Wind buffering - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By SkyDork

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 09-06-2017, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Wind buffering

Ive got powerbronze double bubble fitted to my 2016 fairings but im getting huge buffering at high speeds.
The other day i got in a tuck and took the bike up high and it felt like someone was thumping my head.
My eyes were blurring so i had to let off.
Im guessing the powerbronze is no good for high speeds.
Any other experiences with this problem???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 09-06-2017, 06:18 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Have to use the oem screen as it's designed for this bike at all speeds.

edit: I live in a very windy area; I add this as not sure what you're used to.

Last edited by scout; 09-06-2017 at 06:43 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 09-06-2017, 06:44 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

My Puig double bubble works fine up to 175 MPH

post #4 of 9 Old 09-07-2017, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
Have to use the oem screen as it's designed for this bike at all speeds.

edit: I live in a very windy area; I add this as not sure what you're used to.
I will try a standard screen cheers. Only got a double bubble as im 6foot 4tall.
I noticed in bsb they are using very large screen so did wonder if i need to go bigger
post #5 of 9 Old 09-07-2017, 05:26 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Try slowing down, maybe you're out running the wind. Get a quicker processor or a device with more throughput. I don't know though you're in unchartered territory with this wind buffering thing, it usually all arives at once for me.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R
post #6 of 9 Old 09-07-2017, 06:58 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
The stock wind screen only covers you in a full tuck position and even then your helmet will take a lot of wind. Puig has a good visual for their wind tunnel testing if you go to their site and select your bike. If you're riding upright the pen screen is terrible at high speed.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #7 of 9 Old 09-07-2017, 07:22 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The problem is you're buffering the air. Stop storing it behind the windscreen like that. If you keep buffering excess air there, it will cause your helmet to buffet around. It should be a steady stream of air flow to keep it smooth and there's no reason to buffer it back there. That's your problem. Buffering really only works good to prevent lagging data streams that could cause stepping in the video stream.

Buffeting air pockets (as in a non-laminar airflow across the surface) are caused by a difference in flow directions and pressure within the areas of flow. Because you have a higher windscreen, that's making it worse because you create a bigger area of no flow in there. That's a big reason there are cutouts in the fairing near the windscreen to keep the pressure more equal behind the windscreen like it is in front of it. Creating an even bigger disruption with an even taller screen will just make matters more uneven.

So, based on the fact that your helmet is buffeting around (see what I did there?) you need to lower the size of the screen some to allow for more air over the helmet and reduce the size the air gap back there. This can also be improved by sitting closer to the screen you have where the helmet-to-windscreen spacing is less. This will help reduce the amount of air that can get in there and smooth out the flow. Same goes for going lower on the tank when tucking in. Pull yourself forward so you're almost touching the screen with your helmet and get lower in the space. Or just get a smaller screen.
Victors and evilaugust like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Last edited by SkyDork; 09-07-2017 at 07:31 AM.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-07-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
The problem is you're buffering the air. Stop storing it behind the windscreen like that. If you keep buffering excess air there, it will cause your helmet to buffet around. It should be a steady stream of air flow to keep it smooth and there's no reason to buffer it back there. That's your problem. Buffering really only works good to prevent lagging data streams that could cause stepping in the video stream.

Buffeting air pockets (as in a non-laminar airflow across the surface) are caused by a difference in flow directions and pressure within the areas of flow. Because you have a higher windscreen, that's making it worse because you create a bigger area of no flow in there. That's a big reason there are cutouts in the fairing near the windscreen to keep the pressure more equal behind the windscreen like it is in front of it. Creating an even bigger disruption with an even taller screen will just make matters more uneven.

So, based on the fact that your helmet is buffeting around (see what I did there?) you need to lower the size of the screen some to allow for more air over the helmet and reduce the size the air gap back there. This can also be improved by sitting closer to the screen you have where the helmet-to-windscreen spacing is less. This will help reduce the amount of air that can get in there and smooth out the flow. Same goes for going lower on the tank when tucking in. Pull yourself forward so you're almost touching the screen with your helmet and get lower in the space. Or just get a smaller screen.
Well funny you should say that coz that was what i was trying to do.
I dont usually go for top speed because its daft thing to do on the road but id noticed on trackday that i was getting buffering that i havnt had on any other bikes with various screens fitted.
I sat as far forward as i could with my chin on the tank and i have a long torso so i was right up front.
But my screen is shaped so it slopes slightly forwards so o cannot touch my helmet on the screen. Its too far away.
I think i need one that slopes back a bit like they use in bsb.
But i will try a standard screen first as soon as i can find one
post #9 of 9 Old 09-09-2017, 08:12 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Zero Gravity Corsa

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.