Gen 5: 2016 -> ZX10RR Superstock racebuild!! - Page 15 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 67Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #141 of 176 Old 01-07-2018, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto316 View Post
Is there a reasoning behind only tuning cyl 1&2 and not 3&4 as well?

Race ECU only allows 2 separate maps, one for cylinders 1&4 the other cylinder 2&3..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 176 Old 01-07-2018, 10:24 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
Race ECU only allows 2 separate maps, one for cylinders 1&4 the other cylinder 2&3..

Ahh that's right, thanks.
post #143 of 176 Old 01-09-2018, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

A couple laps of BIRA circuit while testing this past weekend!!
https://youtu.be/NFFomeZoP9o

moto316 likes this.

post #144 of 176 Old 01-09-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Followed around one of the other Superstock racers on his zx10 for a couple laps to compare. Previous rounds at Chang International he would leave me pretty bad down the long straights but looks like the tuning plus e85 has helped out a lot with straight line speed. We switched bikes the following session and both noticed a big difference in how much more pull my bike had in 4th-5th. He left me for dead down the straight when he was on my bike (rider is 20kg lighter).

https://youtu.be/oGi7XDs7GV4

post #145 of 176 Old 01-10-2018, 08:22 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

if yours pull harder 4-5th, and he beats you on the straights, he is simply getting out of the curves faster...

I think
post #146 of 176 Old 01-10-2018, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

ZX10RR Superstock racebuild!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
if yours pull harder 4-5th, and he beats you on the straights, he is simply getting out of the curves faster...

I think

In the video u can see Iím pulling him in down the straight, but before last round at Chang International I couldnít stay anywhere near him on the straights. So, it looks like the e85/MWR filter and tuning has made a sizable improvement in my bike.

He was riding my bike and I was on his when he left me for dead..lol

post #147 of 176 Old 01-29-2018, 10:22 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

First time i've read through an entire 15 page thread. Awesome to follow along and thanks for sharing. I'm looking forward to the day the rr is faster than the s1000
Newf and ddipaola like this.
post #148 of 176 Old 03-25-2018, 04:02 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

[QUOTE=Newf;4359962]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos76 View Post
Great video!

I'm not smart, but would try following:
a) Biggest sprockets front and back to try shorter wheelbase.
b) Zip tie on shock shaft to check rear bottoming.
c) Forks through clamps 10mm and raise rear some more (max preload or shim it), just to test "push wide" issue.
d) If nothing helps then 23 degree rake stem inserts to shorten that huge trail the Gen5 has.

A) tried a bunch of different gearing/wheelbase (595-610mm) and it changes how the bike turns in but not really any help mid corner.

B) just installed rear suspension potentiometer and rear travel looks good but I tried more preload last session and did feel better but the rain came down before I could really test it properly.

C) shock is 311mm, tried flush and 10mm through with forks. With 10mm through it does help mid corner but the bike shakes its head a lot when transitioning from left to right/right to left.

D) Superstock so can't change the offsets

So on my gen 4 I had this issue too. All I did was we looked at the data from my aim and it felt like the bike wanted to run on. So we adjusted the engine brake to be fully off but in a linear fashion. So as I came into the corner it was coming off and then mid corner fully off and that helped a ton with running wide mid corner.

I found this issue the most at Laustizring against the Aprilias of Kev Calio and Tambourine. They could run in with more corner speed and I was running wide and having to wait to get on the power.

This year I am between running the ZX10RR and the S1000RR.
Lanister likes this.

2014 Sponsors of Barker Racing

Pirelli
Spy Optics
AXO Leathers
Chicken Hawk Racing
Galfer Brakes and Lines
Kraus Racing
Sebimoto Fairing

If you would like to sponsor the fastest American racing in Germany please contact for details.
post #149 of 176 Old 03-26-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

ZX10RR Superstock racebuild!!

Just back from worldSBK weekend where I put slicks on the Superstock zx10rr and raced in the Superbike support class. The race was announced late so not many of the quicker riders showed up but I still wanted to fix a nagging issue Iíve had with the zx10 for the last 6 months and finally get into the 1m38s.

Was right into 1m39s in practice on old tires but still had the hesitation/shaking feel from the bike on corner exit even after changing more parts that I hoped would fix it.

Into qualifying and couldnít really drop my time much when on the 4th lap I lost all rear dampening in the rear shock and had to pull into the pits, let the shock cool down and tried a different setting but the bike felt horrible so I just came back into the pits. Then it was scrambling time trying to get a shock for the afternoon race.

Found an OEM shock but decided to stick with what I was running and see if I could get race distance out of it before it let go again. made it to lap 9 sitting 2s behind 2nd position when the same happened again on a 3rd gear wide open T10-11.. got the bike under control and managed to limp through the last lap to finish 3rd. Also a new PB on the zx10rr of 1m39.2, getting closer..lol

A good track buddie got his Ktech rear shock sent by bus to the track for 8am on Sunday just in time to install with my spring and a safe setting that I though would work. In the 10am race I managed to smash my outright PB lap at Chang on the s1000rr from a year ago (1m38.6) and post a new lap of 1m38.2 on my way to 2nd position.

So, it looks like most of the issues I was having with the bike the past 6 months were all related to the rear shock. I did have it recharged and Oil replaced but looks like thereís more wrong with it so itís on it way back to the UK to get checked out. Will pick up a new Ohlins KA-468 to test out also as itís always good to have a spare.

WorldSBK laptimes from Race2

moto316 and theatiss like this.

Last edited by Newf; 03-27-2018 at 04:57 AM.
post #150 of 176 Old 03-26-2018, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

[quote=barkerracing59;4436506]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post

A) tried a bunch of different gearing/wheelbase (595-610mm) and it changes how the bike turns in but not really any help mid corner.

B) just installed rear suspension potentiometer and rear travel looks good but I tried more preload last session and did feel better but the rain came down before I could really test it properly.

C) shock is 311mm, tried flush and 10mm through with forks. With 10mm through it does help mid corner but the bike shakes its head a lot when transitioning from left to right/right to left.

D) Superstock so can't change the offsets

So on my gen 4 I had this issue too. All I did was we looked at the data from my aim and it felt like the bike wanted to run on. So we adjusted the engine brake to be fully off but in a linear fashion. So as I came into the corner it was coming off and then mid corner fully off and that helped a ton with running wide mid corner.

I found this issue the most at Laustizring against the Aprilias of Kev Calio and Tambourine. They could run in with more corner speed and I was running wide and having to wait to get on the power.

This year I am between running the ZX10RR and the S1000RR.

Once I changed to Ktech cartridges and some clutch modifications it actually went the opposite where it was turning in too early. Played with geometry a little more and itís sweet now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in