Voltage Regulator-Rectifier?? - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 20 Old 11-24-2016, 11:36 PM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

Yes, the reg/rec will die. If you can get your nose on it, it will smell like burnt electrical equipment if it's toast.

lost 2 on the CBR.

they get hot and burn up, make sure they are clear of any obstructions or air flow restrictions.

what you describe is the classic reg/rec fail battery dies, charge it up, run the bike... battery dies.

If it were the gen coils, the bike wouldn't run on a bump start, really with the reg/rec toast the bike shouldn't run on a bump start. But if you let the bike sit for a bit, the battery may have had a little life in it, enough to get you home.

get a new reg/rec They do go.

Need to know how to install your Rifleman's 1/5th throttle insert? click me
For more info on a sticky grip (not enough cable slack) click me
And another amazing install write up click this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
lol, once you go 1/5th... you NEVER go back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 Old 11-25-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the insight Rifleman, one final question I am curious about though. In your experience, when the R-R unit goes out, does it go high or low voltage output and does it just quit completely or sometime work and sometimes not depending upon temperature?

This battery also has me scratching my head as it shows an apparent full charge but nothing but relay chatter with starter on, like it's got a couple of dead cells.

Thanks!

2016 ZX-10R KRT
2016 Ducati 959 Red
2015 CBR1000RR SP Repsol
2012 CBR1000RR Red
2011 ZX-10R Ebony
2009 ZX-6R Lime Green
2006 ZX-14 Passion Red
2004 VTX-1300C

"For we walk by faith and not by sight"
2 Corinthians 5-7
post #13 of 20 Old 11-25-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Put in a new OEM Lead-Acid battery this morning and it cranked right up, the WPS Lithium is smoke apparently. Shows good open circuit voltage but then dies under cranking loads. Regulator-Rectifier is toast also , showing zero charging now, sure hope it didn't take out the generator coils along with it. I'll have the R-R unit replaced under the recall and see if that doesn't fix the problem. I doubt they will warranty the generator coils if it smoked those also.

2016 ZX-10R KRT
2016 Ducati 959 Red
2015 CBR1000RR SP Repsol
2012 CBR1000RR Red
2011 ZX-10R Ebony
2009 ZX-6R Lime Green
2006 ZX-14 Passion Red
2004 VTX-1300C

2 Corinthians 5-7

post #14 of 20 Old 11-25-2016, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Rifleman, when your R-R failed did it smoke the generator stator coils? I'm trying to piece all this together and it appears mine may have failed to the high voltage side rather than low voltage side. If it had failed to the low side it wouldn't have killed the lithium battery I'm guessing. If it failed high, it probably took out the battery and then running wide open might have taken out the stator coils with it. After the first time it died, it was showing a solid 14.67 volts charging system voltage so well within specs. I saw no evidence of either over or under volt until now. Only way to know for sure now is to get a new regulator and see if it's going to charge. Stator coils run about $300, regulator is $259, expensive stuff!

2016 ZX-10R KRT
2016 Ducati 959 Red
2015 CBR1000RR SP Repsol
2012 CBR1000RR Red
2011 ZX-10R Ebony
2009 ZX-6R Lime Green
2006 ZX-14 Passion Red
2004 VTX-1300C

2 Corinthians 5-7
post #15 of 20 Old 11-25-2016, 01:55 PM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

well it depends on what fries first.

if the Regulator goes, your voltage will go high (actually had that happen on my GS550) the Headlight would go really REALLY bright and then finally burn out. I burned out dash lights, turn signals, just about every light.

the regulator part limits down stream voltage to like 15 volts and dumps the rest to ground, that's why they get hot. When you are running under 5 or 6k RPM, the generator isn't producing enough to feed the loads so the battery covers the loads, but as you cruise down the road at 8k RPM for 25 minutes the generator is over producing so the reg/rec is dumping that extra to ground.

If the rectifier burns out... no voltage/amps are being lined from the generator and line voltage is what ever battery voltage is.

So it can do either, high or low/none voltage.

and it can fail, then cool down, and work again (for a bit) so it's a tough one to track down.

but you have the classic symptoms... a good battery that suddenly goes dead for no good reason, and a bike that just dies out of no where. My CBR died at 60mph on the highway when the first reg/rec went.

hope that helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
Thanks for the insight Rifleman, one final question I am curious about though. In your experience, when the R-R unit goes out, does it go high or low voltage output and does it just quit completely or sometime work and sometimes not depending upon temperature?

This battery also has me scratching my head as it shows an apparent full charge but nothing but relay chatter with starter on, like it's got a couple of dead cells.

Thanks!
LDH likes this.

Quote:
post #16 of 20 Old 11-25-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

OK thanks Rifleman, I called the dealer and gave them my VIN number and they ordered me a new reg-rectifier unit under the recall, no charge for parts or labor. They said I can make an appointment and bring the bike over and they'll change it while I wait, the Service Bulletin calls for.4 hours labor. Now he wasn't sure if I smoked my stator coils, the Service Manager said they typically don't but we won't know for sure until I get there and they get the new R-R unit on there. I checked the lighting this evening and it blew out both low and high beam headlights but the rest of the lights and instrument gauge cluster seemed to be working fine.
Did you smoke the stator coils on your GS-550 when it went high or just the headlights?

2016 ZX-10R KRT
2016 Ducati 959 Red
2015 CBR1000RR SP Repsol
2012 CBR1000RR Red
2011 ZX-10R Ebony
2009 ZX-6R Lime Green
2006 ZX-14 Passion Red
2004 VTX-1300C

2 Corinthians 5-7
post #17 of 20 Old 11-25-2016, 10:13 PM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

stator coils stayed good on the GS. just when the voltage regulator crapped out, the line voltage jumped pretty good depending on engine RPM. I think it's tops out at like 70 volts at 10k RPM at least on the Zukies.

cooks your battery too... super over charge.

it's a quick and easy, two bolts hold it on, plug and play. should be under the seat or on the side near the pillion seat, not sure of the location on the 10R but they have to be somewhere that gets some air flow, cuz they do get hot.

this is the CBR Reg/Rec, notice the little "spot" where the magic escaped.

this is the old and new, on the CBR it's on the right side, behind the faring near the pillion seat.

Quote:
post #18 of 20 Old 11-26-2016, 11:41 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Hi Rifleman, thanks for those pics. I'm anticipating the worst case scenario now and thinking my stator is cooked, reason is the charging output has now dropped to battery voltage, 12.60 volts, zero output from the charging system. My Reg-Rectifier unit failed high and then went to zero, so I'm guessing to do that it must have shorted the stator coils out. I can't see anything in the R-R unit that would fail and shut down all voltage to the charging system unless all six diodes in the bridge rectifier opened. That is a possibility I guess, only way to know for sure is pull this thing apart and check the stator output voltage at the R-R unit. The Service Manager said the output should be about 70 volts AC across all three phases taken in pairs when revved up and the voltages should be very close between the phases. I'll keep you posted on how this all turns out. Man I wish I 'd taken it in early and gotten that R-R changed when the recall first came out. My thoughts were I've been riding it for 7 years with no issues, maybe I dodged the bullet...lol!

2016 ZX-10R KRT
2016 Ducati 959 Red
2015 CBR1000RR SP Repsol
2012 CBR1000RR Red
2011 ZX-10R Ebony
2009 ZX-6R Lime Green
2006 ZX-14 Passion Red
2004 VTX-1300C

2 Corinthians 5-7
post #19 of 20 Old 12-09-2016, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Update: My dealer replaced my voltage regulator/rectifier under a recall on Tuesday morning and the tech told me the bike is now charging fine, rode it home without further incident.

The reg unit was melted down, had a hole similar to the Rifleman photo.

The reg apparently failed to high voltage and smoked my lithium ion battery and blew out both headlights.

2016 ZX-10R KRT
2016 Ducati 959 Red
2015 CBR1000RR SP Repsol
2012 CBR1000RR Red
2011 ZX-10R Ebony
2009 ZX-6R Lime Green
2006 ZX-14 Passion Red
2004 VTX-1300C

2 Corinthians 5-7
post #20 of 20 Old 12-10-2016, 11:46 PM
Of course you are faster

Posting Frequency

Glad you got it sorted, it's one of those things that feels like you have gremlins in your bike because all kinds of stuff goes sideways, burned out head lights, battery after battery goes bad (or so it seems).

now ride and enjoy

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in