Gen 5: 2016 -> What Does This Do? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-25-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
What Does This Do?

Can someone tell me where this hose goes or what it does?
Been having some issues today.
1: Bike sputters and loses power when holding RPM steady
2: Bike stalled on me twice when I pulled the clutch in
3: Tank is building up excessive pressure each time I go around the block
Propped the tank and saw both hoses on the left and right side unplugged (from when my tuner replaced my filter & v-stacks)
What do these hoses do? Is either of them being unplugged the cause of my issues possibly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0648.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	417426   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0649.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	417434  

When in doubt... send it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-25-2018, 02:56 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddipaola View Post
Can someone tell me where this hose goes or what it does?
Been having some issues today.
1: Bike sputters and loses power when holding RPM steady
2: Bike stalled on me twice when I pulled the clutch in
3: Tank is building up excessive pressure each time I go around the block
Propped the tank and saw both hoses on the left and right side unplugged (from when my tuner replaced my filter & v-stacks)
What do these hoses do? Is either of them being unplugged the cause of my issues possibly?

One hose is a vent for gas overflow, the other is for gas pressure overflow. What the hose you show in your picture is, not sure, guessing it is one of those, and looks like the nipple that the hose connects to was pulled from the tank???

As far as the issues you are seeing. I don't know man, might want to use FTECU, and try the Graves tune or the unrestricted tune. You have gotten your license issue squared away right?

Edited to add: If you use FTECU, make sure you take a full reading of your ECU first, and save that so you don't loose the map from the tuner.

Last edited by GearsNStuff; 05-25-2018 at 03:30 PM.
post #3 of 15 Old 05-25-2018, 03:18 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I think the hose in your picture is the air bleeder hose or one of the tank hoses that got pulled out of the tank along with the nipple.

The air bleeder hose connects to your radiator and thermostat.

Last edited by GearsNStuff; 05-25-2018 at 03:35 PM.

post #4 of 15 Old 05-25-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearsNStuff View Post
I think the hose in your picture is the air bleeder hose or one of the tank hoses that got pulled out of the tank along with the nipple.

I should’ve been clear with the pictures. They’re both pics of the same hose (the right one). I know they’re normally connected from past experience, I just wanted to show that they’re disconnected. I didn’t wanna bundle everything up though and go out for another rip and find out that wasn’t the problem. Since i’ve got the tank and airbox complete out I might as well check out the spark plugs... <3K miles though I doubt they’re even any bit toasted. If everything checks out maybe i’ll do a reflash and try to replicate the issue. Might even go as far as taking the PCV out of this continues and see if maybe the PCV is the problem.

post #5 of 15 Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Got it. So when you say that after propping up the tank, both left and right hoses were unplugged is actually only referring to the left and right pictures of the same hose (I knew it was the same hose in both pics), as opposed to both left and right hoses that normally connect to the tank.

So...LOL is the hose in your picture from your tank? If so that is your gas drain hose. You should be fine, but personally I would get it connected so excess gasoline can drain to the ground and not inside your bike (potential fire hazard)?

Also you say your tank is building up pressure. Sounds like the left hose attached to the tank (breather hose), is/was pinched somewhere. My tank used to build up pressure too (open the gas cap when filling up and I could hear the pressure release). After installing my block offs, it no longer does that.

Last edited by GearsNStuff; 05-25-2018 at 08:20 PM.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-25-2018, 08:27 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Dude that shop you took your bike to needs to be reported so noone has to go through the same crap they have put you through.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-25-2018, 08:56 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooley View Post
Dude that shop you took your bike to needs to be reported so noone has to go through the same crap they have put you through.
He actually took it to two different shops as I understand. The first shop totally messed up his tune, the 2nd shop had a good tune on paper (185bhp pump gas). This thread here now is after 2nd shop/tune.

I don't mean to speak for the guy, but I think he said the bike ran great after the 2nd shop/tune. But now, after riding who knows how many miles, he is experiencing issues.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-26-2018, 08:10 AM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Quote:
He actually took it to two different shops as I understand. The first shop totally messed up his tune, the 2nd shop had a good tune on paper (185bhp pump gas). This thread here now is after 2nd shop/tune.

I don't mean to speak for the guy, but I think he said the bike ran great after the 2nd shop/tune. But now, after riding who knows how many miles, he is experiencing issues.
Thanks for clarifying. Seems like the OP has had a lot of bad luck with whatever shop he takes his bike to.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-26-2018, 08:28 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. Seems like the OP has had a lot of bad luck with whatever shop he takes his bike to.
No kidding man haha I've got most of the bike apart today. I installed block-off plates in the mean time. I'm going to test the coils and plugs today (for peace of mind) and make sure everything is firing properly before I put everything back together. Once I've got all that wrapped up I'm going to ride the bike. Try to replicate the issue. If it still happens I'm going to re-flash the ECU with the Graves supplied settings and repeat... if it still happens I'm going to rip the PCV out and make sure that's not a lemon... and after that I'm headed to the dealer @ $100 an hour
post #10 of 15 Old 05-26-2018, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I pulled and checked each coil-pack. They checked out OK.
Pulled spark plugs... they seem to have pretty normal wear but I figured I'd share and see what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0658.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	417458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0659.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	417466  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in