Lost my job today - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-17-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

Lost my job today

hey, just letting my friends here know, lost my job today a week short of 25 years at Argonne National Lab.

on going budget problems in our division ended up with 4 people being reduced in force. Wasn't a blood bath but 4 people in one day is tough on those who remain.

In a pretty good spot, looking at a 5 figure severance package. They are paying me for the next two weeks in lieu of two weeks notice, and I have 5.5 weeks of vacation time on the books so at least for a bit, shouldn't be too devistateing.

As my daughter said, now I have the freedom to have a career change... Is 49 to old to jump into the MotoGP game?

for those of you who talk to the big Guy up stairs, just say a word or two on my behalf when you do

thanks

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back

Last edited by Rifleman; 03-17-2017 at 05:32 PM. Reason: add a photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-17-2017, 05:51 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Terrible news. I just asked Christ to look after you. I did a brief scan of your employer. Know nothing about them but something about who would be funding them: Government, Intelligence and foundations. Something's going on in DC. If intel is about to be guillotined partially or totally, if that is possible, then all the Universities are going to bite dust big time. A bunch of fall out including among all the dork companies posing as climate change supporters. If so, this will be interesting. No evidence of ANY of the above, just thinking.

What is your specialty?
post #3 of 31 Old 03-17-2017, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

Nuclear research, was working on Accelerator based production of isotopes for radiopharmaceuticals, Mo99, Cu67, Scandium isotopes. Have done health physics and rad con work in the past. Used to run nuc subs for the US Navy many moons ago.

The guy in the next office over works with/for NSA so there is a possibility that when funding is drying up in my area, funding may be opening up there. Got an iron or two in the fire already.

it's only 7 hours old, haven't even had time to think about making a plan. Got to talk to someone about the severance package and what I can and can't do.

plus it's the weekend, so time to let it slide until Monday.
scout likes this.

Quote:
post #4 of 31 Old 03-17-2017, 06:15 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

You know what....I'm 52 now and the same happened to me 3 years ago.....

I was just short of 25 years on the job. I went completely nuts. They say I was within 2-3minutes of dying due to the amount of pharmaceuticals I took..whatever, they like to exaggerate...but my plan was to give up. I was finished. Too old. Lets just die...

It took me a few months to recover. I built an amazing auto tune map for my ninja 1000, and really showed my wife how its done with regards to laundry and meal prep...the time off was a riot, and I really needed it.

Of course, three years later, I have a better job. I make more money, and actually enjoy what I do. The company I'm with now thinks I'm worth spending thousands on for advanced training, and Im headed to Dallas on Monday for some more.

Im sorry you are going through this, but please give time a chance to be your friend. Lots of the companies like us older guys because we KNOW how to follow rules, policies, and procedures.

The best advise I have is to look at what I did, then do everything 100% opposite...you will be in great shape.
andresmejia, scout and 10Arghh like this.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-17-2017, 06:46 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I am an ex navy nuke from the target fleet. Good luck on your next big adventure.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R
post #6 of 31 Old 03-17-2017, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

lol, yeah, will do.

actually pretty relieved to have what happened happen... I wouldn't have moved off that rock... so nothing better would have happened. Now there is a distinct possibility that it could be a great deal better

so...

step one... attempt to kill self... opposite is don't worry/be happy... check and done.

step 2, rock on!!!

Quote:
post #7 of 31 Old 03-17-2017, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by realpsi View Post
I am an ex navy nuke from the target fleet. Good luck on your next big adventure.
lol, you got to let everyone else in on the joke or they will never get it...

As we used to say in the Submarine fleet... "there are two types of ships in the navy... submarines.... and TARGETS!!!"

Quote:
post #8 of 31 Old 03-17-2017, 06:57 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Best of luck my friend on your next adventure in life..

The track is my HAPPY PLACE!
post #9 of 31 Old 03-17-2017, 07:19 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

My job search was funny. I had to make a few contacts a week to satisfy job service requirements.

For the first few months, I was in recover mode. I made a resume with misspelled words, and just enough profanity to make soemoen think I was really stupid. I also had a decent one.

I had done some damage to my body, and needed time to recover.

Id send this stupid resume out, and never hear from anyone..go figure. So, I get this phone interview, and did well.

They called me in to meet, face to face, and out pops this resume. But, it was a good company, and the job was what I wanted. Id accidentally sent them the stupid resume...

They all looked at it, and started laughing. They hired me on the spot, and its been great ever since.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-17-2017, 08:39 PM
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Good luck to you. With your knowledge and skill set along with all the contacts you have I bet you will be OK. Give yourself some you time to reflect and also some bonding time with the family. Surround yourself with a positive support system and you will actually come out of it refreshed with less stressful feelings.

I cannot imagine the shock though that must be. When I left the Air Force I was in my mid 30's and had a job lined up before I even left and was working it two months before I was technically out. I quit that after 5 years when I was offered contract work overseas. Then I made the decision to pursue my academic interest. So, I have no idea what getting walking papers must be like. I am fearful though of finding a job after I am done with grad school. I was supposed to do this federal contracting thing with my father in law, but I found out he was writing up over inflated bids and paying contracting officers under the table to approve his bids.... dirty as f@ck. So nope, I will not let him use me for getting veterans preference after that. I am pretty much back to square one on the job search.

Anyway I hope for the best for you on your new path wherever it takes you!
scout and 10Arghh like this.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.