Anyone heard from Skydork? - Page 14 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 157Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #131 of 139 Old 04-12-2017, 10:35 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

...Ya know, i hear Scout is pretty good at things like figure 8's, roundies and things like that. Maybe he could give you some pointers??

..Feel free to tell me to just
scout likes this.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

"I'll smoke it with ya bro, we'll go to the looney bin together!"

"Strong Men Also Cry"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 139 Old 04-14-2017, 01:21 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Did the zx-6 have a dampner?

Glad to hear your healing up quickly!
evilaugust likes this.

post #133 of 139 Old 04-14-2017, 04:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Hey Scout, I'm still around. This thread has made some serious turns and twitches it seems though since it started. Crazy. Whoa!

Vader? Nah, more like Steve Austin - the Six Million Dollar Man!

So, I'll give you guys the short and dirty version of what happened. I was in an accident. It's bad, but not what you think. It wasn't on the ZX-10 and it didn't involve any other cars. That's the good part!

Short version: back in November of last year, I acquired a used 2011 Kawasaki ZX-6R as a track only bike. The intent was to use it as a trackday machine and possibly get into some actual races come the 2017 season. Woohoo! It was largely set up as a track-only ride when I got it. But it still needed some clean up and going through to make sure it is up to the challenge.

Since I got it in November, I did the following things to it:
- wheel removal and painting
- tire replacement (to Dunlop GPA211s)
- wheel bearing replacement
- clutch lever replacement
- clutch lever adjustment
- brake caliper bleed and adjustment
- air filter cleaning
- tail section replacement
- fuel tank strip and paint with fuel filter reinstallation
- Ohlins rear shock re-spring and checkout
- Power commander and ignition module relocation and checkout
- footpeg replacement and shift lever checkout
- throttle cable lubrication and adjustment

I was working on it sporadically on weekends and here and there and getting parts and stuff along the way. Took longer than I thought, but I bought my Gen 5 in the middle of that too. So, with everything that I've been checking and working on, I finally got it back to working late January to the point it was rideable again.

I live in a planned community with 1500 homes in it. The main access road is 2 miles long and the neighborhoods are cordened off into there on areas off of the main access road. The morning of January 28th, I got the bike out to wash it to clean it up and check it out. Posted speed limits for the enter access road is 35mph with 2 lanes in each direction. I designed since it was ready to go, I needed to make sure it still ran OK. I through a leg over and rode it from my driveway to a roundabout 0.75 miles from my house and then back to the house. The point of the ride was just to evaluate and make sure that the bike motor runs. Since there's no traffic with good asphalt where I was riding, I figured it was the best place to just ride it at slow speeds and see how it sounds with the motor running.

It turned out to be a fateful decision on my part. Because I wanted to listen to the engine, suspension, exhaust, and brakes as I was riding it, I did not wear my trusty helmet. Top speed that I achieved while I was out riding was a whopping 25mph in second gear. At some point going around the roundabout area, I became dislodged from the bike and I wound up on the ground. In doing so, I hit my head and broke the left clavicle in 2 spots in my shoulder. Accident speed was somewhere in the 15mph to 20mph zone as that is the speed to go around the roundabout. I really wish I could tell you what actually happened.

In hitting my head on the ground, I cracked my skull. This caused a brain injury. I was airlifted to the trauma hospital where i was kept chemically sedated for 12 days on a respirator machine with 2 sensors screwed to my skull to monitor brain activity. After that 2 weeks I was moved to another hospital for recovery. I do not remember anything from the accident until I got to the second hospital and the drugs got out of my system. I've been in therapy since then and it all sounds worse than it is. I've got no issues other than some sensitivity on my head currently. I haven't been on a bike since that day unfortunately and I can't wear a helmet right now because of the head sensitivity. But there's no real issues long-term. The list of stuff from the doctors that I can't do is much longer than the stuff I actually am ready for. So I'll start back to work this week, start driving a car again, graduate from rehab by next week, and be back on a bike at some point in the near future as well. But that's really the reason I've been away from the site so much recently. Sorry about that!

Please wear your helmet - NO MATTER WHAT!!!
Jesus thats terrible.
Have you any idea why you came off?
I had an accident once of which i never found the cause and its frustrating.
Glad your on the mend.
Ps i always wear my helmet without fail coz accidents happen when you least expect them
post #134 of 139 Old 04-14-2017, 05:51 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtradamus View Post
Grammer Nazi lol, evileaugust,.....define what exactly i stated that you could not comprehend or deduce in this 21st Century World of social media, acronyms, common day texting etc.....Are you still using a rotary phone, caller id, and dial up connection ?? There is a "gubment welfare program" that I Pay Into that can help you with that. Please, let me know What you didn't comprehend?
Boxtradamus and evilaugust like this.
post #135 of 139 Old 04-15-2017, 08:35 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Skydork I am glad to hear you are still alive and kickin buddy!

Gotta agree with scout on this one, your wife is gonna be all over you every time you throw a leg over any bike now. Hell you wont be able to get on a bicycle i am sure without a 21 point safety inspection. Sadly it can take 1 split second decision to turn your whole life around before you realize it, Hindsight is 20/20 as they say. Keep on getting better bud and I am sure you will be giving me pointers on how to repair/work on my bike in no time

Best wishes for you and your family!

The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know.
post #136 of 139 Old 04-15-2017, 09:21 PM
Judge Dredd Mod

Posting Frequency

First I'm glad you made it out ok considering the circumstances. Head trauma is a major injury especially a cracked skull. Glad you are recovering well, and in good spirits. Scout and Duhastme are correct, the wife may want you to give up the bikes. I know that all too well. Take care of yourself- I have never met you Skydork, but someday I really want to. You to me are one of those special people that I'd like the pleasure of meeting one day. I meet lots of people every day in my job, but few are worth waiting a minute extra for- listening to.

I believe you are one of those people.

..and out of all the dorks in the world, there is only one SkyDork. My favorite dork.

Sorry for all the sap. Long day.

Boxtradamus and Duhastme like this.

BURNOUT.....
Attitudes are contagious. Mine might kill you.
post #137 of 139 Old 04-19-2017, 01:54 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Sky, and new updates from doctors? This recovery may take a ton of time. On the other hand, tech guys have a backdoor to recovery...the science of the machine, etc.

We're fragile, no question. Snub a toe and that brings reality of pain into the mind in a nano flash.

Last edited by scout; 04-19-2017 at 02:00 PM.
post #138 of 139 Old 04-20-2017, 08:49 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

@ Scout - From Sky Dork the Grey to Sky Dork the White!!!

scout and Boxtradamus like this.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

"I'll smoke it with ya bro, we'll go to the looney bin together!"

"Strong Men Also Cry"
post #139 of 139 Old 04-20-2017, 09:31 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Lmao Cap thats hilarious!

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.