Discouraged and annoyed - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 30 Old 01-23-2016, 10:08 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Im my field, recruiters and word of mouth are almost the ONLY way people get in the door. Get yourself in touch with a few and get on their lists, and you'll have something in no time.
scout and MrMoto73 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 01-23-2016, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennice View Post
Im my field, recruiters and word of mouth are almost the ONLY way people get in the door. Get yourself in touch with a few and get on their lists, and you'll have something in no time.
Yep.... I just signed up for a veteran mentoring program the other day. Hopefully that helps out.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #13 of 30 Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Know how you feel. I have applied to a certain company umpteen times. Interviewed with them for several different positions. Each time, I come away from the interview confident. The last interview I had was on the phone and it lasted over an hour. Twice during the interview, the guys doing the interview stopped to tell me it was the best answer they had ever heard (for a management position). Felt confident in that interview as well. As usual, I get an email stating they are going with someone that more closely meets their needs. It was for a tool and die construction/tryout supervisor. I have 20+ years doing exactly that. How much more qualified and "close" are they looking for??!! I just keep plugging away. Maybe I will get a job there, maybe I won't. Who knows.

If you're not living on the edge, your taking up too much space!
post #14 of 30 Old 01-25-2016, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach_man_187 View Post
Know how you feel. I have applied to a certain company umpteen times. Interviewed with them for several different positions. Each time, I come away from the interview confident. The last interview I had was on the phone and it lasted over an hour. Twice during the interview, the guys doing the interview stopped to tell me it was the best answer they had ever heard (for a management position). Felt confident in that interview as well. As usual, I get an email stating they are going with someone that more closely meets their needs. It was for a tool and die construction/tryout supervisor. I have 20+ years doing exactly that. How much more qualified and "close" are they looking for??!! I just keep plugging away. Maybe I will get a job there, maybe I won't. Who knows.
I would guess they might of hired someone from the inside. Hard to say. I have also come away from interviews that lasted up to an hour and it feels "right". Then I get that email that says the same thing "We are going with someone that more closely meets our needs". That or I get turned down for the other issues I mentioned.

Today I just got three more denial emails for jobs I applied for. Just a nice kick in the nuts to get my Monday going.
scout likes this.

post #15 of 30 Old 02-03-2016, 08:13 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

MrMoto73,

If you don't mind my asking, what happened to the Fed job that you had before?
I'm retiring in a few months myself. I am actually sitting in the SFL-TAP (Old ACAP) course right now as I type.
Going over resume's and presentation etc.
My head is spinning right now. I'm undecided on what I want to do when I get out, and am literally worrying myself sick about the possibility of not being able to find a decent job.

Have you tried the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration (ETA) and the Veterans' Employment and Training Service.
Just asking..

Gold Card - U.S. Department of Labor -- Veterans' Employment and Training Service -- New Employment Initiatives for Veterans

New Employment Initiatives for Veterans

The Gold Card provides unemployed post-9/11 era veterans with the intensive and follow-up services they need to succeed in today's job market. The Gold Card initiative is a joint effort of the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration (ETA) and the Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS).

Image of Gold Card - Services for post 9/11 era veteransAn eligible veteran can present the Gold Card at his/her local One-Stop Career Center to receive enhanced intensive services including up to six months of follow-up. The enhanced in-person services available for Gold Card holders at local One-Stop Career Centers may include:
##Job readiness assessment, including interviews and testing;
##Development of an Individual Development Plan (IDP);
##Career guidance through group or individual counseling that helps veterans in making training and career decisions;
##Provision of labor market, occupational, and skills transferability information that inform educational, training, and occupational decisions;
##Referral to job banks, job portals, and job openings;
##Referral to employers and registered apprenticeship sponsors;
##Referral to training by WIA-funded or third party service providers; and
##Monthly follow-up by an assigned case manager for up to six months.
MrMoto73 likes this.
post #16 of 30 Old 02-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

A Couple of More Job Boards

Hope something works out, if it hasn't already.

CareerBuilder.com

CareerOneStop.org

CivilianJobs.com

ClearedJobs.net

Dice.com

Indeed.com

Monster.com

TheLadders.com

SimplyHired.com

Snagajob.com

USAjobs.gov

VetJobs.com
MrMoto73 likes this.
post #17 of 30 Old 02-04-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsider View Post
MrMoto73,

If you don't mind my asking, what happened to the Fed job that you had before?
I'm retiring in a few months myself. I am actually sitting in the SFL-TAP (Old ACAP) course right now as I type.
Going over resume's and presentation etc.
My head is spinning right now. I'm undecided on what I want to do when I get out, and am literally worrying myself sick about the possibility of not being able to find a decent job.

Have you tried the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration (ETA) and the Veterans' Employment and Training Service.
Just asking..

Gold Card - U.S. Department of Labor -- Veterans' Employment and Training Service -- New Employment Initiatives for Veterans

New Employment Initiatives for Veterans

The Gold Card provides unemployed post-9/11 era veterans with the intensive and follow-up services they need to succeed in today's job market. The Gold Card initiative is a joint effort of the Department of Labor's Employment and Training Administration (ETA) and the Veterans' Employment and Training Service (VETS).

Image of Gold Card - Services for post 9/11 era veteransAn eligible veteran can present the Gold Card at his/her local One-Stop Career Center to receive enhanced intensive services including up to six months of follow-up. The enhanced in-person services available for Gold Card holders at local One-Stop Career Centers may include:
##Job readiness assessment, including interviews and testing;
##Development of an Individual Development Plan (IDP);
##Career guidance through group or individual counseling that helps veterans in making training and career decisions;
##Provision of labor market, occupational, and skills transferability information that inform educational, training, and occupational decisions;
##Referral to job banks, job portals, and job openings;
##Referral to employers and registered apprenticeship sponsors;
##Referral to training by WIA-funded or third party service providers; and
##Monthly follow-up by an assigned case manager for up to six months.
Thanks for the info and links. I have utilized a lot of those myself....oh and I love Italy. I was stationed at Aviano. Anyway, I think the hardest part about my job search is the location I am in. If I moved to the west coast or east coast I might be better off. However I am working on my graduate program here and recently bought a house.

As for the fed job I had, I resigned and took a contract job overseas that I thought would pan out a lot better. It did not and then I decided to return to school.

Congrats on your retirement and good luck with the job searching.

post #18 of 30 Old 02-04-2016, 02:58 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Claim that you were self-employed during your school time and made some money consulting or doing admin work or something. You are not at liberty to discuss the clients. It wasn't enough money and now you are looking for more. Fill the gaps with BS you can back up and don't worry about it. Tell them what they want to hear. Don't make jokes or smile much. Make yourself look like a good slave.
Headhunters (recruiters) are a great way to get your foot in the door somewhere. I've landed two big corp jobs over the years that way.

A 1st Gen Ten will eat the hearts of grown men.
post #19 of 30 Old 02-04-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns04ZX10R View Post
Claim that you were self-employed during your school time and made some money consulting or doing admin work or something. You are not at liberty to discuss the clients. It wasn't enough money and now you are looking for more. Fill the gaps with BS you can back up and don't worry about it. Tell them what they want to hear. Don't make jokes or smile much. Make yourself look like a good slave.
Headhunters (recruiters) are a great way to get your foot in the door somewhere. I've landed two big corp jobs over the years that way.
Don't know if that's a good idea or not. Two places I applied to did intensive background checks and the background place could not verify a business I owned or the consulting job I had. Because of that they wouldn't hire me. If I can't prove my work history on legitimate work I don't think making up jobs is going to help. Can't believe how in depth companies are digging these days. Hell, just the list of responsibilities on some of the jobs disqualifies most people unless you can prove you are qualified in all of them. There was a state job that listed looking for an electrical technician. Easy stuff for me. Did electrical troubleshooting and repair on million dollar aircraft, communications and weapons systems for 12 years.They did not even consider me because I didn't list any experience working on traffic lights. Fucking retarded.
Johns04ZX10R likes this.

post #20 of 30 Old 02-04-2016, 09:57 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I will repeat, tell them what they want to hear. You did work on traffic lights in the military, but they are prob different than civilian...LOL

A 1st Gen Ten will eat the hearts of grown men.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.