Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

Track day. Brake fade

2K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  rcannon 
#1 ·
Had a severe brake fade. I was going strong. And the brake feeling became erratic. All of a suden lever came closer to the bar. Thank god was end of a straight. 4th gear wot to red line.
Kept going straight on the run out and stoped the bike. Then the brakes where non existent. Until I was on the paddocks.

Old brake fluid. Repsol 5.1
Almost done oem brake pads 1.5mm left

M4 calipers and rcs19 master

Waited 30 min and brakes back to normal....

Any sugestions. Besides the ovious repace brake fluid and put new pads

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk

#5 ·
Aside from replacing the fluid and the pads with something up to date and new, I'd suggest just not using the brakes so hard. That should help. :badteeth: :helmet:

:crackup:

#7 ·
Jajajjajajajajjsjaja. Might help not braking so much entering the curves.......
:idea: That would help for sure! :crackup:

If brakes are really needed, then new track orientated pads and new fluid would be the next option to update. :helmet:

#11 · (Edited)
Is this a GEN4 by chance? I had the same issue on my GEN4. I wouldn't get half way through a race when the lever kept creeping back to my knuckles to where I would have to adjust it out farther on the fly or I wouldn't have full braking. Assuming you've already replaced the fluid and still have the problem it was suggested to me to use the Carbone Lorraine pads, which did help "a little" but I still had the problem. I put braided lines on and I haven't had a significant problem since.

#14 ·
My GEN4 isn't ABS. The ABS lines on a GEN4 are rubber? My GEN5 has ABS but it has steel lines for the ABS system and braided lines from the factory between master cylinder, calipers and ABS system, except for one small rubber rubber piece under the triples which I find odd. No fade issues on my GEN5 at all.

#16 ·
ABS Delete, just buy the non-abs lines, they're cheaper :) Of course if you ride street a lot may as well keep the ABS since it could save your life in a panic brake situation, but abs lines will cost you three arms and a leg as you already know.

At the risk of riling up the Anti-EBC crowd:
I run EBC EPFA pads on my G1 street bike with motul 5.1 - some slow track days, no fade, more brake than needed for low-med pace sessions
I run EBC GPFAX pads on my G4 track bike with motul 660 - still more brake than needed at my current pace and no appreciable fade, even monday and tuesday in 108-112*F temps.

#18 · (Edited)
When the pad material gets that thin you end up transmitting all that heat generated by friction into the brake fluid through the backing plates. Since brake fluid is hygroscopic the water that has been absorbed in the brake fluid as it ages heats up and then gasses out causing the lines to get mushy.

#20 ·
I've boiled RBF600 when I took my street bike out on track...lots of fun coming in with suddenly very weak brakes.

RBF660 is all I use now.

Race pads (but I'm racing so I want to know they work). HH on my street bike, which has been fine the times I've had it on track.

Had to swap out my MC - kept getting brake fade after an "at pace" session with the stocker (Gen 5) - put on a Galespeed, problem solved, love it.

#24 ·
#25 ·
Im hoping you bought the rcs 17, or soemthign sized like that.

The calipers use 4 30mm pistons. Same is also true of the pre 2016 Brembo calipers, too. That goes back to @ 2010. The 08-10 use 2 31mm, 2 30mm pistons...

The rcs 17 is the better choice. The 19's piston is too large to be a great match.

The recommendation is printed here, and the math involved favors the 17, too:

https://www.oppracing.com/product_d...mm-radial-m50-cast-caliper-set-calipers-only/

Im sure you could get by with the 19, but anyone who buys an aftermarket master wants more than "get by".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.