LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 48 Old 01-24-2017, 09:20 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes, having collision is crazy on a bike. I never carried collision on a bike
in over 40 years.

I hunt and quote out insurance all the time and have yet to find a better
price then Progressive.

State Farm used to be good because the only went by cc not model.
State MC coverage was bought out last year and MC prices went to the moon.

My 10 I made track only. No insurance needed.

My ZX14 is $365 a year with Progressive and includes comprehensive, Fire, Theft, Damage, Roadside, and 250/500 liability. No collision. Adding Collision would be $1000 more per year.

I also just quoted a H2 with progressive $865 (no collision) a year and $3000 a year with collision.

Drop Collision off your quote and save a ton.

Yes, if you have a loan/lease you have to have collision...... So just don't buy a bike you can't afford or pay cash for.
scout, Spoke and MrMoto73 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 01-24-2017, 09:37 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

make sure and ask your insurance company what that price of "comprehension" insurance actually covers. Years ago those sneaky bastards created something called 'collision insurance' and full and/or comprehensive doesn't typically cover your own car/bike if YOU own in. TONS of people are cruising around with comprehensive insurance assuming that their car/bike is covered even if they are at fault, but that's often not always the case

1990 CR 125 - blow'd up
2005 SV1000s - sold
2012 ZX-10R - w/go fast stickers
post #13 of 48 Old 01-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
yea insurance hurts my soul... cheapest i could find for full coverage in MI was 185 a month with statefarm. seemed like a godsend when every other place was like 500 a month.
post #14 of 48 Old 01-24-2017, 11:30 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Wow! I'm in shock over what you guys are paying! In Vancouver, Canada, if you have a sparkling driving record you can get 100% full coverage (collision, theft, fire etc...everything even including track days) for about $1300 Canadian$. That's about $1000 in your yankee dollars.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone S20/T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, Showa BFRC Lite w/ ukzx10r's plates, GP shift, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, set up by RMR Suspensions, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modified OEM sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 40,000km+ and going strong!
post #15 of 48 Old 01-24-2017, 12:46 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
Wow! I'm in shock over what you guys are paying! In Vancouver, Canada, if you have a sparkling driving record you can get 100% full coverage (collision, theft, fire etc...everything even including track days) for about $1300 Canadian$. That's about $1000 in your yankee dollars.
That's because your riding season is only like 2 weeks a year up there!

Joking, but I do remember though reading/discussing how many days average
a typical motorcycle rider rides his bike. It's something crazy only like 10-14 and up to 30 days a year. A couple of weekend rides during the warmer months of the year and that's about it.

There's no one around here like that, but just saying they make some good money on bikes.
jr0065 likes this.
post #16 of 48 Old 01-24-2017, 05:38 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms-Up View Post

a typical motorcycle rider rides his bike. It's something crazy only like 10-14 and up to 30 days a year. A couple of weekend rides during the warmer months of the year and that's about it.

There's no one around here like that, but just saying they make some good money on bikes.
Not in Vancouver its pretty damn good there weather wise, you could safely ride most months of the year. Its not Arizona but its pretty good. However, you go to other places in Canada and you are right. We get 5-6 months here of good weather with 6-7 months of stuff you probably don't wanna ride in or cant. If you ride friday\sat\sun that is 12 days a month give or take a few * say 6 months = 72 days however 24 of them are Friday's.

72 days total (24 total weekends including friday's) - 25 percent of them for rain = 54 days (18 weekends)

54 days - 3-5 weddings that make it so you are not riding sat or sunday (lets go with 4, 8 days total) = 46

46 days - 2 weekends worth of random "I'm not riding today, days" = 40 days

40 days - 4 weekends of random shit you wanna do, like the lake, do something other ran ride a bike that weekend including vacation = 28

28 days including friday's after work. Take out fridays and its 19 days. Id say my math is being pretty damn reasonable and more realistically a few more weekends should probably be knocked off, so your 10-14 days a year as crazy as it sounds seems average id bet.

Full coverage for a zx10r here in Manitoba is about 3000-3400 depending on a few minor things. If you take off comprehensive you save another 300ish or so. However, if you take pleasure only (that means no really riding to work) its down to 1900 a year. We only get charged for the 6 months we can ride, so yes they want to charge me 500 or whatever a month.
post #17 of 48 Old 01-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms-Up View Post

You're not too far off the mark! We get a lot of rain for sure and as a result there are a lot of garage queens in my area. Many of the bikes on craigslist are loooow mileage and you can see these bikes when you attend the sportbike meets. So many older bikes that look fairly showroom fresh. My bike is such a turd by comparison! I ride it rain or shine 150-200 times a year and it's a dirty, dirty whore that gets ridden hard and put away wet. Anyhow, I derailed this thread and took it all the way up to Canada. My bad!

2013 ABS, Bridgestone S20/T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, Showa BFRC Lite w/ ukzx10r's plates, GP shift, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, set up by RMR Suspensions, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modified OEM sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 40,000km+ and going strong!
post #18 of 48 Old 01-24-2017, 08:07 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I think age, bundling policies, good record all play a role. I have State Farm for all our vehicles & home owners. Full coverage on everything, 30 a month for my KLR and 60 a month for the ZX10.
post #19 of 48 Old 01-25-2017, 08:43 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3r3ds0x View Post
I think age, bundling policies, good record all play a role. I have State Farm for all our vehicles & home owners. Full coverage on everything, 30 a month for my KLR and 60 a month for the ZX10.
I used to think those variables played a role. My experience has been the opposite. Every year, insurance has been getting more expensive including my auto policies. For example, every bike I've owned tends to be about 5 years old. At age 19, my insurance was half of what it is now, same coverage, same sized bikes, same location. You'd think at that age insurance would be expensive, nope $180/yr for comp. We're told sportbike sales have plummeted in recent years. Remember when models were refreshed every 2 yrs? You'd think less riders, less claims, less payouts and rates would be adjusted accordingly. Either, what little riders are left are making purportionally more claims, or high premiums for powersports policies are being used to supplement negative returns in other categories. Either way, I'm paying more than double what I used to..
MrMoto73 likes this.
post #20 of 48 Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

very informative. State Farm no longer works for us. At this time Geico works full for two cages and liability for the moto which is around 175 a year, off top of memory. Health insurance here is messed up here cause of Obama's love affair with corps so that's where I'm feeling it as caught between the gov corps and the wife. you guys won't believe what I'm paying for total health insurance RICCO rip off. And I never go to the doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.