Discouraged and annoyed - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 Old 06-16-2016, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Still nothing on finding a meaningful career. I tried going back to my old job as a federal officer but they said I am to old now. :/ Shit, when did 42 become too old?

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 Old 06-16-2016, 04:43 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Do you have an appropriate skill set that would enable you to become self employed?

I was forced into self employment after being made redundant at 40, stayed that way until I retired at 68

Felt more in control of my life than I ever did working for someone else
ZX10RArcher and MrMoto73 like this.

post #23 of 30 Old 06-16-2016, 01:38 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoto73 View Post
Still nothing on finding a meaningful career. I tried going back to my old job as a federal officer but they said I am to old now. :/ Shit, when did 42 become too old?
What do you mean?!!!? 42 is the new 22!

Keep that chin up bud
ZX10RArcher and MrMoto73 like this.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #24 of 30 Old 06-16-2016, 01:47 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by renais View Post
Do you have an appropriate skill set that would enable you to become self employed?

I was forced into self employment after being made redundant at 40, stayed that way until I retired at 68

Felt more in control of my life than I ever did working for someone else
This^^^

After working for myself for a year, I don't think I could go back to working for someone else. Added bonus is, if you can start up something that you're really good at and it's something you enjoy, then it really isn't "work".
MrMoto73 and belkins like this.

ME Motorsports, Inc. Exclusive North American Distributor of Woolich Racing products. Official MotoGyro Vision , Zeitronix, Brock's Performance, Core Moto and MWR filtration products vendor.
For a special ZX-10R.net discount on Woolich Racing products, please private message me!

|| Facebook || Website || 701.212.1130 || NorthAmerica@WoolichRacing.com ||
post #25 of 30 Old 06-17-2016, 09:57 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Learn a skill or trade, buy a franchise, get a car dealer license, sell real estate, be a tree arborist, etc. Follow the money in your area. Hell, grow weed! LOL
When I quit my last corp job, I partnered with a Hispanic guy who needed a "white guy" to be the face of his roofing & siding business. He has taught me a lot about construction, and I have taught him a lot about Admin. I talk to customers, take calls, write bids, etc and he handles all of the labor. We split our profits. Sure I got lucky meeting the right guy I suppose, but so did he!
I also have been a mechanic for about 15 years. Didn't go to school for it. Started with buying old POS 2-stroke bikes and paying an old guy to help me fix them up and teach me how they worked. Wasn't long after and people were asking me to fix their bikes. Word of mouth has always kept my garage full of bikes to work on. I only charge $50/hr (book) but I can usually make closer to $100/hr on stuff I know how to work on.
Its a lot more rewarding to work in a small business or self-employed environment vs working in corporate cubicle hell. I think any govt job might drive me to insanity as well....
The best advice I can give is that time is our most valuable asset so don't waste it doing things you hate.
MrMoto73 likes this.

A 1st Gen Ten will eat the hearts of grown men.
post #26 of 30 Old 06-17-2016, 10:45 AM
formerly GHOST RIDER

Posting Frequency

[QUOTE= Hell, grow weed! There you go, you legal to do so and I heard business is high (lol) there ... My job here pays the bill and feed the kids. I'm giving it one more try to start up my own business.... again. Keep your head up, keep looking but don't pass up on any other decent job or business venture that may land on your lap.
MrMoto73 likes this.

Never forget who helped you!
Never forgive who fu*ked you.
Doing a trackday is like "SEX", no matter what happens you'll want to hit it again..
post #27 of 30 Old 06-17-2016, 12:26 PM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Biggest thing is don't give up. Finding a new career IS your job right now so get after it and best of luck. Like Honez said, keep your chin up. Companies need employees that add value. That's not easy to find now days.
MrMoto73 likes this.

We all must suffer one of two things: The pain of discipline or the pain of regret.
post #28 of 30 Old 06-17-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Thanks all...

I may have to start my own business again... I did it once. Had a cigar lounge, but I worked close to 70 hours a week and it was hard to find reliable employees. It was good money but I had no time for anything else. Once my graduate degree is done I can start my own consulting business. I'll have the credentials to do so. I think my dream job would be restoring old cars and bikes and I am naturally inclined to be able to work on anything from jet engines to weed wacker motors. I can also do anything when it comes to home renovations.... roofs, tile work, flooring, plumbing, electrical. Since I bought a 1930's brick house last year I pretty much boned up on all those skills... lol.

I think it would be kind of cool to have a motorcycle shop. However there are a couple small ones in town that are barely surviving. Rocky Mountain Cycles is a big dealer in town here and I am amazed they even manage to stay open with how little inventory they carry.

I thought about going into the legal weed thing, but there are just too many hoops to go through and there are places actually getting shut down now. City actually wants to get rid of them all.

Part of me wants to start up a non profit to help veterans, especially after hearing how wounded warrior project didn't really help many veterans at all. They kept like 80 percent on the donations to pay six figure salaries for themselves.

Hopefully I can figure something out before too long.
Johns04ZX10R likes this.

post #29 of 30 Old 12-03-2016, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

So, I am starting a general construction firm called Athena Corp. My father in law and his friend both own construction firms and want me to start one because I am a veteran and can get bids for government contracts easier. They want to work for my company to get the government jobs. Basically I will be a CEO running the business side of things and they do the building side of things. Not exactly what I want to do but once I get my graduate work done I'll also start my consulting company.
SOUN1 and Johns04ZX10R like this.

post #30 of 30 Old 12-03-2016, 08:09 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMoto73 View Post
So, I am starting a general construction firm called Athena Corp. My father in law and his friend both own construction firms and want me to start one because I am a veteran and can get bids for government contracts easier. They want to work for my company to get the government jobs. Basically I will be a CEO running the business side of things and they do the building side of things. Not exactly what I want to do but once I get my graduate work done I'll also start my consulting company.
These will help you get acclimated with government contracting and submitting bids with DoD if interested. It is a hoot!
http://www.acq.osd.mil/osbp/docs/gov...the_basics.pdf
DoD Office of Small Business Programs
MrMoto73 likes this.

2016 ZX10R KRT ABS
2014 Ninja 300 SE
2016 DRZ400SM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.