2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 18 Old 09-07-2017, 02:43 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy View Post
Aren't you the guy that blew up two motors? My bike can sit for a month and it starts right up...the key is to let it sit with key on for a bit before you engage the starter.
I believe Shorai suggests you quickly;y hit the starter button to turn the headlight on (doesn't come on with just the key on) to help heat up and start "activating" the battery internally.

Ive had my Shorai in my non-ABS Gen 4 for a few years now, I live in a state that gets cold during the winter months and Ive had 0 issues with the battery. I dont have a charger for it and dont see a need for one really. This year my bike sat for 2 months straight without being turned on, when I finally got it back together it started right up without issues.

To OP, you could buy a used piece from an ABS bike on Ebay that has the bigger tray in it and swap out the one you have, its not a painted piece so even new I dont think it would cost an arm or a leg. Unless you want to hack apart the one you have currently to accept the larger battery that appears to be required (there is a reason I bought a non-ABS bike).

2011 ZX-10R Ebony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 18 Old 09-08-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Got the battery today, installed it and fired right up....life is good...50% off ending costing me like $78 or something around there. and was actually 6 years..
White Fang likes this.

post #13 of 18 Old 09-09-2017, 12:07 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
So off topic from the op. But if my bike was abs and i delete the abs, minus leaving the module hooked up to avoid codes, can i use a non abs battery? Or is it still drawing to much power in theory.

2015 ZX10R
2016 ZX14R SE

post #14 of 18 Old 09-09-2017, 02:12 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
I have the '11 and '13, same tray. Also, if I don't have the shorai charger going the battery will be dead inside three days, but possible I'm confusing bikes. It sure worked well for you.
The shorai battery at full charge is designed to sit unused with zero loss for up to 12 months.
post #15 of 18 Old 09-11-2017, 10:26 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I've had nothing but issues with Shorai batteries. My first one was dead in about 13 months. So I got the replacement for 50% off. They swore up and down it was because I didn't keep it on the charger over the winter and that starting it every couple weeks wasn't enough for it. So I ended up buying the charger as well. It was charged all winter as suggested and working great...until it decided to die on me again. Now I'm stuck with another dead battery just outside the one year mark. So I'll have to pay 50% again to warranty. If they decide to return any of my emails. But I decided it's not worth the money to get another. I've already wasted to much money on the batteries and charger for them to keep dying on me. It would have been a lot cheaper to just buy a new battery every year at this point. I'm completely disappointed with the performance and support I've gotten from Shorai. I may try a Ballistic battery, but I think at this point I might as well get a regular battery and a new charger for that.
post #16 of 18 Old 09-11-2017, 02:43 PM
LDH
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I'll just drop this here as I have had a few minor updates since it was originally published

Rogue Racing 1000RR Portal - Battery Info
Squeeky likes this.
post #17 of 18 Old 09-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDH View Post
I'll just drop this here as I have had a few minor updates since it was originally published

Rogue Racing 1000RR Portal - Battery Info

Well then...I guess that'll help sway my decision a bit as well. Thank you for that info.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-16-2017, 05:07 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I have had five bikes with Shorai batteries. Two years in my Gen 4. Never had a failure or issue. I use either the Shorai charger, or a Battery Tender designed to be used with LiFe (Lithium-Iron) batteries. Many riders aren't aware of the difference between LiFe and Lithium Ion, it is huge. Totally different chemistry.

If you live in a cold climate, forget LiFe batteries altogether because they don't like cold weather unless you want to learn the drill of turning on the headlight or other load to heat it up.

They will deplete over time with newer bikes that have a constant current draw. If I don't ride the ZX-10R for a few weeks it'll crank slow and be down a bit on charge.

If I had to do it again, I'd get the ABS battery for my non-ABS bike, it's still a big weight savings but way more CCA and AH capacity.

Also keep in mind the multiple threads showing that installation of a LiFe battery resolves issues with the steering damper ECU; they operate at a higher voltage than lead-acid.

Sturm und Drang

Last edited by White Fang; 09-16-2017 at 05:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.