ZX10r Wheelie - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 143 Old 02-22-2012, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

ZX10r Wheelie

Hey guys. I know I might get flamed for this but just looking for some advice. I have been riding for 6 years or so, mostly 600s but have been riding my zx10r for a year now. Anyways, I never gave wheelies much thought except for the occasional accidental power wheelie with hard acceleration, which I immediately bring down, safely. Anyways, here comes the part I may get flamed for, I would like to be able to do a longer wheelie, in a safe environment of course. So heres my question, I was highly considering getting a used older dirt bike, to learn balance point, clutch/brake/acceleration control on before I even really attempt on my big bike. I know the weight and stuff will be different between the zx10r and the dirt bike, the thing I hope to gain on the dirt bike is mostly brake control to save my ass if the front goes over the top, instead of freaking out and flipping. My thoughts are I can learn all this, on grass/dirt, instead of pavement, at slow speeds. I plan on falling, as I know I most likely will. I know, even with this I can still wreck on my zx10r but the thought is, this will be the safest/cheapest way to learn wheelie balance/technique and most importantly brake control if wheel goes to high. What do you all think? Am I wasting my time with a dirt bike?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 143 Old 02-22-2012, 11:47 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage

The Truth
post #3 of 143 Old 02-22-2012, 11:50 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

post #4 of 143 Old 02-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

My advice.. a leather suit, a good helmet, and some life insurance..

but for real, they have wheelie classes...

I probably wouldn't be trying to LEARN how to wheelie on my 10R.. but if you really want to, it's DAM EASY.. just open that throttle up and hold on.. swap out your sprockets and get right with God.. cause you may meet him sooner than you hope to...

post #5 of 143 Old 02-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Slo
Is still Slo

Posting Frequency

Garage
Alright, I don't want to get too far into this, but are you trying to learn sit down or stand up wheelies? Also know that slow wheelies are much harder to learn than ones at speed.

Are you wanting to learn the bounce technique or clutch ups? Advantages of clutch ups are that you can do them in a variety of rpms in each gear where bouncing it up you are more limited on what rpm to do this at.

2015 ZX10R - Archer flash+goodies - Arrow - TechSpec lock kit tank pad - Spiegler lines
CL Pads - 520 kit - LSL sliders & rearset - Yoshi case guards - custom seats - Gyrocam GoPro 4 Silver
post #6 of 143 Old 02-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Oh Lord....you sound serious....

Try it on the grass?!?! WTF?!?!? Really?

1st You wil get hurt. period.

2nd you will wreck your bike.

The key to longer wheelies is throttle control. Bigger sprockets help immensely.

The ZX can power wheelie in every gear..trust me on this.

My recommendation is to NOT start trying to do wheelies, but when you have a power wheelie, use the throttle to control it, bring it up higher, or last longer....

Thats all Ill say about that.....

02 998 Mono - Garage Queen
08 1098S Race - RIP
04 ZX10R Orange - SOLD
04 ZX10R Black - SOLD
05 ZX10R Green- Race- Blowed Up!
04 ZX10R Black- SOLD
05 ZX10R Green- Blowed Up!
05 ZX10R Green - Street/Track
2012 ZX10R Red/Black- SOLD!
04 Z71 Avalanche
78 Corvette Indy Pace Car
63 340/327 Corvette Roadster

OMRRA #69
post #7 of 143 Old 02-22-2012, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenWeenie View Post
Oh Lord....you sound serious....

Try it on the grass?!?! WTF?!?!? Really?

1st You wil get hurt. period.

2nd you will wreck your bike.

The key to longer wheelies is throttle control. Bigger sprockets help immensely.

The ZX can power wheelie in every gear..trust me on this.

My recommendation is to NOT start trying to do wheelies, but when you have a power wheelie, use the throttle to control it, bring it up higher, or last longer....

Thats all Ill say about that.....
I think everyone miss-understood me. I would be practicing on grass, with a DIRT BIKE. Not my zx10r. I have done many small wheelies on my r6 before this zx10r. They were all power wheelies but they were well below balance point. What I meant was, I am now interested in doing slow balance point wheelies so instead of practicing on any sport bike at first, is it worth buying a cheap dirt bike to learn slow wheelies and practice brake and clutch control on, before stepping up to crotch rockets, or should I just jump right into putting a cage on my bike and stunting in the lots with my friends. They rent out this one lot every weekend.
Regards,

Bigeclipse
post #8 of 143 Old 02-22-2012, 12:05 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

That dirt bike wheelie is going to be NOTHING like a 10R wheelie, so throw that out of your mind...

a 10R wheelie is about throttle control, if you're trying to do a power wheelie...

or clutch control, if you're trying to clutch is up...

clutch-ups, you can do dam near at anytime, but you better be good, cause it's coming up fast...

a power wheelie at high speed, I find in MY limited experience, is a little more tame and not so scary...

when I first started doing them, I'd notice the wheel coming off the ground a bit, so I'd try to hold it longer and longer... and get it higher and higher without killing myself..

Last edited by Silent Assassin; 02-22-2012 at 12:08 PM.
post #9 of 143 Old 02-22-2012, 12:09 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Garage

The Truth
post #10 of 143 Old 02-22-2012, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I understand the dirt bike and crotch rockets are nothing alike, but as far as rear break to bring them back down, they are alike. If you are used to using them on the dirt bike, id assume you would be better prepared to use the rear break when learning on a sport bike. Ive scene a lot of people crash, when they simply could have used the rear break but they panicked. This is what I was hoping to accomplish with a dirt bike. If I can get used to using the back break on a dirt bike instead of panicking when its too high, then when I start doing them on a sport bike, I would be more apt at using the rear break instead of panicking...but maybe I am wrong
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.