11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 32 Old 05-16-2017, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp12 View Post
think your mind is made....

I honestly think there is no bad bike (except the honda piece of sh)... suzuki, yamaha or kawa... all good choices.
Totally agree, especially re Honda. I owned 3 CBR1000RR's (04, 08, 10) and they all burned oil to varying degrees, the 08 burned more oil than gas and eventually lost so much compression it wouldn't start. You may ask why I bought 3 of them if they are so bad? There is no easy answer, the 08 was (I thought) a steal at $7000 new, if I only knew what would become of it. The'10 was bought shortly after getting the 08 and I was still in denial of their issues....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 Old 05-16-2017, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRTone View Post
Not trying to derail, but curious what it was about Aprilia why you wouldn't return? Was it Piaggio? I was dead set on picking up a white 2017 ZX10R, but found a great deal on a leftover 2016 RSV4 RR.
Be wary of your RSV4's exhaust valves (do a search on AF1 forum) and getting prompt and quality service from Piaggio and most Aprilia dealers.

I got rid of my '13 Tuono because I was tired of all the poorly executed bits on the bike; gas tank that swells from ethanol in fuel, shit hose clamps that leak, plastic coolant manifold, a shit oil drain plug design that will crack the oil pan when torquing to factory specs, valve clearances out of spec on a new bike, burned out stator just to name a few off the top of my head. Then top it all off with shit support and parts availability.

The straw that broke the camel's back was finding defective (pitted) intake cams, search on AF1 forum for all the gory details. I put up with all the shit for 3 yrs because it was a wonderful bike to ride but I've had enough.

I know you must enjoy riding your RSV4 but prepare yourself for the eventual problems, its no ZX10 with regard to reliability.
post #23 of 32 Old 05-16-2017, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnG View Post
I know everyones budget is different but could you swing just keeping the 4th gen and buying the R1 as a second bike? pretty sure i have seen you floating around the Aprilia forum so you might already have two bikes but the way i see it is the resale on the 4th gens are so low you might as well just keep it.
It had crossed my mind to keep the ZX10 but I can use the money from selling (or savings from trading) to outfit my next bike with track goodies. A new bike plus suspension/track oriented bits will top $20k, no small purchase, at least not for me.

post #24 of 32 Old 05-16-2017, 07:58 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwell427 View Post
I know you must enjoy riding your RSV4 but prepare yourself for the eventual problems, its no ZX10 with regard to reliability.

Appreciate the honesty lol. I did a ton of research before taking the plunge, but there's nothing like ownership experience. Going to take it all in and see how the bike and manufacturer treat me. If all goes to shit hopefully there'll be a Gen 6 out by then
post #25 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 08:49 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bidwell427 View Post
Be wary of your RSV4's exhaust valves (do a search on AF1 forum) and getting prompt and quality service from Piaggio and most Aprilia dealers.

I got rid of my '13 Tuono because I was tired of all the poorly executed bits on the bike; gas tank that swells from ethanol in fuel, shit hose clamps that leak, plastic coolant manifold, a shit oil drain plug design that will crack the oil pan when torquing to factory specs, valve clearances out of spec on a new bike, burned out stator just to name a few off the top of my head. Then top it all off with shit support and parts availability.

The straw that broke the camel's back was finding defective (pitted) intake cams, search on AF1 forum for all the gory details. I put up with all the shit for 3 yrs because it was a wonderful bike to ride but I've had enough.

Pretty much everything you stated happened with my 13 rsv4 including dropping an exhaust valve at just 6K miles.
post #26 of 32 Old 05-17-2017, 09:20 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Apes are a story of their own, with problems... is an experience...
and pre 17 rsv4 are way down on power.
post #27 of 32 Old 05-20-2017, 10:17 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

I would make the g4 track with your mind set.
post #28 of 32 Old 05-20-2017, 11:06 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I have dyno numbers on my 13 10r and my friends 15 r1. Similar mods, I tuned both bikes. My 4th gen makes 4 more go at the tire but the r1 makes more power in the mid by like 6hp.

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
post #29 of 32 Old 05-21-2017, 09:38 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victors View Post
I have dyno numbers on my 13 10r and my friends 15 r1. Similar mods, I tuned both bikes. My 4th gen makes 4 more go at the tire but the r1 makes more power in the mid by like 6hp.
And a track rat on a 250 will shred both.
post #30 of 32 Old 05-22-2017, 08:39 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
And a track rat on a 250 will shred both.
And sometimes the grass is green..

2013 10R
2007 650R
2016 10R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.