Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

zx10r or zx6r?

Gen 5: 2016-20 
15K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Schooley 
#1 ·
Hello new to the forum. I have a general question regarding my self as a rider and what bike would suit me best for my next purchase. I am looking at getting either a ninja zx6r 636 or a 2016 ninja zx10r.

Some general background on my riding history. I have had a ninja 300 for the past two years, as a starter bike to get all the basics down as this was my first street bike. I grew up around dirt bikes and have ridden them for years. Not that street riding is that similar to motor cross/ dirt bikes.

My current situation is I have a 2016 ninja zx10r krt that a friend is selling and is a very good deal. My plan was to move up to the zx6r and then eventually the zx10r. So my question is do you think jumping to the zx10r would be a mistake? My uncle used to professionally race so I have always been taught to respect the power of the machine I’m on. I know it’s really a rider to rider question, and depends a lot on where my head is. That being said I’m not gonna jump on it and race the first exotic I see, or race ever. Also I feel in the long run it’ll save money and time if I don’t buy a zx6r that then I would most likely sell a year from now and lose money on. I don’t want to be stupid however and get my self in over my head. Please let me know your opinion on my situation and/or if anyone has had a similar situation and what they ended up doing. Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Get the ZX10R. Sounds like you have the right mindset not to kill yourself on in in the first week. You will likely outgrow the 636 as a rider sooner than you think, not that the 636 is slow or incapable by any means. If you can get a KRT for a sweet deal then I say get it.

... also my opinion is that the years of dirt bike riding are relevant to road riding, especially when surprises happen.

#3 ·
You really didn't give much info on your riding experience. Some dirt, my uncle, ninja 300.

What I would want to know is how you rode the dirt, and how you rode the 300? Were you very careful, cautious, timid? Get the 600. Were you stunting, killing it, picking up chicks? Get the 1000. Either choice you are in for a world of trouble if you ride aggressively anywhere else but a straight line with no traffic!

Get the 636 dude. Once you learn how to WOT that, you'll be much better prepared to pickup a zx10r 2016 or newer and not kill yourself, or for that matter anyone else!

#4 ·
I belong to an old school that believes in the value of steady progression through the ranks.My own progression was 125, 400, 600, 1000. You will surely survive the litre bike experience, but IMHO you will be a better rider by gaining experience on the 636 (which is no slouch) before trying a litre bike.

If you're ambition is to ride the track , a litre bike is a real handful for a relative novice and most people make the mistake of thinking bigger is best. Others will disagree and urge you to get the 10R, but if you really want to learn to ride , take your time, your confidence will grow and your patience will be rewarded in the end :smile2:

#5 ·
I am just using these numbers loosely for a comparison:

Ninja 300 is roughly 35 hp / 18 torque
Ninja 636 is roughly 110 – 120 hp / 40-45 torque
2016 KRT ZX10 is roughly 170-190 hp / 60-75 torque

The power difference is huge. May be it is a better financial decision to get the ZX10R if you can control yourself and manage yourself on the bike with baby steps. Lots of new riders actually have that discipline and self control. But a better skill development but may be financially costly progression is to drive the 300 till the 300 holds you back and not you holding the 300 back and then move to a 600 till the 600 holds you back and not the other way around and then to a 750 to a 1000. In my opinion it is better value for money to buy an older low mileage 600 and put the rest of the money in gear, and in school and track then it is to put it in a new liter bike if skill development is really what your after. Price of an older fuel injected 600 will leave you with enough money to get a cheap dirt bike on the side, going back and forth between dirt and street gives you a better perspective.

#9 ·
I went through 3 zx6rs before getting my 10r. I told myself over and over that I didn’t need a 10.

After owning the zx10 for almost a year I am considering going back to the 6. The 10r is overkill for the street (the zx6 can be, too)- but take a good honest look at your riding style and personality and if you think you can keep your cool then go for it. The bike is very easy to handle at low rpms so govern yourself until you’re comfortable. Try to get out to the track on it too - you’ll probably learn more in 1 track day than a year of riding street.

#11 ·
Get the ZX6R. I rode 600's before getting on an older R1, then after 2 years on the R1, I switched to the '16 ZX10R and I can tell you that even coming from a liter bike, it was a massive difference in power. Also, you'll be used to a bike that LITERALLY goes where you tell it midcorner, the ZX10 isn't like that and if you blow a corner you'll be working hard to pull it back to the apex.

You'll never understand it, until you ride one but please listen to those of use that have been down this path. You'll have SO much fun on a 600 and be safer at the same time. Leave the ZX10 alone for a couple more years.

Reactions: Schooley
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.