Gen 5: 2016 -> Zx6r not doing it for me... - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 48 Old 10-17-2017, 01:13 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
You want a true sport bike, but also a soft suspension and smooth throttle? I am not sure what bike you are wanting us to tell you about, but honestly it sounds like you have your mind made up but trying to justify it with nonsense.

Do what you want, get what you want, and be done with it!
Cool story bro

More cowbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 48 Old 10-17-2017, 02:26 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle1000 View Post
Cool story bro
I think your story was cooler, bro.
post #13 of 48 Old 10-17-2017, 03:37 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The reach on the Gen 5 is definitely shorter than on the Gen 4. Kawasaki revised the geometry on the newer model resulting in a shorter reach. Maybe Jonathan Rea likes the bars closer?
Schooley likes this.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!

post #14 of 48 Old 10-18-2017, 08:14 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Just get a Aprilia Tuono Factory and be done! lol

http://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/models/...-factory-2017/

PS- I'll trade you my 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 for your ZX6R!

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS

Last edited by obijack; 10-18-2017 at 08:16 AM.
post #15 of 48 Old 10-20-2017, 07:20 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Get a ZX14R. Ended up buying one because my gen 4 zx10r was to rough on my back since my injury. Picked up a 2016 ZX14R and its awesome. Tons of power for gun, puts you in a perfect body position so your arms will be at good length and you wont be hunched over as much.
obijack likes this.

2015 ZX10R
2016 ZX14R SE
post #16 of 48 Old 10-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

oh man OP, same exact year and color that I have and I just had a hard drop on it back in sept 10, after literally 1 year of owning it I feel ya...

and I get you on wanting to swap out for another zx10r, my brother has a 13 zx6r and I rode it for 2 years prior to me getting my 10r. The power difference and ergos are def more comfortable on the 10r and I mean if you could swap out for a gen 5 Id say go for it, the little extra oomph they put into it for the mid range definitely makes it worth it when being compared side by side to a gen 4 in my opinion.

also the gen 4 had that twitchy fueling near the mid-high rpm range, did a euro ECU mod (zx10r ivan mod) and it seems to eliminate it but even without it you wouldnt notice it unless you were cornering at high RPMs in 2nd gear... which for city riding, like wtf man lol. but yeah I much prefer my 10r over a 6r on street any day. Probably vice versa on track tho.
post #17 of 48 Old 10-21-2017, 12:16 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
Just get a Aprilia Tuono Factory and be done! lol

Tuono V4 1100 Factory my2017 - Aprilia

PS- I'll trade you my 2016 Suzuki GSX-S1000 for your ZX6R!
i have a 2016 Tuono 1100RR and its brilliant on the street. Great character. Fun as shit. I have a 2005 ZX10, which feels more comfortable than the newer Gen ZX10s (based on sitting only, never rode one). Itll keep up with a "true sportbike" on the road without question. Rather a comfy bike to ride too. Much much better than riding a clip-on bike on the street.
cmbnyc likes this.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #18 of 48 Old 10-22-2017, 08:48 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
i have a 2016 Tuono 1100RR and its brilliant on the street. Great character. Fun as shit. I have a 2005 ZX10, which feels more comfortable than the newer Gen ZX10s (based on sitting only, never rode one). Itll keep up with a "true sportbike" on the road without question. Rather a comfy bike to ride too. Much much better than riding a clip-on bike on the street.
Indeed man! I concur! Glad to hear you are enjoying the Tuono so much. I'd love to have one!

To the real OP of this thread: here is to your journey in finding the perfect bikes for you and your type of riding!!! Please forgive me for clogging up your thread, but maybe my journey will help guide yours.

It is interesting the way my ownership of motorcycles has progressed or regressed (lol) as I have gotten older. 15 years ago all I wanted was a 600cc "sport bike" and I had a bunch over the years. 5 years ago I got tired of riding a 600cc on the street because of their lack of torque and buzzy highway antics (among other things) and wanted 1000 cc "sport bike". 3 Years ago I got into track riding and started hating riding any sport bike on the street. Mostly because once you have really put in time and effort to ride the motorcycle the way it is designed, it is hard for me to go back to riding on the street with everyone else. Now my Gen 5 and R6 are dedicated track bikes.

But the more track days I do, the more I am getting sick of riding on the street at all. Unless it is one of the few places that I can ride hardish. But even on my dedicated street bike, 16 GSX-S1000, street riding is loosing its luster. I think I have a track sickness. My only regret is not getting into track riding/amatuer racing sooner in life!

So I try and tell people you don't want a 600cc for the street. It simply is one of the worst choices for riding on the street. It lacks many things i have come to expect out of of performance bike that is driven on the street. Comfort (riding position: handlebars and less aggressive footpeg locations), plush suspension, torque, easily accessible power (power delivery that is designed for the street not top end performance that is needed on the track), electronics, etc.

I tell people buy a 800cc-1200cc upright (naked or faired) that is DESIGNED to be ridden on the street and you will be in heaven for street riding (z1000/Z900/Ninja 1000, GSX-S1000/F (I have the naked), Tuono, Monster, CB1000R, FZ10, FZ09, etc.) and still be able to keep up with people riding hardish in the corners on the street and PULL on 600cc in a straight line. But everyone wants the "sport bike" look. And I understand it, I used to be there too.

Honestly at this point on my life, if I had to have one motorcycle for the street and the track, it would be either a FZ10SP or a 2017+ Tuono Factory.

-
jr0065 and cmbnyc like this.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS

Last edited by obijack; 10-22-2017 at 08:50 AM.
post #19 of 48 Old 10-22-2017, 09:49 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

After owning a Z1000 2015 for 2 years I can definitely advise NOT to get one over a ZX10r.
I thought the Z1 was awesome, fairly comfortable, fast and great handling.
I can honestly say I must have only thought this because I knew no different!!
After 2 month on the ZX I rode my friends Z1 last week and it was AWFUL!!
VERY uncomfortable
Sluggish handling
Very heavy in traffic
Very hard to control at low speed
Very twitchy throttle
And it seems to need around 10 gears as the ratios are so close.
Yes there are many nakeds that are leagues better than a ZX10 on the street but the Z1000 definitely is NOT one of them.
The 2 things it does do better IMO is looks better and sounds better but thats it
cmbnyc likes this.
post #20 of 48 Old 10-24-2017, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thank you everyone for the feedback and opinions.

I agree with many of the comments about the ZX10R not being ideal for street use. And I guess I'm kind of guilty of wanting that superbike status while at the same time being somewhat comfortable and happy on real road conditions. Can't have your cake and eat it too, right?

But, I have to say, the 2008 GSXR 750 I test road a couple of weeks ago seemed to meet both my needs. It was fast and fun as hell while being quite reasonable at soaking up the bumps and not throwing me into the tank and hurting my precious gonads. Maybe I can have my cake and eat it too, just not with the ZX10R? Too bad that GSXR 750 was taken off the market by the dealer due to its recently discovered "questionable" history. There is another 2011 GSXR 750 for sale by the same dealer, but I just can't stand the huge front and headlight design on the 2011 and newer models. Call me vain, but the huge front-end bugs me.

The dealer has a 2013 GSXR 1000 which I also test rode and would have considered, but it handled miserably in turns (checked tire pressure and no issues, but seemed to want to stand up and not turn in), and at low speeds the fueling was "choppy" and not smooth at all like the GSXR 750 was which is vital for my commuting in heavy traffic. The lousy turning issue may be related to the tires being worn down and needing replacement, but not sure if the fueling issue is inherently part of the engine's character or related to something else.

I'm not interested in naked upright bikes because I do a fair amount of highway riding with some pretty windy conditions at times and have found fully faired bikes preferable, although my ZRX1200R with the tall screen seems to be work quite well in that regards.

I think I may hunt around a little more for some older (2006-2010) GSXR 750s and see if I can find one that is in decent shape at the right price and color (black or dark blue).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.