Gen 5: 2016 -> Zx6r not doing it for me... - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 48 Old 11-02-2017, 06:24 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

My 14 10r has and, tbh I never notice it really. Front wheel I've never experienced it but rear wheel will stutter up... for a seasoned rider it's a minor benefit but for a newby it can be a big one.

If possible just go with the abs... insurance loves it and it can potentially save you money in the long run

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
cmbnyc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 11-02-2017, 12:03 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Jeez man, picky picky. I think you're so picky you cant decide what you want most out of a bike lol. Gotta be super comfy, but also a sportbike, dont wanna shift a lot, short reach, probly want some risers, etc...

Man, what ever happened to getting a new to you bike and just growing with it or getting used to the new bike? You'll get used to a new reach, id think. Or maybe not and that will be the only thing you'll focus on when riding? The reach on my first year 636 is extreme and yea the angle is rough too so itll smack your balls if not careful. Ive learned ways to not let this happen but then i tend to use a lot of my legs and feet when i ride too. Ive also had a surgery on each shoulder and the reach doesnt bother me unless i do a 300 mile day. She's rough around the edges and thats putting it lightly but i wouldnt have it any other way, the bike has taught me a lot about riding.

And as far as ABS, people can say what they want about this statement but - i try to always have An Out and try to never put myself in a situation where i cant control the braking.
Its a purely Zen moment when you can slam down gears while also modulating the front with the rear to not only stop the bike in time but do it without losing traction or upsetting the bike.
Call me a pussy but i try to never ride in the rain too which is where id think youd need it most. Rode in a toad strangler over the summer and it would have given me some nice peace of mind but luckily i didnt need it that day and there was even hail lol so..
I can understand how ABS can save yer ass, i really do get it, im not that dense but i just feel like if you're using it that much on the street maybe you are either riding too hard or need to think about your style/body position, stuff like that. Heck i cant even remember the last time i locked up the rear.

Also, i ride my 636 just fine on the street, it rocks in fact. At least for me. I think saying 600's suck for the street is a pretty generalized statement since they work well for some people. If that were the case - they suck - we'd be on a ZX300, ZZR, ZRX or Z1 forum. Yea you gotta shift but you can short shift to a gear and cruise, i do it all the time and always have plenty of pep to pass any car i come across. I guess if you dont wanna shift just rip yer clutch lever off and lose some weight. Or, Honda makes some POS that is automatic if i remember correctly. Gonna try to disagree as politely as i can on that one and leave it at that.

I didnt even wanna reply because it seems futile in this thread but i had a few min's this morning so whatever.

@ ZX10Arghh, gotta agree i hate the angular look of many bikes these days save for the KTM bikes. Thats why i love my GenII fat girl so much, not hardly a hard line on the bike, all curved lines. And yea i too love the look of Yamaha bikes.
cmbnyc likes this.

*Official winner of one Riflemans 1/5 insert

Every fortress falls, it is not the end. It aint if you fall, its how you rise that says who you really are.
- QOTSA

"if you want to be told today to fk off let me no I can help"
- Peter
post #33 of 48 Old 11-03-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Just curious. Anyone on here have the new Z900? I was looking at that bike a while back, but was worried about wind buffeting issues at highways speeds. Perhaps a good aftermarket flyscreen could help with the buffeting.

post #34 of 48 Old 11-04-2017, 07:16 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Go look at puig windscreens for the naked 1000’s. They wind tunnel test their screens and supply a document that shows what percentage the screen cuts down on wind pressure and where it does in relation to the riders body parts. Honesty, unless you are riding 100 miles each way you will be fine on a highway. Just wear a quality helmet.

That being said the z900 is a beautiful bike. But it is down on power in its class.
cmbnyc likes this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #35 of 48 Old 11-04-2017, 04:39 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

A little wind screen on a naked majorly helps. I know the screen on the Tuono helps quite a bit. My friend has a Triumph Street Triple R that he added a fly screen to and he said it really helped with the wind too. Thats all it takes. Tuono on the Freeway feels just about like the Gen 1 10R does.
cmbnyc likes this.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #36 of 48 Old 11-05-2017, 08:51 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

aright so basic canned response cuz i didnt read everyones response but, trick to that bike is, install 2009 zx6r velocity stacks, yes the stock ones, then get the ecu flashed, i recommend 2 Wheel DynoWorks. the stacks are good for 10hp alone on top of the flash. the full system zx6rs getting flashed with stacks are easy pushing 125hp, throttle helped a ton, reduced engine braking etc, really fixes the problems with the bike. it's a whole new ride after a proper tuned flash. if you get a crap flash, it's not going to fix anything.

your nuts hitting the tank is two fold, the crap tune in the bike and also, you not using your knees and core to keep your body stabilized.

quickshifter helps the shifting issue too
cmbnyc likes this.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #37 of 48 Old 11-06-2017, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capncalyx View Post
Also, i ride my 636 just fine on the street, it rocks in fact. At least for me. I think saying 600's suck for the street is a pretty generalized statement since they work well for some people. If that were the case - they suck - we'd be on a ZX300, ZZR, ZRX or Z1 forum. Yea you gotta shift but you can short shift to a gear and cruise, i do it all the time and always have plenty of pep to pass any car i come across. I guess if you dont wanna shift just rip yer clutch lever off and lose some weight. Or, Honda makes some POS that is automatic if i remember correctly. Gonna try to disagree as politely as i can on that one and leave it at that.
Capncalyx you have a good point. Since starting this thread, I've ridden the ZX6R a couple of more times to try to focus on what aspects really, absolutely, unequivocally bothers me about it and what I can appreciate, learn to accept and grow to like.

GOOD THINGS
So, the lack of power issue really is no longer an issue. I'm close to being out of the break-in period and on the last two rides I wrung out the engine quite a bit more and really enjoyed the whine of the engine and rush of speed above 8K rpm. For practical street speeds this thing is way more than adequate. Cruising at around 70-80 mph also doesn't seem as annoying as I initially thought and I really don't plan on touring with this bike so long stints at that speed won't be a factor. I also love the sharp handling which I'm not sure the 2016 ZX10R can match.

CONS
The fueling when closing/opening the throttle at certain rpms and in certain gears still can be quite abrupt and downright annoying no matter how smooth I am, especially when I'm either mildly putting along in stop and go traffic or when I'm flying fast and need to cut speed down immediately by letting off the throttle. I guess an ECU flash will solve this issue as many have stated before. Need to figure out how much and who I can find near me to do it who will do it right. The ergonomics and suspension are still too harsh for my taste. I put on some grip pads (see attached pictures) which have helped tremendously and I'm no longer sliding into the tank when slowing down or hitting bumps. But, I still would love to be able to put on some helibars (had them on my GSXRs and loved them - they don't make them for the newer ZX6Rs) to just bring up and back the clipons ever so slightly to get the reach closer to what I experienced on my gen 4 ZX10R. I'm quite a light rider at around 170 lbs with full gear on. Not sure what I can do to make the suspension better soak up the harsh imperfections of New York City highways, but my dealer said the factory settings were set up for a rider of my weight.

So in conclusion, if I can manage to resolve the 3 major remaining cons (fueling, clipons reach/angle and suspension harshness) then I may very well be happy with this bike and be looking forward to riding it regularly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2711 (Large).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	270.6 KB
ID:	406465   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2712 (Large).JPG
Views:	2
Size:	331.6 KB
ID:	406473  
Capncalyx likes this.
post #38 of 48 Old 11-06-2017, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
aright so basic canned response cuz i didnt read everyones response but, trick to that bike is, install 2009 zx6r velocity stacks, yes the stock ones, then get the ecu flashed, i recommend 2 Wheel DynoWorks. the stacks are good for 10hp alone on top of the flash. the full system zx6rs getting flashed with stacks are easy pushing 125hp, throttle helped a ton, reduced engine braking etc, really fixes the problems with the bike. it's a whole new ride after a proper tuned flash. if you get a crap flash, it's not going to fix anything.

your nuts hitting the tank is two fold, the crap tune in the bike and also, you not using your knees and core to keep your body stabilized.

quickshifter helps the shifting issue too
Thanks for the ECU flash suggestion nakedinseattle. 2 Wheel DynoWorks is 5 hour plane ride from me. I guess I'd have to find a tuner locally.
post #39 of 48 Old 11-06-2017, 06:03 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Mail you ECU to Nels @ two wheel dyno works. That is what I did on my zx10r.
cmbnyc likes this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #40 of 48 Old 11-07-2017, 07:42 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbnyc View Post
Thanks for the ECU flash suggestion nakedinseattle. 2 Wheel DynoWorks is 5 hour plane ride from me. I guess I'd have to find a tuner locally.
As obijack mentioned, 2wdw provides mail in flash options. you tell em what mods you have, they put the flash in for those mods. each flash is developed on the dyno with each mod, so it's a match to your bike

edit: they should be running a black friday sale soon around $300 or less for the flash FYI

and after reading your last post, the suspension issue, that's a tricky one since your street surfaces are less than ideal, you'll wanna soften up the suspension a few clicks. basically, get a piece of paper, and write down your current settings. to do that, you take a screwdriver/socket whatever adjustability you have and screw it all the way in, counting exactly how many full turns it takes to bottom out, if it goes down and is only a 1/2 or 3/4 turn, you write that down. then, count out all the turns to fully out. now you know your range, and where you were. so, set it back to where it was, then turn it out, lets say 2 times. write it down. now, go ride, write down comments about its changes. good/bad whatever, then adjust some more. be sure to write it down.

if that all sounds like too much, then just start with "turned out compression 2 full turns" instead. you won't know your starting point, but if you write down each change you make, you can at least get back to where you were if it's worse.

your sag/rebound settings are easiest to be done by a suspension tuner, its usually $30 or so, takes 5 minutes, and is just easier than doing it yourself since you'll need a buddy there to help you. however if the shop says its set for you, either take em at their word, or spend the coupla bucks making sure it's set properly. i know seasons bad for it but if you ever go to a trackday, there's almost always a suspension tuner there who knocks out setups like that cheaply.
Capncalyx and cmbnyc like this.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv

Last edited by nakedinseattle; 11-07-2017 at 07:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.