Gen 5: 2016 -> Zx6r not doing it for me... - Page 3 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 21Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 48 Old 10-24-2017, 10:42 AM
WSB Rider
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: North East FL
Posts: 513
Posting Frequency
 
Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - GSX-S1000 - 2016 - GSXS1000FA
cmbnyc likes this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
obijack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 48 Old 10-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Champion Rider
 
Porschenut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Posts: 459
Posting Frequency
Images: 2
 
Almost every new 1000 is crap out of the box due to Euro 4 emissions requirements. The R1, Zx10r, CBR1000r (and more) are all notorious for a snatchy throttle and you have to fix them with a flash.

You've may have simply fallen in love with a 2008 bike because it doesn't have the same kind of emissions restrictions and is nicely broken in or dialed in closer to the way you like it.

You might be very happy with any bike, including your 636, once it's been set up for you. Give it a chance first. Take it to a suspension expert, tell them the things that you want to improve and have them dial it in for you. It's only going to cost about $50 to try that out.
cmbnyc likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
Porschenut is offline  
post #23 of 48 Old 10-27-2017, 10:34 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 72
Posting Frequency
 
Well, I had a chance to sit on a couple of 2016 & 2017 ZX10R bikes at dealerships near me. Then I immediately sat on the ZX6R also on the showroom floor next to the ZX10R and I think the ZX10R ergonomics feel more comfortable. Wish I could have taken one of the ZX10Rs out for a short spin, but the dealers would never let that happen with a showroom bike.

So, now I'm leaning heavily toward pulling the trigger and getting a leftover 2016 ZX10R non-ABS in black (gray). Hardly any black ones left, but I managed to find a couple of dealers out of state (about a 2.5 to 3 hour drive from me) that have a few non-ABS black models left and are eager to unload them at what seems to be a pretty good price of $10,999 + dealer fees of $450 and tax of course.
cmbnyc is offline  
 
post #24 of 48 Old 10-30-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 72
Posting Frequency
 
Another question for the forum.

ABS or non-ABS? Is ABS really worth the additional $1,000 USD I'd have to fork out?

Also, the bike I'm looking at in my favorite, preferred color of black (gray) doesn't come with ABS. I don't think my 2014 ZX10R had it either.
cmbnyc is offline  
post #25 of 48 Old 10-30-2017, 03:05 AM
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: sunnyvale, ca
Posts: 134
Posting Frequency
 
Garage
Personally, No ABS, but that said, abs could save your life in a panic braking situation on the street. Its a personal decision.
renais likes this.
JayBoCC2 is offline  
post #26 of 48 Old 10-30-2017, 06:10 AM
Track Day Rider
 
jr0065's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 135
Posting Frequency
Images: 18
 
Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to jr0065
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbnyc View Post
Another question for the forum.

ABS or non-ABS? Is ABS really worth the additional $1,000 USD I'd have to fork out?

Also, the bike I'm looking at in my favorite, preferred color of black (gray) doesn't come with ABS. I don't think my 2014 ZX10R had it either.
I'm pretty confident the 2016 grey came with ABS as an option.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Gen 5 ZX-10R
jr0065 is offline  
post #27 of 48 Old 10-30-2017, 10:33 AM
Track Day Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 192
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbnyc View Post
Another question for the forum.

ABS or non-ABS? Is ABS really worth the additional $1,000 USD I'd have to fork out?
If you're heavily into track days or plan to race, then I'd say no to ABS.

For mainly road use, take every rider aid you can get. Yes, choose ABS.

Have you considered the 2017 GSXR 1000...Although you may get hung up on the looks as Suzuki sacked their Superbike styling team around 2005.

I've not ridden one but they are supposed to be awesome...I own a K5 1000 and they say it is a step back to the greatness of this bike.

[offtopic]
About looks...I don't think there has been a good looking Japanese Superbike since the 04-06 R1.

The Japanese must love what Michael Bay did with the Transformers licence because every bike released since the 2007 movie has looked all angular and well...shit.

You can have too much function over form.

Japanese don't seem to understand that...It's a shame you don't get the same collaborations like you do in the car world with different groups (as in cultural) of people working on bikes.

Lamborghinis being a good example...Built by reliable Germans...Styled by Italians (because they don't seem to understand that vehicle wiring sometimes will see water what with it being used outside).

Actually that's a crap example as most Lambos are all triangular too now :)

The world's gone angular.

Maybe I need to look closer to home..The Brit Adrian Morton designed MV range = lush!

The yet to be released Norton V4 SS = sticky pants.

The Italians are still doing it for good looks with the Panigale...and still doing it in unreliability...The Panigale...Scrambler (a friend's bike stopped working when caught out riding in the rain...The bike is incompatible with Wales)
[/offtopic]

Last edited by 10Arghh; 10-30-2017 at 10:37 AM.
10Arghh is offline  
post #28 of 48 Old 11-01-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 72
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr0065 View Post
I'm pretty confident the 2016 grey came with ABS as an option.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Just found out dealer has ABS version for $900 more. Hmmm....
cmbnyc is offline  
post #29 of 48 Old 11-01-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 72
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Arghh View Post
If you're heavily into track days or plan to race, then I'd say no to ABS.

For mainly road use, take every rider aid you can get. Yes, choose ABS.

Have you considered the 2017 GSXR 1000...Although you may get hung up on the looks as Suzuki sacked their Superbike styling team around 2005.

I've not ridden one but they are supposed to be awesome...I own a K5 1000 and they say it is a step back to the greatness of this bike.

[offtopic]
About looks...I don't think there has been a good looking Japanese Superbike since the 04-06 R1.

The Japanese must love what Michael Bay did with the Transformers licence because every bike released since the 2007 movie has looked all angular and well...shit.

You can have too much function over form.

Japanese don't seem to understand that...It's a shame you don't get the same collaborations like you do in the car world with different groups (as in cultural) of people working on bikes.

Lamborghinis being a good example...Built by reliable Germans...Styled by Italians (because they don't seem to understand that vehicle wiring sometimes will see water what with it being used outside).

Actually that's a crap example as most Lambos are all triangular too now :)

The world's gone angular.

Maybe I need to look closer to home..The Brit Adrian Morton designed MV range = lush!

The yet to be released Norton V4 SS = sticky pants.

The Italians are still doing it for good looks with the Panigale...and still doing it in unreliability...The Panigale...Scrambler (a friend's bike stopped working when caught out riding in the rain...The bike is incompatible with Wales)
[/offtopic]
Love the rambling reply. LOL

But you do have some good points about the direction the design of modern sportbikes has gone.

The 2017 GSXR 1000 doesn't look all that bad to me. Seems to have gotten some pretty good reviews. Can't stand the chintzy looking LCD screen/monitor/dash thingy though.

Last edited by cmbnyc; 11-01-2017 at 09:37 PM.
cmbnyc is offline  
post #30 of 48 Old 11-01-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 72
Posting Frequency
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBoCC2 View Post
Personally, No ABS, but that said, abs could save your life in a panic braking situation on the street. Its a personal decision.
I just realized after looking at my old purchase order that my my 2014 ZX10R had ABS. Not that it means much to me since I only owned it for about 2 hours before fate intervened. I had a Versys 650 with ABS for a short period but never had the opportunity to experience it kicking in so I don't have any real-world experience with ABS on any bike. In the past I remember one time having to brake real hard, real quick on my non-ABS GSXR 750 coming in hot behind a car that had stopped in traffic on the highway and I was glad I could employ the full force of my front brake with a little rear brake applied. Not sure if I would have stopped in time if I had had ABS in that situation.
cmbnyc is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome