anyone good with bicycles?? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 06-26-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

anyone good with bicycles??

i have a specialzed FSR that my dad gave me.. i forget when we bought it, 98? its still like new except for the fact i snapped the chain...

what i wanna know is how the hell do i find a chain for it? i cant seem to find anywhere online.. id RATHER NOT go to a bicycle shop..

any ideas?? i dont even know how to order them.. i see alot saying "for 8 speed" well the bikes like a 24 speed so im guessing the "8 speed" they measure by the gears on the back??

arghhhhhhhhh help!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-26-2011, 08:22 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

look for markings on the chain itself and count the links of the snapped chain
post #3 of 8 Old 06-26-2011, 11:53 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Find the answers to these questions and hit up Jensonusa.com.

1) How many cogs on the back cassette? Thats the speed chain you need
2) What brand shifters and such are on the bike...shimano or sram etc...I would buy a chain of the same brand
3) For length you want to put it on the largest rear and front cog at the same time and still be able to shift without killing your rear deraillur, usually if your in these gears and the rear deraillur is at 45 degrees from the ground you have the perfect length..cut it there and pin it back together

Done!!

2004 ZX10r Black with Carbon Termignoni slip on and more mods to come
2005 Suzuki Boulavard (to many mods to list) Sold
2005 Kawasaki ZZR600 Sold
2001 Suz9ki DRZ400s to SuMo conversion Raced with the OSB (Oklahoma Super Bikers) #120 Sponsored by Quiznos of Yukon and Advanced Signs of Edmond Sold:headshake
post #4 of 8 Old 06-27-2011, 01:38 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by moose07 View Post
find the answers to these questions and hit up jensonusa.com.

1) how many cogs on the back cassette? Thats the speed chain you need
2) what brand shifters and such are on the bike...shimano or sram etc...i would buy a chain of the same brand
3) for length you want to put it on the largest rear and front cog at the same time and still be able to shift without killing your rear deraillur, usually if your in these gears and the rear deraillur is at 45 degrees from the ground you have the perfect length..cut it there and pin it back together

done!!

Have a wheelie nice day!

Winter sucks.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-28-2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

2) What brand shifters and such are on the bike...shimano or sram etc...I would buy a chain of the same brand
3) For length you want to put it on the largest rear and front cog at the same time and still be able to shift without killing your rear deraillur, usually if your in these gears and the rear deraillur is at 45 degrees from the ground you have the perfect length..cut it there and pin it back together

Done!!

thanks brother! not sure how i snapped another chain! bicycle shop did it last time.. was when dad owned it..i pedaled it really hard and snapped it.. i can leg press close to 900 pounds, so that prob was why haha..

8 cogs on the back, shimano shifters and deraillurs
post #6 of 8 Old 06-28-2011, 09:49 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You can also try Performance Bike and Bike Nashbar for online bike parts.

Mark
post #7 of 8 Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Done!!
thanks for the site bro, rep sent !! they seemed to be cheap priced! chain was like $8 less than on ebay!

went with a Shimano HG-70 Hyperglide Chain hope its a good one!
post #8 of 8 Old 06-29-2011, 05:43 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantesOnA10 View Post
i have a specialzed FSR that my dad gave me.. i forget when we bought it, 98? its still like new except for the fact i snapped the chain...

what i wanna know is how the hell do i find a chain for it? i cant seem to find anywhere online.. id RATHER NOT go to a bicycle shop..

any ideas?? i dont even know how to order them.. i see alot saying "for 8 speed" well the bikes like a 24 speed so im guessing the "8 speed" they measure by the gears on the back??

arghhhhhhhhh help!~
If you bought it at a specialized retailer you should have a lifetime warranty on it. If you take it to them they should do the work for free and recommend a good chain. I have a specialized elite. I bought it about a year ago and that's what they told me. I would check with them for future reference to see if you have a warranty. good luck

'11 Black zx-10r | Tech-spec Tank pad | Akraprovic w/ link | Power Commander V | Auto tune | HID | 1/5 Insert | Driven Smog Plates | DMP integrated tail light | Vortex rear sets w/ new pressure switch | Puig dark smoke windscreen | BMC Air Filter | Cox Radiator Guard |

To Do List:
ECU reflash
Steering Damper revalved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.