Gen 5: 2016 -> Zx6r not doing it for me... - Page 5 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 48 Old 11-08-2017, 09:46 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thats how ive done it for years.
I keep a cheapo notebook with info in it like torque #'s, different mileages and pages of suspension adjustments. I Star* or highlight in some way the ones that feel good or the direction that feels good and keep going in that direction until it doesnt feel good and go back one. Do one adjustment at a time too like either rebound or comp or spring but dont mix em up until you really get a feel for what you're doing. At first it took me a while to learn what i was feeling and how to feel it and it was frustrating the first couple years. But after riding, adjusting in small amounts and repeating, about the 2nd or 3rd year it really started to click with me, ya that long lol. Now i feel im at a place where i can make adjustments with confidence knowing about what effect it should produce and have gotten to where its at least something i can work with on the street until i can get better suspension parts. Im not saying im a expert by any means - far from it, this is just how i do it.

Although i will say its an ongoing thing, i still tweak it here and there and try to fiddle with it to see if i can get it better but with stock suspensions its usually a pretty fine line. If i screw it up and it gets out of whack, i go back to my Star'ed* settings i liked that i have written down. And if you change tires or psi you may need or want a small adjustment.

I always try to shoot for a balance between what the back and front are doing. Dont want em fighting with each other. If the back rebounds fast i try to match the front with it. I like the rebound to be pretty fast with nice compression and i use a zip tie or whatever on a fork to see how much comp im getting and i adjust so at the hardest bump in my ride i still have and inch or so left on the fork for any emergency dive/bottom out. Its not easy to do on your own but i usually push down on the rear somehow and the front to note how fast the rebound seems - you get a better idea once you ride though.

I really wish more people wouldnt be so afraid to mess with their suspension, it can be fun and you can dial yourself in to different rides or road conditions if you know what you're doing well enough. Also ive found that there's a fine line on the adjusters too. For example i like a lot of compression but there's only a small area of adjustment where i can get what i want but if i go too far either way, and its not much, it either gets super hard or so wacky soft it feels unstable. Dont go far, just a click or millimeter or quarter turn, whatever.

You might even try to find a tire that will absorb the bumps a little better... see? There are little tricks to try yet. Sorry for the book.
NinjaLife likes this.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 48 Old 11-08-2017, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
As obijack mentioned, 2wdw provides mail in flash options. you tell em what mods you have, they put the flash in for those mods. each flash is developed on the dyno with each mod, so it's a match to your bike

edit: they should be running a black friday sale soon around $300 or less for the flash FYI

and after reading your last post, the suspension issue, that's a tricky one since your street surfaces are less than ideal, you'll wanna soften up the suspension a few clicks. basically, get a piece of paper, and write down your current settings. to do that, you take a screwdriver/socket whatever adjustability you have and screw it all the way in, counting exactly how many full turns it takes to bottom out, if it goes down and is only a 1/2 or 3/4 turn, you write that down. then, count out all the turns to fully out. now you know your range, and where you were. so, set it back to where it was, then turn it out, lets say 2 times. write it down. now, go ride, write down comments about its changes. good/bad whatever, then adjust some more. be sure to write it down.

if that all sounds like too much, then just start with "turned out compression 2 full turns" instead. you won't know your starting point, but if you write down each change you make, you can at least get back to where you were if it's worse.

your sag/rebound settings are easiest to be done by a suspension tuner, its usually $30 or so, takes 5 minutes, and is just easier than doing it yourself since you'll need a buddy there to help you. however if the shop says its set for you, either take em at their word, or spend the coupla bucks making sure it's set properly. i know seasons bad for it but if you ever go to a trackday, there's almost always a suspension tuner there who knocks out setups like that cheaply.
Great advice on the suspension tweaks. Thanks! On the subject of the ECU flash, is the cost of the ECU flash any more expensive if it is a ZX10R and does the gen version matter? Just curious.
post #43 of 48 Old 11-08-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thats how ive done it for years.
I keep a cheapo notebook with info in it like torque #'s, different mileages and pages of suspension adjustments. I Star* or highlight in some way the ones that feel good or the direction that feels good and keep going in that direction until it doesnt feel good and go back one. Do one adjustment at a time too like either rebound or comp or spring but dont mix em up until you really get a feel for what you're doing. At first it took me a while to learn what i was feeling and how to feel it and it was frustrating the first couple years. But after riding, adjusting in small amounts and repeating, about the 2nd or 3rd year it really started to click with me, ya that long lol. Now i feel im at a place where i can make adjustments with confidence knowing about what effect it should produce and have gotten to where its at least something i can work with on the street until i can get better suspension parts. Im not saying im a expert by any means - far from it, this is just how i do it.

Although i will say its an ongoing thing, i still tweak it here and there and try to fiddle with it to see if i can get it better but with stock suspensions its usually a pretty fine line. If i screw it up and it gets out of whack, i go back to my Star'ed* settings i liked that i have written down. And if you change tires or psi you may need or want a small adjustment.

I always try to shoot for a balance between what the back and front are doing. Dont want em fighting with each other. If the back rebounds fast i try to match the front with it. I like the rebound to be pretty fast with nice compression and i use a zip tie or whatever on a fork to see how much comp im getting and i adjust so at the hardest bump in my ride i still have and inch or so left on the fork for any emergency dive/bottom out. Its not easy to do on your own but i usually push down on the rear somehow and the front to note how fast the rebound seems - you get a better idea once you ride though.

I really wish more people wouldnt be so afraid to mess with their suspension, it can be fun and you can dial yourself in to different rides or road conditions if you know what you're doing well enough. Also ive found that there's a fine line on the adjusters too. For example i like a lot of compression but there's only a small area of adjustment where i can get what i want but if i go too far either way, and its not much, it either gets super hard or so wacky soft it feels unstable. Dont go far, just a click or millimeter or quarter turn, whatever.

You might even try to find a tire that will absorb the bumps a little better... see? There are little tricks to try yet. Sorry for the book.
More great advice and feedback on suspension. Thanks!

post #44 of 48 Old 11-08-2017, 02:50 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbnyc View Post
Great advice on the suspension tweaks. Thanks! On the subject of the ECU flash, is the cost of the ECU flash any more expensive if it is a ZX10R and does the gen version matter? Just curious.
Cost is same for whatever gen ZX6R or ZX10R, doesn't change on those models or by year.
cmbnyc likes this.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #45 of 48 Old 11-08-2017, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

So yesterday I went to a dealer (not my usual one) not too far away that had a 2016 ZX10R, 2017 Z900 and my own 2016 ZX6R.

For the hell of it I sat on all three bikes a few times in a specific order, Z900 > ZX10R > ZX6R rinse and repeat. The salesperson held the bikes upright for me so I could get a more realistic idea of how they felt as opposed to sitting on them on the kickstand.

The Z900 felt super comfy and looked pretty mean, but the lack of any real wind protection might bother me especially since I ride through the cold NYC winters when the road conditions are reasonably safe.

The ZX6R felt like my current bike. Duh! So that was no surprise.

The ZX10R actually felt more comfortable than the ZX6R in terms of the reach to the bars and how my legs wrapped around the tank. The seat height is higher and the pegs may actually be higher so in a way I was more in a bunched up seating position than on my ZX6R, but it just felt more comfortable and I didn't feel like I was hunched over as much or angled downward toward the tank.

Go figure.

I've still got a great deal on a leftover 2016 ZX10R with either ABS or non-ABS in black about 2.5 hours away and just confirmed with one of my friends that he can go take me up using his large van to get the ZX10R and trade in the ZX6R if I choose do it.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Last edited by cmbnyc; 11-08-2017 at 02:51 PM. Reason: spelling issue LOL
post #46 of 48 Old 11-08-2017, 07:15 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Adjusting Motorcycle Suspension

Give this a read, it's actually a pretty good article on beginner suspension tweaking, explanations and how to's.
cmbnyc likes this.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #47 of 48 Old 11-19-2017, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
Adjusting Motorcycle Suspension

Give this a read, it's actually a pretty good article on beginner suspension tweaking, explanations and how to's.
Thanks nakedinseattle :)
post #48 of 48 Old 11-19-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Are there any reasonably priced, quality rearsets out there for the 2016 ZX10R that would lower the pegs a bit for more legroom comfort? When I sat on the 2016 model in a local showroom, I didn't mind the higher seat so much compared to the gen 4, but the pegs felt too high for longer rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.