Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

What Does This Do?

Gen 5: 2016-20 
4K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  welsen_choy 
#1 ·
Can someone tell me where this hose goes or what it does?
Been having some issues today.
1: Bike sputters and loses power when holding RPM steady
2: Bike stalled on me twice when I pulled the clutch in
3: Tank is building up excessive pressure each time I go around the block
Propped the tank and saw both hoses on the left and right side unplugged (from when my tuner replaced my filter & v-stacks)
What do these hoses do? Is either of them being unplugged the cause of my issues possibly?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
One hose is a vent for gas overflow, the other is for gas pressure overflow. What the hose you show in your picture is, not sure, guessing it is one of those, and looks like the nipple that the hose connects to was pulled from the tank???

As far as the issues you are seeing. I don't know man, might want to use FTECU, and try the Graves tune or the unrestricted tune. You have gotten your license issue squared away right?

Edited to add: If you use FTECU, make sure you take a full reading of your ECU first, and save that so you don't loose the map from the tuner.

#4 ·
I should’ve been clear with the pictures. They’re both pics of the same hose (the right one). I know they’re normally connected from past experience, I just wanted to show that they’re disconnected. I didn’t wanna bundle everything up though and go out for another rip and find out that wasn’t the problem. Since i’ve got the tank and airbox complete out I might as well check out the spark plugs... <3K miles though I doubt they’re even any bit toasted. If everything checks out maybe i’ll do a reflash and try to replicate the issue. Might even go as far as taking the PCV out of this continues and see if maybe the PCV is the problem.

#7 ·
He actually took it to two different shops as I understand. The first shop totally messed up his tune, the 2nd shop had a good tune on paper (185bhp pump gas). This thread here now is after 2nd shop/tune.

I don't mean to speak for the guy, but I think he said the bike ran great after the 2nd shop/tune. But now, after riding who knows how many miles, he is experiencing issues.

#11 · (Edited)
Put everything back together and was able to replicate the stalling issue. Would basically rev the engine and past a certain RPM it would straight up take crap as if the killswitch was hit. I tagged a video for reference. I decided to re-flash the ECU with the Graves pre-set and update the firmware on the PCV.
Wasn't able to replicate the issue after that. Only rev'd it up briefly though. Also re-attached those hoses obviously lol. I'm headed up north and plan to take the bike out as soon as I get back so fingers crossed that simple software refresh helped eliminate this bikes mood swing. I also eliminated the PCV map switch to start crossing things off the "issue root cause list".

#12 ·
The take away here is don't start ripping your bike apart guessing as to what the problem might be. Just let me guess what the fix is first, lol. So I was either spot on, or very close (didn't know you weren't on latest PC firmware).

BTW, your plugs look fine in the 2nd picture, the look to have carbon buildup (too rich) in the first. I chalk it up to lighting, so since the 2nd picture has better lighting, I'm betting your plugs are fine.

#13 · (Edited)
I wasn't sure whether or not I was on the latest PCV firmware. I purchased the unit this year with the latest firmware update being in 2017 so I figured it'd at least be something to check off the list. I was already planning on installing block-off plates this week so I took the time to go further and check all the hose lines, clean up the PCV/ECU, and check the coils/plugs. I was able to put everything back together, re-flash with the OG Graves FT ECU data, go for a ride, and everything was spot on for more than half an hour (no power loss or sputtering as mentioned in my previous thread), but right as I was pulling into my neighborhood it stalled on me, clutch-in, coming to a stop. The gas tank still seems to have some pressure built up after my rides. Not sure if that's even any bit related to my phenomenon though. TBH I haven't gotten a chance to really ride the bike this year with all the recalls and tuning services, so I'm not 100% sure if I'm just over-reacting and the little bit of pressure is natural in this warm weather. I'm going to visit the dealer tomorrow though and have this stalling sorted out... no time to screw around when I could be riding my other bikes vs. wrenching on them. No relative information out there regarding random stalling as far as I know so it's not worth my time to play darts blindfolded trying to guess what could be wrong.

#14 ·
1: My bike would sputter and lose power when holping RPM steady after I had my ECU reflashed. I spoke to the tuner and he had me unplug my o2 sensor. Everything has been perfect ever since. 2016 model with cat delete and graves slip on.

2: My bike has been doing this since new (shutting down randomly while pulling in the clutch), only while in quickshift mode and it is very random. No resolution and dealer can not figure it out.

3: Not having this issue with my ZX10R
, but did have a 09 Suzuki GSXR 750 track bike that would do it, but never caused any issues with running properly.

#15 ·
Well... good news and bad news. The good news is that the bike is problem free! The bad news is I never figured out what the hell the problem was.
Yesterday afternoon after making sure the battery/stator/regulator were in working order with a multimeter I figured I'd start the bike up and see if I could replicate the issue again and just listen/look for any more root cause indicators... no luck! I took the bike out and replicated everything that was giving me issues-
Steady throttle at medium-high RPMs: Constant power, no cutting.
Decel to a complete stop: No stall
Clutch-in to a complete stop: No stall
Tank pressure after ride: None

Literally what the hell :lol: I guess this bike was on it's period or something. I'll keep an eye out to see if anything comes creeping back but for now (knock on wood) we're safe. I suspect that something was either plugging up the fueling and made it's way out or there could have been a hose kinked either for tank venting or fueling that wiggled free... not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.