, we'll have to wait and see how it performs. But I see electronically controlled VVT as the next big break-through in the motor department. How that's implemented on a smaller high-performance motor is anyone's guess, but I imagine it's coming in the not too distant future.

#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.