Discouraged and annoyed - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 01-21-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Discouraged and annoyed

Just a rant about trying to find a career. I'm getting so fed up with getting turned down for everything I apply for. It is either I'm over qualified, my previous employments are "too varied", or I've been out of the work force too long. Other reasons pertain to credit checks and I've got too much student loan debt, a mortgage, and a couple dings from 2009 when I had a foreclosure. Apparently that means I'm not reliable or trust worthy.

What's more annoying is these jobs I've applied for are still posted on job sites months after I've applied meaning they just don't get filled. HR these days is making it impossible for job seekers to meet their ridiculous requirements.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Hang in there man. Your gonna find one. Just to share something from our HR, the last couple of hires filled out applications and attached resumes at least once a week to us. This way their name was always on the forefront and we knew they seriously wanted the position. It might seem like being a pest but it can definitely say that you really want the job. Keep after it man.
evilaugust likes this.

post #3 of 30 Old 01-21-2016, 03:57 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Don't know what field you're in, but when I got out of the military I signed up with a recruiting company. Also got a lot of calls when I put a resume on Monster.com. Good luck!
bluedevil likes this.

Stupidity and Motivation are a dangerous combination

Velocity Calibrations
post #4 of 30 Old 01-21-2016, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by or10r View Post
Hang in there man. Your gonna find one. Just to share something from our HR, the last couple of hires filled out applications and attached resumes at least once a week to us. This way their name was always on the forefront and we knew they seriously wanted the position. It might seem like being a pest but it can definitely say that you really want the job. Keep after it man.
Thanks. :)

I've applied for some jobs multiple times. I've been interviewed twice for the same state job that is always open. Both times I was told I would be bored and would probably eventually move on.

A couple other state jobs or fed jobs I have applied for have no exceptions for what they consider excessive credit or having a foreclosure. Same for some regular jobs as well.

Funny thing is we were looking at hiring practices in one of my graduate classes and there is no substantial evidence that correlates on how effective a worker is, or trustworthy they are, based on their credit reports. My professor postulates it is all hype from the background check companies to get more business from employers. Oh well....

post #5 of 30 Old 01-21-2016, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by evallarta1 View Post
Don't know what field you're in, but when I got out of the military I signed up with a recruiting company. Also got a lot of calls when I put a resume on Monster.com. Good luck!
I was a 2W171 Aircraft Weapons Systems technician in the military. But I have Federal Prison LE experience after that and I also did consulting for an international company.

I think my biggest problem is being out of the work force so long while going to school. I apply for non-entry level jobs and they see I have not been working for a while and I am told to apply for entry level.

I apply for entry level and they see my work history and experience and they think I am overqualified and will move on when something better comes along.

Anyway, my dream career would be something to do to help veterans. I've applied to wounded warrior project, so hopefully I hear from them.

post #6 of 30 Old 01-21-2016, 05:20 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Keep the chin up my man, it will happen. I had trouble back in the day getting this job I have now too. The credit thing sucks balls, it's kept a few out of the S.O. that I know are great people. I can say that if the credit score weighed on my hire back then I probably wouldn't have been hired either. Now it is great but back then not so much.

It's funny Michi has never had any problems getting hired no matter where we lived. I had to work on it to finally get the job. The current job she has she was hired first day. It took me months of constant work to actually get mine. Sucks I tells ya!

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #7 of 30 Old 01-21-2016, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_honez View Post
Keep the chin up my man, it will happen. I had trouble back in the day getting this job I have now too. The credit thing sucks balls, it's kept a few out of the S.O. that I know are great people. I can say that if the credit score weighed on my hire back then I probably wouldn't have been hired either. Now it is great but back then not so much.

It's funny Michi has never had any problems getting hired no matter where we lived. I had to work on it to finally get the job. The current job she has she was hired first day. It took me months of constant work to actually get mine. Sucks I tells ya!
Ten years ago I was hired right out of the military for the Fed job that I had. I was on that payroll two months before I was officially out of the Air Force! Was a lot easier then I think.

Anyway, just got to keep plugging away.

post #8 of 30 Old 01-21-2016, 06:46 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

None of that. You're doing something during the interview. I suspect coming off too needy or some kinda awkward presentation. Study how to present and calmly answer questions. Interviewers don't know the answers, in all likelihood, but are looking for a fit, and comparing that mental 'fit' with others either presently or in the past, which means they really want a tame person that will work well with others. They know you can do the job or they wouldn't waste time interviewing. Bottom line is all the above or partially. Remember to get to the fookin point and not go on and on, or something along that framework.

Last edited by scout; 01-21-2016 at 06:49 PM.
post #9 of 30 Old 01-21-2016, 07:15 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
None of that. You're doing something during the interview. I suspect coming off too needy or some kinda awkward presentation. Study how to present and calmly answer questions. Interviewers don't know the answers, in all likelihood, but are looking for a fit, and comparing that mental 'fit' with others either presently or in the past, which means they really want a tame person that will work well with others. They know you can do the job or they wouldn't waste time interviewing. Bottom line is all the above or partially. Remember to get to the fookin point and not go on and on, or something along that framework.
Scout... thank you for the input. However, I gave numerous high level briefings while I was in the military to high ranking officials. I am also a very experienced public speaker. My speaking and interviewing skills are above par. Before I even interview I research well in advance about the company and the position and 99% of the time have an appropriate answer. I'm always in control and cool, calm and collected.
bluedevil and scout like this.

post #10 of 30 Old 01-21-2016, 07:30 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoto73 View Post
Scout... thank you for the input. However, I gave numerous high level briefings while I was in the military to high ranking officials. I am also a very experienced public speaker. My speaking and interviewing skills are above par. Before I even interview I research well in advance about the company and the position and 99% of the time have an appropriate answer. I'm always in control and cool, calm and collected.
Good post Moto .....I would try as suggested using the "Recruiters" they do all the work and you are all ready approved for work including the Credit, your just trying to get in the Door once that happens your in to advance if hired.

bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.