Thinking of Moving to New R1 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 05-15-2017, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thinking of Moving to New R1

My '12 ZX10 has been a phenomenal bike for 5th seasons of riding but its getting time to get something new. I've ridden a demo R1 on track and several on street rides and gotta say I'm impressed. Ironically I've not had the chance to ride 16+ ZX10 so I'm not really sure how they compare. Has anyone ridden (or preferably owned) both that can comment?

I'm primarily a track rider, street riding is not a huge priority for me tho I do get out once in a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 05-15-2017, 12:39 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Going from a ZX10r to an R1 is kinda like having a hot wife that is like cool as shit and you catch all the guys eyeing her when she walks down the road but shes 100% dedicated to you and then you leave her for a dude because you find out you're gay.

82 GS450L- Bobber Project
06 636- Sold
07 R1- Lost
08 zx10r- Lost
09 zx10r- Totaled 8/3/14
07 cbr600rr- Track - Sold
12 EX250r- Womans - Kissed a guardrail
13 zx10r- Old street - Sold
14 SSR Lifan 180cc Pit Bike- Fun machine
15 zx10r- New street

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

post #3 of 31 Old 05-15-2017, 01:13 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The R1 is like a butter faced girl. From behind she's super hot with the finest ass you've ever seen but when you get around to see her face with those wide set bug eyes and flat nose you throw up just a little bit.

That being said, just ride her doggy style and it's all good. The R1 beats the gen 5 in pretty much every shootout I've seen so it's clearly the better track weapon.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone S20/T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, Showa BFRC Lite w/ ukzx10r's plates & 5th Gen dogbone, GP shift, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, set up by RMR Suspensions, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modified OEM sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 40,000km+ and going strong!

post #4 of 31 Old 05-15-2017, 01:16 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post
The R1 is like a butter faced girl. From behind she's super hot with the finest ass you've ever seen but when you get around to see her face with those wide set bug eyes and flat nose you throw up just a little bit.

That being said, just ride her doggy style and it's all good. The R1 beats the gen 5 in pretty much every shootout I've seen so it's clearly the better track weapon.
We call those 50 yarders

82 GS450L- Bobber Project
06 636- Sold
07 R1- Lost
08 zx10r- Lost
09 zx10r- Totaled 8/3/14
07 cbr600rr- Track - Sold
12 EX250r- Womans - Kissed a guardrail
13 zx10r- Old street - Sold
14 SSR Lifan 180cc Pit Bike- Fun machine
15 zx10r- New street

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

post #5 of 31 Old 05-15-2017, 01:23 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I have had both both. I like the R1 15+ more for the street and 16+ KRT for the track. The R1 has a great gauge cluster with some really cool stuff. Though it needs to be in track mode to really be able to see it at the track. On the R1 you can turn lift control off independently of the T/C whereas on the Gen 5 it is built in. R1 doesn't have M50 brembo calipers, brembo master, brembo reservoir, like the Gen 5 does. I have some buddies with 15+ R1's and i can out stop them on the track and street on the zx10 with stock pads. And a couple of them have upgraded pads on their R1's ZX10 has the external reservoir shocks and BFRC shock, auto blip down shifts are unlocked as part of the ecu flash (Nels did it for me) but on the R1 you have to buy a $700 part to make clutchless auto blip down shifts work. R1 doesn't have full braided brake lines like the zx10 does. Zx10 has 90 degree valve stems. R1 makes less peak power but makes more torque and usable power on the street. R1 crossplane sounds really cool. The R1 is a bit lighter and feels more narrow. Yamaha developed the R1's electronics in house whereas most use Bosch. The 2015 R1's had a transmission recall that meant every 2015 R1 and R1M engine's had to be cracked open by dealer techs :(. Which is why I no longer have my 2015 R1. R1 stands out more since yamaha completely redesigned the way the bike looks, where the Gen 5 looks like any other zx10.

For the money the 2016+ ZX10R has more high end parts and accessories are cheaper. But the R1 is still an awesome bike, just do not buy a 2015 R1.

2016 Kawasaki ZX10R KRT ABS
2016 Suzuki GSX-S 1000 ABS
post #6 of 31 Old 05-15-2017, 03:44 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I also had a 15 R1 and as mentioned above, that recall is why I no longer own one. It was my first and only Yamaha, just not very impressed with their quality. For the pricing you can get a new 16 ZX10 for, the decision for me was simple
post #7 of 31 Old 05-15-2017, 03:47 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

liked the R1 handling vs my gen4 (nitron shock), but just a bit....
power is usable, but you need to get your head around it... it comes different flavor.

think the gen5 is a better track weapon but not by much... vs a gen4 the R1 is a better weapon by much.
post #8 of 31 Old 05-15-2017, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschenut View Post

I'd be lying if I said looks don't matter at all but if a bike makes you feel like superman, it can be the ugliest thing on earth and it will be beautiful! Actually I think the R1 looks good.
post #9 of 31 Old 05-15-2017, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijack View Post
I have had both both. I like the R1 15+ more for the street and 16+ KRT for the track. The R1 has a great gauge cluster with some really cool stuff. Though it needs to be in track mode to really be able to see it at the track. On the R1 you can turn lift control off independently of the T/C whereas on the Gen 5 it is built in. R1 doesn't have M50 brembo calipers, brembo master, brembo reservoir, like the Gen 5 does. I have some buddies with 15+ R1's and i can out stop them on the track and street on the zx10 with stock pads. And a couple of them have upgraded pads on their R1's ZX10 has the external reservoir shocks and BFRC shock, auto blip down shifts are unlocked as part of the ecu flash (Nels did it for me) but on the R1 you have to buy a $700 part to make clutchless auto blip down shifts work. R1 doesn't have full braided brake lines like the zx10 does. Zx10 has 90 degree valve stems. R1 makes less peak power but makes more torque and usable power on the street. R1 crossplane sounds really cool. The R1 is a bit lighter and feels more narrow. Yamaha developed the R1's electronics in house whereas most use Bosch. The 2015 R1's had a transmission recall that meant every 2015 R1 and R1M engine's had to be cracked open by dealer techs :(. Which is why I no longer have my 2015 R1. R1 stands out more since yamaha completely redesigned the way the bike looks, where the Gen 5 looks like any other zx10.

For the money the 2016+ ZX10R has more high end parts and accessories are cheaper. But the R1 is still an awesome bike, just do not buy a 2015 R1.
No question the Gen 5 ZX10 is a better value but as you said, the R1 counters in other areas like electronics, they truly are game changing from what I experienced.

The other part of the equation is getting something *new* as in completely different motorcycle. My ZX10 has been very good to me but sometimes you just want some strange rather than your girlfriends younger sister....
post #10 of 31 Old 05-15-2017, 06:48 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I think you need to ride a gen 5. It may just be me but I don't find it similar to my gen 4 at all. From brakes to riding position to power delivery it's a different bike to me. Don't just look at it as a gen 4 with lipstick. Having said this I also like the R1 but you've ridden one so there isn't much for me to add

More cowbell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.