Gen 5: 2016 -> Wheelies and traction control - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 10-23-2016, 05:18 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Wheelies and traction control

Hi Guys

Really wanted to ask this question and I did loads of reading and research before bringing it up on the forum. While there is a lot of opinions and experiences regarding this on the web, it seems generally this is more a bike specific question which is why I decided to raise it here.

I've got the gen 5 with approx 2,600km on the clock now and loving very bit about my bike. My previous bike was a Aprilia RS250 2-stroke which I could never wheelie because it just didn't have the power. Now obviously I am not advocating that wheelie's are something that everyone should do and I have no experience with them (i try to be as safe as possible). Anyone here have any experience with wheelies on their gen 5 or previous gens?

Does traction control need to be off? What is your method? What are your thoughts and opinions?

Would love to see what you guys have to say!

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 10-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

if you couldn't weelie your rs250 then don't try it on your zx10r your likely to hurt yourself, i grew up on rd250lc's and spent hours on the back wheel, and on my arse when it all went wrong,
post #3 of 41 Old 10-23-2016, 07:17 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

the 2016 ZX10r has lift control built into traction control. So the lower intervention settings the traction is on, the higher the bike will allow the front tire to rise off the road. If you want to full 12 o clock wheelie, you will need to turn traction control off. And yes this bike can power wheelie 1-4 gears at correct speeds. The 2015+ R1 by comparison, has an independent lift control system. Thus, you can completely turn off lift control without touching traction control.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS

post #4 of 41 Old 10-23-2016, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thanks that makes a lot of sense...

I guess turning the traction down to 1 and trying small power wheelies by modulating the throttle and having my foot on the rear break is a good starting point..

I just want to learn- not for being a muppet and showing off but more for myself- however being safe and careful is the most important.
post #5 of 41 Old 10-24-2016, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Anyone get their gen5 up on one wheel?
post #6 of 41 Old 10-24-2016, 07:55 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwolf View Post
I'm pretty sure this has been done a time or two!
turtle1000, tdh and GSXRIntensity like this.
post #7 of 41 Old 10-24-2016, 08:18 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:

If you can't get a 190hp bike up on one wheel without really trying, then you should just not worry about it.

With traction control on and you won't be able to modulate the throttle easily at all. That's not a good way to learn at all. The only reason to leave the traction control on would be to not worry about the throttle and just get used to the feeling of having the front wheel off the ground. But you really shouldn't be relying on that either. Turn it off and get used to modulating the throttle properly and start small. You aren't going to be riding out wheelies for a 1/4 mile the first time out of the chute.
mwasse and GSXRIntensity like this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #8 of 41 Old 10-24-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Quote:

If you can't get a 190hp bike up on one wheel without really trying, then you should just not worry about it.

With traction control on and you won't be able to modulate the throttle easily at all. That's not a good way to learn at all. The only reason to leave the traction control on would be to not worry about the throttle and just get used to the feeling of having the front wheel off the ground. But you really shouldn't be relying on that either. Turn it off and get used to modulating the throttle properly and start small. You aren't going to be riding out wheelies for a 1/4 mile the first time out of the chute.

Thanks Sky

That's exactly what I wanted to know.... traction on or off. I haven't tried at all yet- will find a closed road and start small. I will be happy just getting the front wheel up a few inches!

Cheers
post #9 of 41 Old 10-24-2016, 09:41 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I get it up a few inches coming out of corners with tc on 2.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #10 of 41 Old 10-24-2016, 09:56 AM
tdh
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
My GEN5 probably spends as much time on 1 wheel as it does 2. Yes, TC has to be turned completely off to get it up over about a foot. I wouldn't suggest practicing 1 wheel with TC on as an entry into full wheelies with no TC, you'll probably screw up from muscle memory. Take it in baby steps with TC off. My biggest peeve about the GEN5 is you cannot turn TC off while in motion, even with an ECU flash (unless something has changed recently). So, I am forced to ride the bike with TC off all the time. That's the first thing I do when I start the bike is turn TC off, because you never know when you're going to have to pull out a wheelie. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.