Gen 4: 2011-2015 Switching from a ZX-10R - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 11-09-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
Switching from a ZX-10R

Hey ZX-10R Net,

I saw this question posted on another forum and I figured I would ask it here. I will probably get a lot of crap for this post, but I feel the need to after my disappointment with Kawasaki.

About 3 months ago I picked up a pristine 2014 ZX10R ABS for a little under 9k. It was my upgrade from my '11 CBR600RR. At first I fell in love with the bike. Everything from the color to the butter smooth shifting but now I feel like I am wanting more out of the bike and it wasn't such a huge upgrade. Maybe I just wasn't feeling out the features of the bike to well initially and was just awestruck by the amazing power of it in the higher RPMs. Anyways, I have been feeling as though maybe I should have gotten a Panigale 899 or saved up a little more for a used Panigale 1199.

I'm sure the majority on here will side with Kawi being this is posted on a Kawi forum, but I wanted to see if anyone has switched or maybe own both and why you like one bike over the other excluding the maintenance factor.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-09-2017, 04:55 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

We all want a mistress. I've had many bikes but never a Ducati. A good friend of mine just got rid of his 1199. At first he was very happy with it . After a while he didn't like the way the power surges . It ate a lot of oil and eventually he Ran it low on oil because he had never imagined it would eat so much in such a small amount of miles. He took it to a shop to have it inspected and it turned out it had problems with the motor. They opened the motor up to find extra parts in the valve train. Most of the work was covered by warranty after a huge fight with Ducati. He ended up getting the bike back in selling it. The bike had about 4000 miles total. This is not something I would want to do.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-09-2017, 07:06 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

g4 is excellent but wear out fast so must have extended warranty if you ride a lot.

You noticed the power range yet it scared you; so too much bike, which is a problem.

If I was you go cross r1 as it's like a twin and better value that the bike you mentioned.

On the other hand, if you don't ride much, then just buy Code's TW II book and learn tips from the master.

However, if you ride a lot and trying to figure out whatever I'd sell your bike and buy a cbr liter as I'm not sure about the g5 holding up to time as of yet.

Good luck!

post #4 of 12 Old 11-09-2017, 09:08 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Well, you'd better like your meatballs cooked well done! Other than that, the higher price and the poor reliability the Panigale is pretty sweet. I'd love to have one, but not for daily use.

2013 ABS, Bridgestone T30 Evo, Woolich, Danmoto shorty & link, Rifleman's 1/5th turn, K&N, GP shift, Gen5 shock/links/dogbone, JT (-1/+0), EK, Shorai, EBC HH, AllBallz roller steering, heated grips, shorty levers, MotoDynamic signals & relay, plasti-dipped and vinyl wrapped (all green to black), Bestem carbon, PUIG Pro sliders, solo cowl, modded sprocket cover, TST fender elim. w/LEDs. 45,000km+ and going strong!
post #5 of 12 Old 11-10-2017, 03:04 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by depikT View Post
Hey ZX-10R Net,

I saw this question posted on another forum and I figured I would ask it here. I will probably get a lot of crap for this post, but I feel the need to after my disappointment with Kawasaki.

About 3 months ago I picked up a pristine 2014 ZX10R ABS for a little under 9k. It was my upgrade from my '11 CBR600RR. At first I fell in love with the bike. Everything from the color to the butter smooth shifting but now I feel like I am wanting more out of the bike and it wasn't such a huge upgrade. Maybe I just wasn't feeling out the features of the bike to well initially and was just awestruck by the amazing power of it in the higher RPMs. Anyways, I have been feeling as though maybe I should have gotten a Panigale 899 or saved up a little more for a used Panigale 1199.

I'm sure the majority on here will side with Kawi being this is posted on a Kawi forum, but I wanted to see if anyone has switched or maybe own both and why you like one bike over the other excluding the maintenance factor.

Thanks.
I be up in your forums trollin and baitin

1976 250 Elsinore Sold
1997 600R Sold
1976 KZ 900 Sold
2003 1500 Meanstreak Sold
2006 DL 650 Sold
2002 919 Hornet Sold
2004 ZX-10R
post #6 of 12 Old 11-10-2017, 07:55 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Garage
I've had a Panigale 1199 S for about a year and a half and I cannot wait to get my GEN1 back together. Don't get me wrong, the DUC is a great bike for the track. But I can't afford to wad the thing so the 700 miles I have put on it, have been when it's cool enough in Phoenix to ride it. Riding season is almost here for the DUC! Still in the 80-90's....

2005 Ti 10R
2014 1199 Panigale S
post #7 of 12 Old 11-15-2017, 02:08 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I haven't been here for awhile...but all the Ducati owners I know complain about the heat and the terrible riding position and settings for the street. Ducati is a track bike as far as I am concerned. Secondly, maintenance is high. I have ridden an S1000RR and done 0 to 100 mph with my friend twice and clearly beaten him soundly his BMW to my ZX-10R. Secondly, I have around $10,000+ invested in my Gen 4 abs and a Panigale can't pass me. One of my friends bought an R1M and he can't get the damn throttle to work smoothly...too abrupt and it's been on Attack's dyno twice. My bike makes 185 RWHP and it isn't the highest power, but it is the smoothest from bottom to top and that where you need it most. It is totally comfortable in all riding situations, and it's only the A group riders that are strong that I can't catch...and I'm 71 years old. Now that being said....let's check mods....I am up 2 in the back on the sprocket...change the gearing and it will be a totally different bike. Remove the muffler and replace it with an Akra shorty can with the restricter removed. If you can afford it, buy a fuel controller and get it mapped. All will make a difference. I have over 40,000 miles on my bike and I ride it very hard.

Last edited by Older Guy; 11-15-2017 at 02:16 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-15-2017, 02:13 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Ok
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dainese_Crush_040.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	407137  
Attached Images

post #9 of 12 Old 11-15-2017, 02:26 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Older Guy View Post
I haven't been here for awhile...but all the Ducati owners I know complain about the heat and the terrible riding position and settings for the street. Ducati is a track bike as far as I am concerned. Secondly, maintenance is high. I have ridden an S1000RR and done 0 to 100 mph with my friend twice and clearly beaten him soundly his BMW to my ZX-10R. Secondly, I have around $10,000+ invested in my Gen 4 abs and a Panigale can't pass me. One of my friends bought an R1M and he can't get the damn throttle to work smoothly...too abrupt and it's been on Attack's dyno twice. My bike makes 185 RWHP and it isn't the highest power, but it is the smoothest from bottom to top and that where you need it most. It is totally comfortable in all riding situations, and it's only the A group riders that are strong that I can't catch...and I'm 71 years old. Now that being said....let's check mods....I am up 2 in the back on the sprocket...change the gearing and it will be a totally different bike. Remove the muffler and replace it with an Akra shorty can with the restricter removed. If you can afford it, buy a fuel controller and get it mapped. All will make a difference. I have over 40,000 miles on my bike and I ride it very hard.
Maybe we have the same friend with the R1M( Rob Roy?) I agree with most of the above but really a lot of this comes down to the rider. 90% rider 10% bike or something like that. That said, I have a 2013 R1 that is still lurchy after all the fuelling work done, I am selling it soon.
post #10 of 12 Old 11-15-2017, 02:46 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prophet View Post
Maybe we have the same friend with the R1M( Rob Roy?) I agree with most of the above but really a lot of this comes down to the rider. 90% rider 10% bike or something like that. That said, I have a 2013 R1 that is still lurchy after all the fuelling work done, I am selling it soon.
Mike Diaz is his name and he's here in CA. The abrupt throttle is a problem with the R1M I've read in the reviews.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.