Tar Snakes - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-27-2017, 10:31 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Tar Snakes

Fuckin hate em!

Indiana bikers voice concerns over ?tar snakes? | WISH-TV

Ever get a good slide out of one? Pull away from a stop light right into a turn and get that front wiggly at about 10-20mph?

Edit - a little background.... OUR ROADS ARE SHIT HERE IN INDIANA!! Its like a puzzle of pieces put together with tar snakes.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

"I - finally see the dawn arriving. I - see beyond the road im drivin'"

"People livin' in competition - all i want is to have my peace of mind"

Last edited by Capncalyx; 07-27-2017 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Never dealt with those but I know the painted stripes can be slippery as a mo fugger in the rain.

post #3 of 10 Old 07-27-2017, 12:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I've never had a uh-oh moment with the tar snakes I always wondered if they were as much as a hazard as the painted lines can be. I just assumed the tar snakes were no good just because of how slick they look!

04' ZX10
06' Green ZX10-On the road to recovery
post #4 of 10 Old 07-27-2017, 12:35 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

We have a lot of them up where I live. I never used to think of them as a problem until I went around a smooth bend at a brisk pace with fresh tar snakes. I could feel the whole bike wiggling (slightly) around the corner as the bike slipped every time a tire hit one. However, it wasn't a problem at my relatively shallow lean as the tires would slip on the tar but grip again when transitioning back to pavement.

That being said, I could totally see myself lowsiding if I had been going much, much faster while leaned over aggressively.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #5 of 10 Old 07-27-2017, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

A lot seems to depend on conditions/variables. When it gets up to a certain temperature they can get pretty greasy. I talked to the guy/Executive Director of ABATE of IN today and mentioned that i also feel like certain bikes lean more than others and depending on the tire and conditions, that could exacerbate the issue. He seems to have a theory that its how the tar is applied and to what thickness. Gotta agree and am gonna guess that applying it too thick so it sits above the road surface could possibly be an issue. Seems like they always get me at slow to moderate (within speed limits) speeds while cranked over, now if im doing 60mph, whether thats the speed limit or not, it seems to have less of a effect. Maybe because of the speed and recovery time/overall balance of the bike if that makes sense. The "squirm" seems to be less at high speeds although im sure in the right conditions a tar snake on a hot day or something could easily lay the bike down at 140+, certainly.

Ive never had a huge problem with them but ive had many times where they give just enough of a problem to make my ass pucker more-so than other times im riding. Im probably equally as aware of tar snakes as i am of everything else on the road, thats how much thought i put into them - not simply a forgotten thing but a very conscious awareness.

There are certain places that are bad too. I have a stop light near me where i sometimes have to pull a Lefty (I SO avoid those!). From a dead stop, light turns green, let the clutch out as im turning/leaning left over those evil tar snakes and the front gets squirmy nearly every time unless things are just perfect. Ive had full on slips with the front before on tar snakes where i damn near have to swallow my heart afterwards...now if the back squirms out or kicks out a little, thats controllable and easily so for most of us, the front - i really feel like you need some miles under yer belt to really get the feel of that weirdness when it slips. Most of us should be good if/when the rear slips but the front is a whole nuther deal.

But yea, seems like painted lines are just as bad if not worse at times - really scares me if its wet!! - Tar snakes can also be nasty when its wet! I feel like if the temp drops to around 60 they seem to harden a bit then if they're wet - whoa!!!

Last edited by Capncalyx; 07-28-2017 at 11:00 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-27-2017, 06:27 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

tire profile, and siping depth, patterns also cause tar snakes to really give you the pucker moments. Michelin pilot pures were TERRIBLE on snakes. my pirrelli supercorsas don't have as much issues with them. your results may vary. Ski

May we all, get to have a chance to ride the fast one, walk away wiser when we crash one, keep hopin that the best one is the last one.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-28-2017, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

^^^^^^^^^ I'll buy that for a dollar! Like i said above im getting a lot of lower speed slips from my new Dunlops than i used to with the B-stones. Think yer onto something there.

post #8 of 10 Old 07-31-2017, 05:37 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

yes, CA roads have zillions of tar snakes; most of my loop roads are county maintained meaning each county road shot caller has his own tar snake formula.

Most lay them thin, np, but Santa Cruz county lays them thick, or at least thick a couple years ago. Bottom line is that the bike wants at LEAST a crack of the throttle to dominate the snake. Next, that means you have to know that road.

Again, even a crack of throttle tames a tar snake. Can't coast, for sure. Well coast ok if straight, I guess. I'm loose on front, know road and ride everyday unless the bike blows up

Last edited by scout; 08-27-2017 at 11:32 AM.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

San Diego has them all over the highway. Usually just try to avoid that part of the lane. The worst part is when like grass grows out the cracks. That shit gets slippery as fuck. Caught one on my ZX7R (no steering damper) while throttling to pass someone who had try to run me out the lane while splitting lanes. Worst tank slapper of my life. Fucking prayed. Lol. Love the steering damper on the 10R. Still try to avoid them. Just pass quickly across them and hope for the best.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-30-2017, 09:38 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07_ZX10R View Post
San Diego has them all over the highway. Usually just try to avoid that part of the lane. The worst part is when like grass grows out the cracks. That shit gets slippery as fuck. Caught one on my ZX7R (no steering damper) while throttling to pass someone who had try to run me out the lane while splitting lanes. Worst tank slapper of my life. Fucking prayed. Lol. Love the steering damper on the 10R. Still try to avoid them. Just pass quickly across them and hope for the best.
You must be tight on the grips. If loose and dialed in with the slightest crack of the throttle, snakes are never a problem no matter of poorly laid down. On other hand, not sure about the handling on your year bike but can report no problems with snakes with any past supers I've owned.

Bike wants the throttle and cares less about how little; I should say, bike wants the throttle when SAFE to use it as sometimes simply can't apply any throttle. :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.