Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Wind buffering

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  evilaugust 
#1 ·
Ive got powerbronze double bubble fitted to my 2016 fairings but im getting huge buffering at high speeds.
The other day i got in a tuck and took the bike up high and it felt like someone was thumping my head.
My eyes were blurring so i had to let off.
Im guessing the powerbronze is no good for high speeds.
Any other experiences with this problem???

#5 ·
Try slowing down, maybe you're out running the wind. Get a quicker processor or a device with more throughput. I don't know though you're in unchartered territory with this wind buffering thing, it usually all arives at once for me. 0:) >:) :lol:

#6 ·
The stock wind screen only covers you in a full tuck position and even then your helmet will take a lot of wind. Puig has a good visual for their wind tunnel testing if you go to their site and select your bike. If you're riding upright the pen screen is terrible at high speed.

#7 · (Edited)
The problem is you're buffering the air. Stop storing it behind the windscreen like that. If you keep buffering excess air there, it will cause your helmet to buffet around. It should be a steady stream of air flow to keep it smooth and there's no reason to buffer it back there. That's your problem. Buffering really only works good to prevent lagging data streams that could cause stepping in the video stream.

:mrgreen:

Buffeting air pockets (as in a non-laminar airflow across the surface) are caused by a difference in flow directions and pressure within the areas of flow. Because you have a higher windscreen, that's making it worse because you create a bigger area of no flow in there. That's a big reason there are cutouts in the fairing near the windscreen to keep the pressure more equal behind the windscreen like it is in front of it. Creating an even bigger disruption with an even taller screen will just make matters more uneven.

So, based on the fact that your helmet is buffeting around (see what I did there?) you need to lower the size of the screen some to allow for more air over the helmet and reduce the size the air gap back there. This can also be improved by sitting closer to the screen you have where the helmet-to-windscreen spacing is less. This will help reduce the amount of air that can get in there and smooth out the flow. Same goes for going lower on the tank when tucking in. Pull yourself forward so you're almost touching the screen with your helmet and get lower in the space. Or just get a smaller screen.

#8 ·
Well funny you should say that coz that was what i was trying to do.
I dont usually go for top speed because its daft thing to do on the road but id noticed on trackday that i was getting buffering that i havnt had on any other bikes with various screens fitted.
I sat as far forward as i could with my chin on the tank and i have a long torso so i was right up front.
But my screen is shaped so it slopes slightly forwards so o cannot touch my helmet on the screen. Its too far away.
I think i need one that slopes back a bit like they use in bsb.
But i will try a standard screen first as soon as i can find one

#10 ·
Update on this.
I have had 4 different screens on my bike including standard but still it has terrible wind buffeting at high speeds.
Now i also have a 2003 r1 which i took up to 150mph at the weekend and i was astonished to find it has zero wind buffeting.
In a tuck it was a weird experience to be doing them speeds but feel like i was doing 30mph as regarding wind.
I think this eliminates my gear and my height as a possible cause of the zx10 buffeting.
Anyone else getting this as its horrid and can blur my vision sometimes!

#14 ·
Check this out perhaps... play around with the settings for arm, butt position, and stuff like that to help get you in the tuck position you're looking for. Might end up leading you to adjustable rearsets or dif clip-ons or something. Closest thing they have to the Gen5 is the Gen4 but I assume the geometry is all the same.
Motorcycle Ergonomics

#17 ·
I did a track day last year with standard gen5 bodywork and dont remember there being such an issue over 150mph. I changed to track fairings but they look identical and yet i get alot of wind.
I noticed it again this week. High speeds is just crazy buffeting even with chin on the tank???
I may even have to go back to gen4 if i cant sort it

#19 ·
Yesterday i did some more tesing to try find out whats going on.
Well lets just say i am removing my fairings asap.
Its just terrible and no matter where i put my hand to deflect the wind its got some crazy turbulance that feels like its going to knock me out!
Ive been over 170 with stock fairings and i cant barely see 160 before i have to let off.
I think the issue lies with the race fairings not being the right shape where the headlights should be.
The headlight area is flat where the stock headlight is quite round and sits proud of the fairing.
Maybe a different make would cure it....

#20 ·
Thought id post an update on this.
I found the reason for my violent headshaking was my leathers were all slightly baggy on the shoulders and upper arm area.
For some reason it was way worse on the zx10r than my r1 and i couldnt notice it as anything else but banging on my helmet.
But i made the leathers tighter and tried it again and it was loads better.
Very strange but the track fairings made it worse than the standard fairings.
One of lifes mysteries lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.