So I bought a mustang... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 12-02-2016, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

So I bought a mustang...

Alright, I bought a 2000 Mustang, V6 Coupe. I have a lot of ideas and I know how innovative a lot of you guys can be so I figured I'd get your opinions as well...

So far, all I've done is add an aftermarket intake, subwoofer, and a dual exhaust. My next two moves are to install race seats and remove the rear seats but I'm kind of stuck on what to do with the rearseat removal. I don't want it to look stripped so I was thinking adding carpet and a glass window maybe? Also, I've been thinking about putting a turbo on it to make it a v8 killer but I'm unsure considering the motor already has 110k. Good idea? Bad idea? Car is stick shift btw. (I sold my 10r to get it but I'll buy another really soon)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 12-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

If you have the 3.8 l v6, be careful. It had a history of blowing head gaskets. MY 95 Windstar did it twice. Never, ever, let it run low on coolant or over heat! Not a hard fix but a pita.

Otherwise its a great little engine. Was available with a blower in the Tbird Super coupe, and has some aftermarket support.

Go to Stangnet or other Mustang forums. There should be rear seat delete covers available. I have 3 running Foxes and an 08 Bullitt.
post #3 of 19 Old 12-03-2016, 07:19 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

you are kidding right? You want to modify a v6 mustang from 2000? You do know that mustang's actually handle good now and are quick. That piece of shit, you need to keep it stock and hope you can drive it for a couple of years without having to replace a bunch of stuff. I hope i was blunt enough to keep you from wasting money on that turd. If you want a mustang to go fast, go buy a 2011+ coyote V8 gt.
bun1t, Capncalyx and turtle1000 like this.

2016 ZX10R KRT ABS
2014 Ninja 300 SE
2016 DRZ400SM
post #4 of 19 Old 12-03-2016, 07:30 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
you are kidding right? You want to modify a v6 mustang from 2000? You do know that mustang's actually handle good now and are quick. That piece of shit, you need to keep it stock and hope you can drive it for a couple of years without having to replace a bunch of stuff. I hope i was blunt enough to keep you from wasting money on that turd. If you want a mustang to go fast, go buy a 2011+ coyote V8 gt.
Yep you were blunt, but spoke truth. To the op, it will never be fast unless you dump a lot of money in it.

I would say do more cosmetic stuff because that is where you are most likely to get any kind of return on the investment.

I'm dialed in Euro style.
post #5 of 19 Old 12-03-2016, 10:17 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

lol how ironic, I just got a 96' Cobra last week.
I used to have the 95 with the 5.0 and traded it due to me needing something more reliable. That was almost ten years ago.
We found this cobra to be just about mechanically perfect but just needs some TLC. I'm about to head to the junkyard to grab some parts for it now lol. Good luck with your stang! These are easy cars to work on and have a ton of parts out there available for them, hell you may want to look into the Coyote Engine swap! I saw one on youtube in a 2000 body and that thing was insane!

04' ZX10
06' Green ZX10-On the road to recovery
post #6 of 19 Old 12-03-2016, 10:51 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
This X1000
post #7 of 19 Old 12-03-2016, 03:01 PM
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
So what he bought what some consider a turd. To each their own. I have two turd cars. A 97 Trans Am with an LT1 and a 97 Formula with an LT1. My T/A is still needing a rebuild, but my wife and I had our first date in it and it has sentimental value so I want to keep it. So, one day I'll rebuild the POS motor in it. The Formula I dumped 3k into it after the transmission and opti failed so I am probably keeping that till it dies again. I'll never get my money out of it selling it even though I am trying.

Good luck with your pony. It will bring you joy and headaches just like my turds.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #9 of 19 Old 12-06-2016, 12:11 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Would hate to see what would happen to that otherwise bone stock V6 from 2000 with 110K while being flogged by a turbo. Money pit? Sorry dude, i am biased as a bowtie guy lol. I think it hurts more to hear what you sold to get it. Dude!

Im still here for ya though man!

Edit - p.s. As a bowtie guy my last POS was a 2000 Blazer ZR2 but she was only shitty from being rode hard and put up wet. Not that they are anything great in decent shape. I never tried to mod it though either. Flowmaster muff and call it a day.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

"I'll smoke it with ya bro, we'll go to the looney bin together!"

"Strong Men Also Cry"

Last edited by Capncalyx; 12-06-2016 at 12:13 PM.
post #10 of 19 Old 12-06-2016, 12:25 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I kinda skimmed the Original Post, I don't know if I would have gotten rid of my gen 1 for a V6 lol but like I said earlier, you have tons of options when it comes to modding. If you're good with motors wrenching on these cars aren't too bad and will definitely keep you busy with all the things you can do to them.

And you don't necessarily need one of those new mustangs to go fast. If you have deep pockets then yeah it's no problem, but these older stangs can be made to go pretty quick even if you don't have deep pockets.

04' ZX10
06' Green ZX10-On the road to recovery

Last edited by NinjaLife; 12-06-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.