Gen 5: 2016 -> Zx6r not doing it for me... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 10-15-2017, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Zx6r not doing it for me...

So, long story short, I'm just not happy with my 2016 ZX6R. I bought it brand new last month with insurance money provided to me to replace my brand new, leftover 2014 ZX10R which got totaled on its maiden voyage back from the dealership. I originally was going to go with a ZX6R to replace my aging 2002 YZF600R, but test rode a few older 2008-09 ZX10R's and fell in love with the comfort and power. Found a fantastic deal on a leftover 2014 ZX10R which I bought back in July and loved it during the short 2 hour ride/time I owned it before fate had other ideas.

Don't get me wrong, the 2016 ZX6R is a fantastic bike, but my main issues are as follows.

1. My balls keep slamming into the tank when hitting bumps or when slowing down abruptly or letting off the gas abruptly. Didn't experience this on the ZX10Rs I test rode or the 2014 model I briefly owned.

2. I know it's a 600 (pardon me, 636), but I'm just not happy the extra shifting involved to get up to speed and then the high revs when cruising in the 70-90 mph zone.

3. Getting quite annoyed with the twitchy fueling when rolling on/off the throttle. Didn't experience this at all with any of the ZX10Rs I rode. From what I gather an ECU flash can help or fix this issue, but if I'm not happy with other aspects of the bike, I don't want to go down that money road unless I'm planning on keeping the bike for years to come.

4. The reach to the bars on the 2016 ZX6R seem a lot further than on my 2014 ZX10R which tires me out sooner and the ZX10R seemed quite plush in terms of absorbing the bumps on the streets and highways.

So, I'm thinking of trading in the 2016 ZX6R for a 2016 ZX10R or possibly a used 2008 GSXR 750 which I test rode at my local dealership the other day and loved. I've owned two GSXR 750s before (2004 and 2007), but the 2008 one I test rode seemed to have a lot more low end power/torque. It is also light years ahead in terms of comfort for my body type and on the hour-long test drive I did it handled the crappy bumps on the roads I have to contend with on a daily basis almost as well as my ZRX1200R. On the ZX6R my ass is flying out of the seat or my balls are slamming into the tank over the same bumps.

Obviously this is not a Suzuki or GSXR forum so I don't expect any feedback on the GSXR, but compared to the gen 4 ZX10R, would the gen 5 ZX10R be less of a reach to the bars and would it absorb the real-world road bumps as well or better than the gen 4?

I've read that the fueling can be a bit sensitive/abrupt in terms of on/off throttle applications and that one quick remedy is setting the engine braking to the low mode to help alleviate this. Is this true and how much does it alleviate it? Would an ECU flash also smooth out the on/off throttle abruptness and if so what kind of cost would one be looking at to accomplish this?

Feedback appreciated. Thanks! My former 2014 (pre-crash) ZX10R picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-zx10r.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	578.2 KB
ID:	405505  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 10-16-2017, 03:25 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

600's suck for the street. I tried to tell you that in your other threads. Make it a track bike and buy an upright 1000cc for the street (z1000 for instance).

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #3 of 46 Old 10-16-2017, 09:10 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

IMO Gen 5 has a shorter reach than gen 4

More cowbell

post #4 of 46 Old 10-16-2017, 09:16 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I kinda knew this would happen....

Trade in for a used Gen 5 ZX10R...Or if you want something more upright a Z1000SX or Ninja 1000.

No point keeping a bike you're not happy with.
post #5 of 46 Old 10-16-2017, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
I kinda knew this would happen....

Trade in for a used Gen 5 ZX10R...Or if you want something more upright a Z1000SX or Ninja 1000.

No point keeping a bike you're not happy with.
Thanks for the response 10Arghh.

Owned a 2012 Ninja 1000 a few years ago and didn't like the harsh suspension or abrupt on/off throttle character, even after getting an ECU flash by Ivan himself up at Ivan's Performance in Rockland County New York. My ZRX1200R is filling my upright bike needs fine. I just want a true sportbike that I can live with on the streets. Funny how the GSXR and the gen 3 and gen 4 ZX10Rs I've ridden are so much more street friendly and smooth in on/off throttle applications than the 2012 Ninja 1000 I had.
post #6 of 46 Old 10-16-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
600's suck for the street. I tried to tell you that in your other threads. Make it a track bike and buy an upright 1000cc for the street (z1000 for instance).
Yes, obijack, you did try to tell me and I thought, well, since I was happy enough with my YZF600R, I should be fine with the ZX6R, but the YZF600R has a completely different engine character which revs much lower at higher rpms, is carbureted and of course the suspension is quite soft so it absorbs bumps almost as well as a Goldwing...

I don't see myself doing track riding or at least not enough to justify owning a dedicated track bike. I already have an upright bike, my ZRX1200R, to meet those needs. Just want a full on sportbike I can live with on the streets. Again, the GSXRs and ZX10Rs I've owned/ridden seem so much more comfy and smooth in on/off throttle applications than this ZX6R. Just curious to know how the gen 5 ZX10R is sine I've never gotten a chance to ride it.
post #7 of 46 Old 10-16-2017, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1000 View Post
IMO Gen 5 has a shorter reach than gen 4
Thanks turtle1000 for the response. Well, shorter reach is a good thing for my taste. Do you own a gen 5?
post #8 of 46 Old 10-17-2017, 12:10 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

if you want something comfy but fast get one of these

https://www.bikesales.com.au/editori...s1000f-106610/
post #9 of 46 Old 10-17-2017, 09:56 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbnyc View Post
Thanks for the response 10Arghh.

Owned a 2012 Ninja 1000 a few years ago and didn't like the harsh suspension or abrupt on/off throttle character, even after getting an ECU flash by Ivan himself up at Ivan's Performance in Rockland County New York. My ZRX1200R is filling my upright bike needs fine. I just want a true sportbike that I can live with on the streets. Funny how the GSXR and the gen 3 and gen 4 ZX10Rs I've ridden are so much more street friendly and smooth in on/off throttle applications than the 2012 Ninja 1000 I had.
You want a true sport bike, but also a soft suspension and smooth throttle? I am not sure what bike you are wanting us to tell you about, but honestly it sounds like you have your mind made up but trying to justify it with nonsense.

Do what you want, get what you want, and be done with it!
post #10 of 46 Old 10-17-2017, 01:02 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbnyc View Post
Thanks turtle1000 for the response. Well, shorter reach is a good thing for my taste. Do you own a gen 5?
Yeah I own both gen 4 and gen 5 but my buddy has the gen 4 so I can’t just hop back and forth but if my memory serves correct it’s quite a bit further reach on gen 4. Also the rear sets are higher on gen 5 and aren’t adjustable. I’m 6’1” and if you’re much taller I’d recommend aftermarket rear sets. IMO the suspension is the bikes best feature the front end is great and provides a much better ride over bumps which there are plenty of near me. To me there isn’t anything the gen 4 does better than the 5 stock. Maybe stock fueling is smoother on 4 but that’s about it. Engine braking set to low helps so does flash. Flashes are cheap. Keep in mind the gen 4 is probly one of the smoothest FI bikes there ever was so its a high bar

More cowbell

Last edited by turtle1000; 10-17-2017 at 01:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.