Total knee replacement - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 Old 03-23-2018, 02:52 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Never had a knee replaced, but know that doing the physical therapy thing to the very end is a must. If you don't, you risk damaging your knee again and/or not having full range of movement in the joint.

I had my right thumb tore off in 2007-8(I've slept since then lol) and without the physical therapists help and going there every day I would not have the range of motion in my thumb to do jack shite. (Well, the phenomenal doctors that put it back on too helped)

I realize our injuries are apples and oranges and doesn't answer your question, but I will say take your time and let it heal the right way, you will not regret it and be back in the saddle pain free in no time.
MrMoto73 and ddipaola like this.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 Old 03-23-2018, 09:59 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Dang, what happened to cause this procedure? Crap, next question is, do you like your insurance?
post #13 of 27 Old 03-24-2018, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Dang, what happened to cause this procedure? Crap, next question is, do you like your insurance?
In 1996 I was stationed at Aviano Air Base in Italy. I got hit by a car head on while riding. An American lady in a giant ass truck thought she could squeeze by me on a little narrow road. Nope, I ended up on the hood of her truck with my right leg smashed between the motorcycle and the truck grill. It was pretty gross. The Italian docs were ready to cut my leg off above the knee but then the Air Force docs intervened and they put it back together.

Took me two years to be able to bend it to 120 degrees and be able to ride sportbikes again after that. It sucked though because I always hurt after rides. I just sucked it up because I love riding.

Anyway, to make a long story short...20 years later I finally had the knee replacement surgery that I needed. I suffered with a lot of pain because it was just bone on bone and then the arthritis got really bad about eight years ago. That is when I really started to get on the VA to get the replacement done.

What insurance are you talking about? Health or vehicle? VA covers my medical and I also have Medicare from social security. USAA covers my cars and dairyland covers the bike.
ddipaola likes this.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #14 of 27 Old 03-24-2018, 10:24 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Well sir, lucky for you, if you can't make the new knee cooperate, the new class of upright liter bikes are brilliant. I picked up a new left over 2016 GSX-S1000 for (cheap) street riding, and I love it. But the new MT-10 SP, Tuono Factory, and Super Duke are all so bad ass. I just didn't want to spend a bunch on a "street only" bike.
MrMoto73 likes this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #15 of 27 Old 03-24-2018, 04:25 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hi mate!Ive had both done in the last 2-1/2 years!right knee was fine but honestly it's a year until things get back to sort of normal!now my left was a different matter!10 days after the replacement I went to take a step down from my garage and my left knee gave way and bent the opposite way to say a kneeling position!I found out I had torn the ligament that helps in the bending action!I had to actually lift my calf and at the same time try and swing my leg to get into bed!in the end my wife would support below my knee if I needed to sit down and have my leg elevated!it took 3 months of rest so it could heal then they put me into hospital for 3 days with a machine connected to that leg bending my knee 24/7!each day they would increase the angle of how far it bent!I had a epidural so I was numb from the waist down!I have ridden my bike but it was a nightmare!I actually had incredible hard time just trying to get my left knee to bend enough so I could get my foot on the lhs peg!the ride was nothing less than torture!I new what I had to do to overcome this set back!I had to start bending the knee past the point of where it wanted to stop!I got into a pool and did heaps of squats and walking for months!everytime I sat down I pushed the knee to actually stretch all the ligaments that had been out of action for so long!I walked heaps and just made the knee work!its a long journey with pain and downer days but it worked!their still a little stiff but I can sit comfortably on my bike and riding is a great feeling again!Its all about time!things take time to heal BUT you have push past what your mind is telling you what your knee can't do!work that fker and it will come good!now I've got 3 herniated discs!2 in my neck and 1 in the lower back!lifes sucks sometimes ay lol......
MrMoto73 likes this.
post #16 of 27 Old 03-26-2018, 06:12 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoto73 View Post
In 1996 I was stationed at Aviano Air Base in Italy. I got hit by a car head on while riding. An American lady in a giant ass truck thought she could squeeze by me on a little narrow road. Nope, I ended up on the hood of her truck with my right leg smashed between the motorcycle and the truck grill. It was pretty gross. The Italian docs were ready to cut my leg off above the knee but then the Air Force docs intervened and they put it back together.

Took me two years to be able to bend it to 120 degrees and be able to ride sportbikes again after that. It sucked though because I always hurt after rides. I just sucked it up because I love riding.

Anyway, to make a long story short...20 years later I finally had the knee replacement surgery that I needed. I suffered with a lot of pain because it was just bone on bone and then the arthritis got really bad about eight years ago. That is when I really started to get on the VA to get the replacement done.

What insurance are you talking about? Health or vehicle? VA covers my medical and I also have Medicare from social security. USAA covers my cars and dairyland covers the bike.
Backstory really really helps. I hope this procedure works perfectly.
post #17 of 27 Old 03-26-2018, 06:15 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
Hi mate!Ive had both done in the last 2-1/2 years!right knee was fine but honestly it's a year until things get back to sort of normal!now my left was a different matter!10 days after the replacement I went to take a step down from my garage and my left knee gave way and bent the opposite way to say a kneeling position!I found out I had torn the ligament that helps in the bending action!I had to actually lift my calf and at the same time try and swing my leg to get into bed!in the end my wife would support below my knee if I needed to sit down and have my leg elevated!it took 3 months of rest so it could heal then they put me into hospital for 3 days with a machine connected to that leg bending my knee 24/7!each day they would increase the angle of how far it bent!I had a epidural so I was numb from the waist down!I have ridden my bike but it was a nightmare!I actually had incredible hard time just trying to get my left knee to bend enough so I could get my foot on the lhs peg!the ride was nothing less than torture!I new what I had to do to overcome this set back!I had to start bending the knee past the point of where it wanted to stop!I got into a pool and did heaps of squats and walking for months!everytime I sat down I pushed the knee to actually stretch all the ligaments that had been out of action for so long!I walked heaps and just made the knee work!its a long journey with pain and downer days but it worked!their still a little stiff but I can sit comfortably on my bike and riding is a great feeling again!Its all about time!things take time to heal BUT you have push past what your mind is telling you what your knee can't do!work that fker and it will come good!now I've got 3 herniated discs!2 in my neck and 1 in the lower back!lifes sucks sometimes ay lol......
You were my first thought when Moto posted. Didn't know Sky had knee stuff, either, but I think he photochopped!

Last edited by scout; 03-28-2018 at 08:43 PM.
post #18 of 27 Old 03-27-2018, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterd10r View Post
Holy crap man! Yeah, I'll be cranking on this knee and working it till I can get it to 120. That will be optimal enough to do some recreational knee dragging from time to time. :)

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #19 of 27 Old 03-28-2018, 07:03 AM
OMG Look at that squid!!

Posting Frequency

My aunt had knee replacement. It took her a year to get normal'ish. I don't think she ever got full rom though. You are determined and having already fought through a lot of pain with it in the past, I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle soon. I had to lower the rearsets on my 16' 10R because the angle was too much for my right knee. I damaged it and had 1/3 of my meniscus removed 10 years ago. I lost rom from that actually. But, today I can run and what not, just not totally perfect. Left knee is torn now as well. Anyway, like obijack said though, the naked bikes are phenomenal. If it comes down to it, you could pickup any number of more comfortable bikes that rip. I sold my 14' Monster 1200S to one of my best buds. That bike was so comfortable and it absolutely got it done. Faster than most bikes up to 100 and can hang with super bikes on the mountain passes. Amazing machine.

Anyway, good luck on the healing process. PT is key for certain.
scout and MrMoto73 like this.

Because wheelie!!!

16' ZX10R - 08' Hypermotard 1100s
14' Ducati Monster 1200S - SOLD
13' RSV4-R - SOLD
My ZX10R's 11' - 08' - 07' - 05' - 04' - ALL SOLD
Miss my Black 04' the most!
Never enough money, never enough time!

post #20 of 27 Old 03-28-2018, 08:40 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackaddict View Post
My aunt had knee replacement. It took her a year to get normal'ish. I don't think she ever got full rom though. You are determined and having already fought through a lot of pain with it in the past, I'm sure you'll be back in the saddle soon. I had to lower the rearsets on my 16' 10R because the angle was too much for my right knee. I damaged it and had 1/3 of my meniscus removed 10 years ago. I lost rom from that actually. But, today I can run and what not, just not totally perfect. Left knee is torn now as well. Anyway, like obijack said though, the naked bikes are phenomenal. If it comes down to it, you could pickup any number of more comfortable bikes that rip. I sold my 14' Monster 1200S to one of my best buds. That bike was so comfortable and it absolutely got it done. Faster than most bikes up to 100 and can hang with super bikes on the mountain passes. Amazing machine.

Anyway, good luck on the healing process. PT is key for certain.
Yes, physical training does help for broken stuff and have to do a lot of it, not just with the trainer person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in